Problem #1

daviefaekillie

The structure of the club is piss poor. Any new manager of good quality that we would like to attract is going to want to know that we have a decent structure in place so he can do his job properly. There will be players who are now surplus to requirement that he will want moved on and need negotiated with - who do we currently have that is going to deal with that? Kirsten Callaghan? Billy Bowie? John Kiltie? The new director whose name I don't remember? I would suspect that none of them would be much good with a task such as that and if we don't get some sort of general manager in place that actually knows a fair bit about football and has the respect of players and agents then we will struggle to bring in the kind of coaching staff that are good enough to lift us out of our current predicament. I am basing this on a conversation I had with a potential candidate for the job and an agent. I have read the other threads and don't want to get into slagging anyone off, the perception is that we may have good people involved here but that there is something missing and that is a link between the playing side of things and the administration. Personally I think this is an easy fix, but we seem reluctant to sort it out

14 minutes ago, Whiskychimp said:

We don't seem to have any problem negotiating unwanted players out the door. In fact it's the one thing we're really good at

What makes you say we are good at it? Because they leave? Do you realise how much it has cost us in the past to get rid of unwanted players and staff? That's not what I construe as being good at it. I can think of a few off the top of my head that stick out as ridiculous. Sanjuan was still being paid years after he left, and there have been many more besides. On the other side of the coin we have to negotiate players in. Some of the contracts that have been given out during Lee McCulloch's time in charge have been the talk of the steamie in agents circles, they are laughing their heads off at us dishing out 3 year contracts to past it players. In fact no one in Scottish football other than Celtic can afford to do that. We can't hope to go on the way we have been doing and hope to be competitive in the transfer arena. We needed someone in there who would have told McCulloch that he wasn't getting to give his pals unwarranted contracts. We still need that going forward.

1 minute ago, daviefaekillie said:

What makes you say we are good at it? Because they leave? Do you realise how much it has cost us in the past to get rid of unwanted players and staff? That's not what I construe as being good at it. I can think of a few off the top of my head that stick out as ridiculous. Sanjuan was still being paid years after he left, and there have been many more besides. On the other side of the coin we have to negotiate players in. Some of the contracts that have been given out during Lee McCulloch's time in charge have been the talk of the steamie in agents circles, they are laughing their heads off at us dishing out 3 year contracts to past it players. In fact no one in Scottish football other than Celtic can afford to do that. We can't hope to go on the way we have been doing and hope to be competitive in the transfer arena. We needed someone in there who would have told McCulloch that he wasn't getting to give his pals unwarranted contracts. We still need that going forward.

Getting rid of unwanted players costs money. They have contracts. You want someone who can magically get rid for free? Doesn't exist.

Let me get this right, you want a manager who has no say over who we sign or for how long? Plus we've to offer players a contract which gives them no security and we can ditch them at any time. They'll be queueing up to be part of our club. 

25 minutes ago, Whiskychimp said:

Getting rid of unwanted players costs money. They have contracts. You want someone who can magically get rid for free? Doesn't exist.

Let me get this right, you want a manager who has no say over who we sign or for how long? Plus we've to offer players a contract which gives them no security and we can ditch them at any time. They'll be queueing up to be part of our club. 

Take it back a wee step champ, I want someone who won't give out ridiculous contracts in the first place! I see what you are saying but getting rid of players is an art in itself, you don't have to pay up their full contracts if you play it right, if you have contacts in the game you could also find them somewhere to go to alleviate any payment that you have to make, I'm not saying we need a magician, we need a negotiator who has the gravitas in the game to represent us well when we are up against it. I'm equally not saying that a manager shouldn't decide the length of contracts, but in this day and age he has a line manager to answer to and someone who tells him the budget we are operating within and have the knowledge to say no to a deal that could be detrimental to the club. Of course the manager picks the players, I never said he wouldn't. If managers were allowed carte blanche to do what they want how many players do you think we'd have in the squad? Do you think that Mourinho or Guardiola get final say on player contracts? I never once mentioned giving players contracts with no security or being able to ditch them at any time (zero hour contracts in football?), I don't know how you managed to get that out of what I said, but no club our size is giving out long contracts, why are we, especially to past it players? That's down to Lee of course, but someone should have been there to say no.

3 minutes ago, daviefaekillie said:

Take it back a wee step champ, I want someone who won't give out ridiculous contracts in the first place! I see what you are saying but getting rid of players is an art in itself, you don't have to pay up their full contracts if you play it right, if you have contacts in the game you could also find them somewhere to go to alleviate any payment that you have to make, I'm not saying we need a magician, we need a negotiator who has the gravitas in the game to represent us well when we are up against it. I'm equally not saying that a manager shouldn't decide the length of contracts, but in this day and age he has a line manager to answer to and someone who tells him the budget we are operating within and have the knowledge to say no to a deal that could be detrimental to the club. Of course the manager picks the players, I never said he wouldn't. If managers were allowed carte blanche to do what they want how many players do you think we'd have in the squad? Do you think that Mourinho or Guardiola get final say on player contracts? I never once mentioned giving players contracts with no security or being able to ditch them at any time (zero hour contracts in football?), I don't know how you managed to get that out of what I said, but no club our size is giving out long contracts, why are we, especially to past it players? That's down to Lee of course, but someone should have been there to say no.

I ca see what you're saying about a negotiator who can possibly move a player on with contacts. Can we really afford to pay someone who can actually do that job properly. That would involve an ex player with many contacts and a high degree of business acumen.  A good one of them must be as rare as rocking horse poop.

I actually can't see the comparison with Mourinho et al. They identify a player and the club make the best deal possible. When it come to those sums of money it's the club wanting long contracts. At our level it's the player. To get a player in offering a longer contract is sometimes necessary. We're not the only team in Scotland handing out 3 year deals. However we are the only club incapable of picking a manager who identifies the correct players. A DoF wouldn't solve that. Getting a manager who is competent is the solution to that.

Following from that, if you don't want long contracts and you don't want to give no security, what contracts would you offer? 

12 minutes ago, Whiskychimp said:

That would involve an ex player with many contacts and a high degree of business acumen.  A good one of them must be as rare as rocking horse poop.

Clubs use agents for this purpose.

"Find some mugs tae tak Broadfit aff oor haunds, FFS!"

Edited by skygod

Surely guys like Broadfoot and Burke who have had serious fitness issues in the past will have appearance clauses? I don't think for a second that they've given players who have played 3 and 6 games last season lengthy contracts without criteria to be met in order to see their contract out. I don't even think Lee McCulloch would have been daft enough to offer that.

8 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Surely guys like Broadfoot and Burke who have had serious fitness issues in the past will have appearance clauses? I don't think for a second that they've given players who have played 3 and 6 games last season lengthy contracts without criteria to be met in order to see their contract out. I don't even think Lee McCulloch would have been daft enough to offer that.

This, If i remember correctly a few years ago that Hooky needed to have played 25 games or something before getting his option for another years contract. He was 1 or 2 games short and kept out team for ages until finally gave him the extra games.