Offensive Behaviour Football Act

Waverley

What is your feeling about the OBFA? I've got an ongoing disagreement with, presumably, a Celtic fan about this act. He describes it as the most hated act in Scotland and claims that we've had more than 20 fans charged under it. Now I know we can be offensive, but I've rarely heard anything sectarian from us. Have we had so many fans charged under this act. (more than Hibs allegedly)?

I'm against it personally. 

I believe it just demonises football supporters, especially when you look at the figures and fans effected by it.  

Also most of the cases get laughed out of court, total waste of time. 

Although I can see the logistics behind it, you can't eradicate sectarianism in 90 minutes - very naive. 

Just my opinion though, I know plenty will disagree. 

16 minutes ago, Waverley said:

What is your feeling about the OBFA? I've got an ongoing disagreement with, presumably, a Celtic fan about this act. He describes it as the most hated act in Scotland and claims that we've had more than 20 fans charged under it. Now I know we can be offensive, but I've rarely heard anything sectarian from us. Have we had so many fans charged under this act. (more than Hibs allegedly)?

It doesn't necessarily have to be sectarian to be charged under the act. Pretty much anything over and above the usual banter you'd expect at a fitba match can get you done.

While the act itself isn't perfect, my view is that if you can go to the football and not act like an absolute walloper then you've got nothing to worry about. The reason Celtic fans and in particular the green brigade lead the way in making such a fuss about the act is because they are unable to complete this not so difficult task.

Which moron in the Scottish Government thought we could have football fans that were not offensive?

Or is it only offense caused over particular issues the Government are offended at?

I think they are particularly excited about sexual orientation, ethnic origins or Christian denomination. 

Does that mean making offensive remarks about some players lack of hair, how overweight his wife is, their preference for bestiality etc., etc. is OK? 

What I am getting at is human beings are offensive, particularly when they get into large groups and have too much to drink. It doesn't make it right but you are not going to fix it by passing laws. 

13 hours ago, DrewWylie said:

Which he isn't ---- he's a killie fan and seen his team loads more than you lot of tossers ----- if you lot shouted your mouths at the games rather than on here things would be a lot better 

A -True he is a (moronic) Killie fan.

B. I doubt if he has seen the tenth of the Killie games I have.

C. I shout,I sing and chant, but not the garbage he shouts.

I reacted to a rant with a rant which was wrong. Mr. Sawyer needs to stay away from social media regarding Kilmarnock and seek advice from a family member or professional help.

Edited by Wrangodog
Additional remarks

1 hour ago, Waverley said:

http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2017/06/7620/4

Hope that helps. 

40 minutes ago, david mcbeth said:

We need to be careful about this.

If we are "resurgent" when we play the SevCo Zombies in televlsed game we had better be sure not to sing the "we are Killie, super Killie" song.

From what I understand Doncaster and Regan would like to make a real example of a (weak) club on this issue to take the heat off their two pets.

There is a real risk that we wlll get hammered if it is heard over the telly.

What influence do you think Regan and Doncaster have over the criminal justice system? The paranoia on here is getting out of hand. 

57 minutes ago, david mcbeth said:

We need to be careful about this.

If we are "resurgent" when we play the SevCo Zombies in televlsed game we had better be sure not to sing the "we are Killie, super Killie" song.

From what I understand Doncaster and Regan would like to make a real example of a (weak) club on this issue to take the heat off their two pets.

There is a real risk that we wlll get hammered if it is heard over the telly.

Was it your aunts cousins nephews dog that told you we need to be careful?

Celtic are desperate to get other teams support on this to ensure that it isn't only them being targeted.

At the same time, they are the main offenders when it comes to fan behaviour thus they are looking for as much assistance to fight this battle.

We should stay well out of it. If any killie fan is stupid enough to be boxing at the football or singing sectarian songs then it's their own fault.

7 hours ago, azertyuiop said:

Celtic are desperate to get other teams support on this to ensure that it isn't only them being targeted.

At the same time, they are the main offenders when it comes to fan behaviour thus they are looking for as much assistance to fight this battle.

We should stay well out of it. If any killie fan is stupid enough to be boxing at the football or singing sectarian songs then it's their own fault.

You don't need to be boxing or sing sectarian songs to be charged under the act.

That's why it's such a pile of s**te.

Vast majority of those charged under it get the cases thrown out in court. Not until those charged have been through court, had their work notified, had their names in the papers and spent a small fortune on legal fees.

I've voted SNP many times in the past but I disagree with them 100% on this.

Killie have 26 charges under it, Celtic 27 and Rangers 71.

Celtic are very vocal about it but if they were doing it thinking they solely were being victimised then they are doing a hell of a lot of work trying to get Rangers fans off with it as Rangers make up 25% of those charged in Scotland!

The act lets the Police have far too much discretion over what is offensive. Anyone who goes to football, particularly away games with know that's a bad combination when you see some of the policing/overreactions.

46 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Killie have 26 charges under it, Celtic 27 and Rangers 71.

Celtic are very vocal about it but if they were doing it thinking they solely were being victimised then they are doing a hell of a lot of work trying to get Rangers fans off with it as Rangers make up 25% of those charged in Scotland!

The act lets the Police have far too much discretion over what is offensive. Anyone who goes to football, particularly away games with know that's a bad combination when you see some of the policing/overreactions.

If I’m reading the figures I linked earlier correctly, Celtic had 27 charged in 2015/16, and we don’t show up on the Scottish government figures because we’ve had less than 5 charges per year. I can only think someone has added all our charges together. Celtic appear to have had 60 charged last year btw. 

On conviction rates; they’re higher than those for rape. I don’t think anyone would suggest scrapping rape laws due to the poor conviction rates. 

Edited by Zorro

3 minutes ago, Zorro said:

If I’m reading the figures I linked earlier correctly, Celtic had 27 charged in 2015/16, and we don’t show up on the Scottish government figures because we’ve had less than 5 charges per year. I can only think someone has added all our charges together. Celtic appear to have had 60 charged last year btw. 

In conviction rates; they’re higher than those for rape. I don’t think anyone would suggest scrapping rape laws due to the poor conviction rates. 

I don't think anyone would suggest comparing singing songs to rape convictions.

I'm only going on the table I saw, which going by our home crowd puts us above Celtic/Rangers per % of support.

It's a daft law that is a complete waste of resources IMO. Going by the law and it's guidelines, a Killie fan could get charged for singing our version of Hello, Hello.  

13 hours ago, DrewWylie said:

Which he isn't ---- he's a killie fan and seen his team loads more than you lot of tossers ----- if you lot shouted your mouths at the games rather than on here things would be a lot better 

BTW I take it you're just ignoring him singing simply the best and f**k the pope and IRA? If that was Chris Burke or cammy bell your heed would explode. It nearly explodes at the fact that they were once rangers players. 

Sawers was an ibrox season ticket holder btw. He's a Hun. 

Edited by Killieboykfc

1 hour ago, Zorro said:

Don’t sing Hello, Hello then. There is a significant section of our support who wanted it binned anyway. Iirc the thinking was it made us look like mini-huns. 

Time moves on, things change - anything that reduces sectarian behaviour at the game is fine by me. 

Nah, it's okay. I'll continue to sing it if that's okay. If annoys folk, especially other teams then all the better.