Damned Rebel Bitches

DuncanEwart

I went to see this play last night at the Harbour Arts Centre in Irvine. It was the first time I had been in the theatre there and it is a small intimate venue that I wouldn't think twice about visiting again. The play is ostensibly the story of 80 year old Ella and her sister Irene, orphaned during the Clydeside blitz, their lives in 1950s America and return to Scotland and a subsequent adventure in New York during 2012's Hurricane Sandy,  but it also pays homage to an entire post-war generation of women who refused to let life defeat them. It was funny, exciting, touching and life-affirming; a love story and also something of a ghost story with Ella's husband and Irene haunted by their experiences during the war (Pete fought in the Far East and Irene's visions of wolves taunting her are linked to her witnessing a dog savaging her mother's dead body during the blitz). The title is a disparaging quote from the Duke of Cumberland, speaking in reference to Jacobite women, which the play subverts and turns into a badge of honour. I left the theatre thinking not only about the play but also about my (sadly long gone) grannies.