Why McCulloch Was The Wrong Man At The Wrong Time

mitch14

12 hours ago, Mcilroy56 said:

I'm not so sure he looks unfit, possibly been doing too many weights in the gym which can build up strength but sometimes you can lose the sharpness needed for the position he plays. I don't think he is an out and out target man type of player. He doesn't get anywhere near any high balls, to me he looks musclebound and heavy in the legs, and he isn't great at holding the ball up at times, but that doesn't mean he cannot be utilised elsewhere. He reminds me a bit of Magenis when he first came, we tried him wider than through the middle and as I said in another post, let's try him wide, give him the ball with a chance to face and run at the defender. The pitch is a problem as it is not wide enough for the strength that we have in wide players with pace, whoever made that decision should get their arse kicked. He may even do a job playing behind a target man, running on to the ball, worth a shot in my opinion.

It was posted here earlier in the season & on another thread, someone didn't submit the necessary paperwork to the SFA before the closing date to change the pitch dimensions, so apparently we are stuck with what we've got till next season.

22 hours ago, Mcilroy56 said:

I'm not so sure he looks unfit, possibly been doing too many weights in the gym which can build up strength but sometimes you can lose the sharpness needed for the position he plays. I don't think he is an out and out target man type of player. He doesn't get anywhere near any high balls, to me he looks musclebound and heavy in the legs, and he isn't great at holding the ball up at times, but that doesn't mean he cannot be utilised elsewhere. He reminds me a bit of Magenis when he first came, we tried him wider than through the middle and as I said in another post, let's try him wide, give him the ball with a chance to face and run at the defender. The pitch is a problem as it is not wide enough for the strength that we have in wide players with pace, whoever made that decision should get their arse kicked. He may even do a job playing behind a target man, running on to the ball, worth a shot in my opinion.

I agree, albeit with a lot less first-hand experience to call upon than you have of course. Erwin was never a centre forward at Motherwell, and was very effective against us running into the box from the right with the ball at his feet. Latest in an enormous line of recent players we haven't utilised properly.