Neill Collins tells it like it is

skygod

s**t! It's is nice to know I'm not the only one that needs big time professional help. Sadly I have been living with this condition for at least 20 years longer than the author of the OP. I was never in the lucky position of being nearly good enough to be told I was not good enough. (You lucky bastard :D ).

So.... The big question... When will we get somone in a position to make a difference, who cares?

Well the not so good news is not at this time I fear. To those at the top it was, until MJs own personal tragedy, just an ego trip. Now it s  just an executive toy.

On a more +ve note there are those who simply will not let the club die while they still draw breath. The down side is none of them are employed by or play for the club. Still, with the passage of time that may change.

KTID. 

It's a real shame someone with his love for the club never got to play for us. 

I don't think anyone would ever have been able to question his commitment when he was on the park. 

Compare his attitude to some of the chancers who did pull on the blue and white stripes over the years  

I remember that East Stirling game vividly. Dave McCabe missed a penalty and we lost 2-1. Was certainly one of the low points. 

What a fantastic article by a great guy. I heard him on 5 Live recently when he talking about a video that went viral, a wee film of him playing football with his wee boy in the back garden. I can't find it but I found this vid of him being interviewed by his boy. 

I do remember when we lost out on him signing from Dumbarton. We couldnt/wouldn't stump up a pretty paltry fee. 

I see he does a blog. Wouldn't it be great if he could do an occasional blog on here? 

Skydog - your 'esteem' will sky rocket with this post. Neill should get some credit. Big up to a proper Killie man. Maybe if Stevie Clarke signs the turnaround in the club that we are all working for/hoping for and Neill's dad and many 1000s more will return to the ToP. 

Oh and bring back the grass. Legalise it!!!!

11 minutes ago, carpetfitter said:

Skydog - your 'esteem' will sky rocket with this post. Neill should get some credit.

Good point! So good I gave you a "Back of the Net"!

Happy to donate my points to a deserving cause. Or to invite folk to give this post a red card! :18:

Tremendous and passionate piece.

Until such time as the board and employees at the club become proactive rather than reactive in their approach to running this club then the malaise will continue. Many of us will read this and relate to it and make all the right noises about change being needed...MJ this...BB that...managers who have failed etc etc etc. Then I say to them 'Have you signed up for TiK yet?' ..'Nah', they say, 'don't believe in that / what difference will it make ? / the board should be left to get on with it....(enter your own reason)'. If we - the fans - cannot lead the way in being proactive then what chance do we have in changing the mindsets of the decision makers? By becoming a decision maker through the TiK initiative you can help get us to a point where Neil writes a Blog about Killie becoming a leading light in Scottish football again.

It's the old adage - when you ask - 'Who wants change?' everyone says  'Me !'

When you ask - 'Who wants to make that change happen?' -too many say  ' I'lI leave that to someone else'.  

Make it happen folks - you have the chance right here, right now. Join TiK 

13 hours ago, matthewn1986 said:

Troon.

Correct, he was in the year below me at Marr. IIRC he stayed down in the 'new' houses that they built across from 'The Field' next to Barassie train station, where we all played football. I think he was pals with Ross Mathie's son, Graeme who I think is now (or at least was) a scout at Celtic after failing to make the playing grade(a goalkeeper if memory serves), I think cos of injury. Both were decent lads then, and Neil's writing etc proves he is. 

Alan Hutton was in the year below them I think as was Tom Brighton. The guy before them that went pro from Marr was the guy Neil Murray? Chuck in Stevie Nicol going back to the 80s too. There mustve been more. Why mention it? Cos there's a common theme? Murray, Hutton, Brighton went to Rangers instead of us, Collins overlooked.... My memory's a bit rusty so some of the above might be inaccurate!

Maybe it wasn't Neil Murray...basically my whole post can just be deleted 

12 minutes ago, fmcc said:

Correct, he was in the year below me at Marr. IIRC he stayed down in the 'new' houses that they built across from 'The Field' next to Barassie train station, where we all played football. I think he was pals with Ross Mathie's son, Graeme who I think is now (or at least was) a scout at Celtic after failing to make the playing grade(a goalkeeper if memory serves), I think cos of injury. Both were decent lads then, and Neil's writing etc proves he is. 

Alan Hutton was in the year below them I think as was Tom Brighton. The guy before them that went pro from Marr was the guy Neil Murray? Chuck in Stevie Nicol going back to the 80s too. There mustve been more. Why mention it? Cos there's a common theme? Murray, Hutton, Brighton went to Rangers instead of us, Collins overlooked.... My memory's a bit rusty so some of the above might be inaccurate!

Decent list of players from Marr.

My school had Roy Aitken, Steve Clarke & Mark Reid (Ex Celtic, Charlton & St Mirren) so not too bad either!

5 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Decent list of players from Marr.

My school had Roy Aitken, Steve Clarke & Mark Reid (Ex Celtic, Charlton & St Mirren) so not too bad either!

There's probably some societal piece could be written on the demographics of where footballers came from, their parental backgrounds, their allegiances etc which would shed light on the roots of the game in the west of Scotland. And maybe shed some light too on why ( if the perception is true) that Scotland as a nation isn't producing quality footballers anymore. 

I contacted Neill a long time ago when I saw him first doing his blogs and asked him if we could share them on our social media (didn't want to put them on here and directly affect his 'hits'). He was delighted with that and he now contacts us to let us know that he has something new up for sharing. We're happy to keep it that way, then he can track his own viewing figures instead of them falling under ours.

9 minutes ago, baz said:

I contacted Neill a long time ago when I saw him first doing his blogs and asked him if we could share them on our social media (didn't want to put them on here and directly affect his 'hits'). He was delighted with that and he now contacts us to let us know that he has something new up for sharing. We're happy to keep it that way, then he can track his own viewing figures instead of them falling under ours.

With that in mind, I've deleted the content of the first post & put the link in instead, to send the traffic his way.

Sorry @skygod

10 hours ago, fmcc said:

I think Graeme Mathie is at Hibs. Last i heard he was there and he joined when Stubbs and Dempster came in. 

1 hour ago, Killie alan said:

.... wish we had signed him years ago.

It's clear that he bears no grudges and regards it as just business.

He has had a fabulous career - over 400 appearances with big clubs such as Sheffield United, Wolves and Sunderland.

Edited by skygod

4 minutes ago, skygod said:

It's clear that he bears no grudges and regards it as just business.

He has had a fabulous career - over 400 with appearances with big clubs such as Sheffield United, Wolves and Sunderland.

Exactly @skygod, who knows which path his career may have taken if he hadn't been released by Killie as a 14yr old youth......