Why McCulloch Was The Wrong Man At The Wrong Time

mitch14

Really good article. The only bit I’d disagree with is your comment about Lee Irwin. Initially I thought he looked like a great signing. However recently he’s just looked like a younger Kris Boyd. Not the quickest and not the fittest. Maybe we’ve just ruined him like so many other players. Hopefully a new Manager can get the best out of him.

1 hour ago, mitch14 said:

Anyone travelling with the Killie fans to Somerset Park would have found a town energised by a new season, supporters groups going above and beyond to get tickets to fans and a noisy atmosphere. The optimism was punctured by a tactically inept performance which played into Ayr’s hands and ended in impotent embarrassment. It was nowhere near good enough.

agree with this completely

1 hour ago, Charlie's Dad said:

Really good article. The only bit I’d disagree with is your comment about Lee Irwin. Initially I thought he looked like a great signing. However recently he’s just looked like a younger Kris Boyd. Not the quickest and not the fittest. Maybe we’ve just ruined him like so many other players. Hopefully a new Manager can get the best out of him.

As above, I agree with most of the post. Cant see the point of Irwin though.

There appear to be obvious fitness issues with Erwin which aren’t helping. When you look at him play when he was at Well his game was about drifting into space and running at defences or using his pace and power against isolated defenders. So far we’ve been asking him to get on the end of hopeless hoofballs. If he’s lucky to his feet but more often than not pointlessly high and about 10yards either side of where he is. If he is fortunate enough to win the ball it’s rare that there is a team mate close enough to win the second ball.

I really enjoyed reading that mitch14 and agree with pretty much all of it apart from what's been stated above and the bit about McCulloch having shown some potential. It was a lazy, cheap decision by the Board and I only hope it hasn't affected the man personally because he seems a genuinely nice fella.

Agree with most of what you say the ayr game and the first home game were McCulloch big chance just win those two and what a lift it would have been both on and off the park but he failed miserably in both and the die was cast for what has followed.let's hope the club get the right man this time.

On Erwin he burst in to the scene at Well and did us both home and away. Scott McDonald was a big influence in his development. I agree with the comments asap fitness - after the Dundee fiasco I said his lack of jumping ability made Boyd look like Nadia Comaneci - but he is being given absolutely no chance with the appalling service. Deffo needs a McDonald character playing off him; still hopeful Brophy could give that a go. Anyway with a decent coach / tactics we should have a real dangerman. Great article btw!

1 hour ago, Mclean07 said:

There's a player in Erwin. Good at Motherwell and Oldham and he will cause trouble if used correctly. I was right about Jackson Irvine, so trust me on this one :) 

I agree it is unfair to judge the guy based on 90 minutes of long hopeful balls punted in his general direction. Against Hamilton he seemed ok when the ball was played to his feet. Still looks unfit as noted above.

26 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

I agree it is unfair to judge the guy based on 90 minutes of long hopeful balls punted in his general direction. Against Hamilton he seemed ok when the ball was played to his feet. Still looks unfit as noted above.

I'm not so sure he looks unfit, possibly been doing too many weights in the gym which can build up strength but sometimes you can lose the sharpness needed for the position he plays. I don't think he is an out and out target man type of player. He doesn't get anywhere near any high balls, to me he looks musclebound and heavy in the legs, and he isn't great at holding the ball up at times, but that doesn't mean he cannot be utilised elsewhere. He reminds me a bit of Magenis when he first came, we tried him wider than through the middle and as I said in another post, let's try him wide, give him the ball with a chance to face and run at the defender. The pitch is a problem as it is not wide enough for the strength that we have in wide players with pace, whoever made that decision should get their arse kicked. He may even do a job playing behind a target man, running on to the ball, worth a shot in my opinion.

10 hours ago, Mcilroy56 said:

I'm not so sure he looks unfit, possibly been doing too many weights in the gym which can build up strength but sometimes you can lose the sharpness needed for the position he plays. I don't think he is an out and out target man type of player. He doesn't get anywhere near any high balls, to me he looks musclebound and heavy in the legs, and he isn't great at holding the ball up at times, but that doesn't mean he cannot be utilised elsewhere. He reminds me a bit of Magenis when he first came, we tried him wider than through the middle and as I said in another post, let's try him wide, give him the ball with a chance to face and run at the defender. The pitch is a problem as it is not wide enough for the strength that we have in wide players with pace, whoever made that decision should get their arse kicked. He may even do a job playing behind a target man, running on to the ball, worth a shot in my opinion.

Interesting from someone who's walked the walk........