nearly men again

Estonia thoroughly deserved the draw tonight, I would say they deserved the win. They were technically much better than us all over the park. Where do we go from here? I would argue that was the best Scotland squad in 20 years but we weren't good enough. I see a team that is aging with very few good young players coming through to fill the void. There has to be something far wrong in the whole SFA system of bringing through young players. I know what it is, what are your thoughts?

7 minutes ago, Mark Robertson said:

Estonia thoroughly deserved the draw tonight, I would say they deserved the win. They were technically much better than us all over the park. Where do we go from here? I would argue that was the best Scotland squad in 20 years but we weren't good enough. I see a team that is aging with very few good young players coming through to fill the void. There has to be something far wrong in the whole SFA system of bringing through young players. I know what it is, what are your thoughts?

Estonia? Pay much attention over the 90 minutes?

Apart from the fact we weren't playing Estonia I would agree. I am going to die without seeing a Scotland team that is technically gifted and comfortable in possession. We produce grindingly ordinary players and have done since the seventies, possibly eighties. Two good finishes doesn't distract from the fact that we haven't improved.

Sickener but taken in isolation not that bad a result. The damage was done early in the campaign.

Typically over cautious Strachan, we were incredibly lucky to get to the break one up, they made changes right away and we didn't. Should've done more to protect the lead.

Edited by Fankle

For the life of me I don't understand why he took martin off? As soon as he goes we are on the back foot as we give them too much time with the ball at the back. 1 goal was never going to be enough. Not martins biggest fan but he did alright yesterday. Given his comments about height it makes taking martin off stranger! Not seen anything from the last two games to suggest Phillips is the answer either!

2 hours ago, Bhamkillieken said:

For the life of me I don't understand why he took martin off? As soon as he goes we are on the back foot as we give them too much time with the ball at the back. 1 goal was never going to be enough. Not martins biggest fan but he did alright yesterday. Given his comments about height it makes taking martin off stranger! Not seen anything from the last two games to suggest Phillips is the answer either!

He was bringing on Anya to bolster the midfield and try to hold the lead. But they equalised as we were about to make the substitution. I don't know if it was too late to recall the decision but if possible he should've done.

Phillips seems to have assumed the Lee McCulloch role in the team, a physical presence in wide midfield, but we needed someone with more guile to break them down last night.

3 hours ago, Bhamkillieken said:

Martin + Anya = one full player in terms of minutes played for their club, both have probably played more minutes with Scotland than with Derby. Strachan keeps banging on about experience playing in the Champions League being great but doesn't play McGregor ? We have some decent players but no replacement for Griffiths and the central defence of Berra and Mulgrew aren't solid enough.

5 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

Martin + Anya = one full player in terms of minutes played for their club, both have probably played more minutes with Scotland than with Derby. Strachan keeps banging on about experience playing in the Champions League being great but doesn't play McGregor ? We have some decent players but no replacement for Griffiths and the central defence of Berra and Mulgrew aren't solid enough.

i agree, dont rate either Berra or Mulgrew but they are probably the best we have the moment? now is the time to pick some up and coming centre halfs and stick with them. havent seen enough of Mcgregor to comment on him.

whats happened with gauld? with hima burke at WBA we will have some outlets, but need a major rethink for the rest.