Sell Rugby Park

Maverick11

Would you sell Rugby Park?  

320 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sell Rugby Park and build a smaller stadium if you could?

• Yes
    • No

Would you sell Rugby Park if you had the chance to create a new smaller stadium and adjoining training facilities?

Posted the following in the middle of the thread but thought it would be better placed at the front end:

Roughly you would probably get £2.8-3.5m for the land (excluding the hotel). Maybe another £0.8-1m if you include the hotel. (Based on Net Land Value of circa £350k per Net Developable Acre)

That's £3.6m-£4.5m

Billy Bowie is currently looking to spend significant monies ("as much as is needed") to meet Project Brave criteria which could be another £2m if conjectured figures are to be believed.

So that's £5.6-£6.5m

My view is that funding could also be leveraged from Sport Scotland/East Ayrshire Council and Scottish Government given scale of job losses in Kilmarnock and surrounding areas (proven through Project Halo)

New St Mirren Park cost £8m

Would it really be that unachievable?

Edited by Maverick11

Bit of a last resort. We should be looking at ways into moving fans into certain areas of the stadium to create more of at an atmosphere. We should look at maybe closing off the back third of the east. Put more fans together but keeping enough open to get fans out of heavy rain when it occurs. Get fans closer to the pitch should be a must though.

IMO we could get real money for it as it is in a sought after area.

I would re-visit the original idea Fleeting had of moving to Scott Ellis on the North side of the river and build a 10,000 stadium with decent access straight off the bypass for visiting fans. Apparently it only fell through because somebody wold not sell a tiny area which was vital to the plan.

Also the clown touncil could waken up too and realise the only way to sell the town all over the country is through the SPFL team. Someone from the Black Country in the Midlands only knew of Kilmarnock because the have a football team. Some help from them could be a plus.

And we could have real grass too. :) 

3 minutes ago, jack broon said:

Developers, it's in a "sought after" part of town

And it sits on a fair sized plot of land which should be worth a bob or two

Having considered how much developers paid for the land the flats occupy, adjusted for inflation, multipled by the size of the site and concluded we’d probably be looking at a new stadium with one stand, if someone was generous enough to donate us some free land, I’ll pass at this time. 

If we were leaving Rugby Park, it would need to be a joint venture imo. Otherwise I don’t think it’s viable in the current market. 

44 minutes ago, jasper said:

Why not just remove every second line of seats all through the stadium, starting with the East Stand. The increased space would mean a reduction in misery and doctor's lines.

On the contrary, Crosshouse A & E would be swamped with broken and sprained ankle injuries! 

5 minutes ago, kilm53 said:

Did Marie Macklin not want to do this a few years ago..a 10,000 seater new stadium wo7ld be big enough 

Yeah, this was in the original plans for her HALO project, but we're shelved and the college took that area of la down she had proposed. To be fair, it would be no use, traffic is bad enough there without dropping a 10,000 seater stadium.

I fear we are lumbered with what we have. The likes of St mirren and Livingston got their stadiums thanks to supermarkets buying the land their old stadiums were on, we're not going to get that. Our stadium is way too big for the support we have, a classic example of the Setanta era where money was flowing into Scottish football and we though we could compete with the premiership. What we are left now is a statue to that time and, seemingly the only Scottish football club that fell in to this mistake. At the time it seemed a great idea, big modern stadium, but Scottish football is dying and Rugby Park is the gravestone. 

13 minutes ago, Trojan76 said:

Yeah, this was in the original plans for her HALO project, but we're shelved and the college took that area of la down she had proposed. To be fair, it would be no use, traffic is bad enough there without dropping a 10,000 seater stadium.

No it wasn't, the HALO project is going ahead, the building itself was never big enough to accommodate a full size football pitch, I read that on here just recently. Amazing how rumours suddenly turn into fact if repeated often enough!

9 minutes ago, rb_506 said:

No it wasn't, the HALO project is going ahead, the building itself was never big enough to accommodate a full size football pitch, I read that on here just recently. Amazing how rumours suddenly turn into fact if repeated often enough!

I know the HALO project is going ahead, but th " sports arena " was included in origin plans