150th Anniversary Mega Thread

Lroy

9 minutes ago, Nigel4 said:

It has to be Eintracht. That was probably the best result in the club's history.

We have no ties with Man Utd other than it's the manager's pal's team. By all means get them up for a friendly, but they shouldn't be there for the 150th anniversary match because of that

We've played them for the centenary.

Like it or loath it, Frankfurt wouldn't pull a crowd. Man Utd certainly would.

Personally I'd prefer to play someone with some sort of history with the club whether it be Eintracht, Real Madrid, Leeds or even the South American mob that we played in New York tournament rather than Man Utd who I don't think we've ever played just to attract a big crowd (of mostly non killie fans) turning it into a glorified testimonial. 

38 minutes ago, Nigel4 said:

It has to be Eintracht. That was probably the best result in the club's history. 

We have no ties with Man Utd other than it's the manager's pal's team. By all means get them up for a friendly, but they shouldn't be there for the 150th anniversary match because of that. 

I've already had my say about not inviting Frankfurt but would add that, while it may be the most famous result in the club's history, celebrating it every 50 years looks a little small time to me. 

As for having no ties with Manchester United, the friendly match at RP in October 1953 to commemorate the club's new floodlights is widely acknowledged as being the birth of the Busby Babes so there is no lack of sentimental significance from their end. 

Edited by skygod

44 minutes ago, Ken T said:

Agreed but if Stevie's pal offers to bring Zlatan et al I wouldnae be turning them down! One of the first games I attended was Frank Beattie's testimonial. The Killie team was strengthened with guest stars (not that it helped the result thanks to Mr Dalglish). With Steve Clarke's connections maybe we could play fantasy football for one night and get some big names to wear the blue and white stripes?

Fergie brought a second-string Man Utd team up to Palmerston in aid of the Lockerbie Disaster and Dumfries was buzzing, Palmerston was packed!
Abiding memory is the late, great Ralph Milne's Man U fan club came up and sang their hearts out all night in the main stand.
Not a little irony and rose-tinted specs.
But think a glamour tie against a handpicked, star-studded select might capture the imagination more than it being against a particular team?

5 minutes ago, Gaz of the 20/20 said:

Personally I'd prefer to play someone with some sort of history with the club whether it be Eintracht, Real Madrid, Leeds or even the South American mob that we played in New York tournament rather than Man Utd who I don't think we've ever played just to attract a big crowd (of mostly non killie fans) turning it into a glorified testimonial. 

It was Bangu of Brazil and, shortly after we played them in New York, they came to RP for a friendly. 

Good suggestion! 

1 hour ago, red_dug said:

Was just about to suggest Leeds.

Not much glamourous about playing Leeds to be fair but probably most realistic in terms of being able to get themt o play. Cant' see many EPL sides falling over themselves to play, same with the foreign teams. It'll all come down to ££££ unless you can get a favour and that's why I mentioned Man Utd/Mouriniho.

2 minutes ago, CB said:

How did we end up with the, at the time, reigning epl champions, Blackburn Rovers? A connection, or did we pay them handsomely to open the 'new' Rugby Park?

Dalglish was DOF at the time, I don't know If he had a relationship with anyone at RP.

Totten maybe?

Bobby Fleeting probably just chanced it and phoned them!

What should happen is that it takes place on a Saturday in the summer and is a whole day event with lots of things going on in and around the stadium. Get buy-in from local pubs to have BBQs and events to boost their coffers with ex-players wandering around between them (or staggering). Make RP the hub. Have a build up to the main game by having something like a Kilmarnock Schools select versus the u-18/17 team then a legends game. I would certainly have Killie versus someone as the main game. An international select perhaps (if clubs would release players pre-season) but certainly a team which would whet the appetite. How about Iceland ? (sits back and awaits Farmfoods suggestion)

43 minutes ago, plunkit said:

What should happen is that it takes place on a Saturday in the summer and is a whole day event with lots of things going on in and around the stadium. Get buy-in from local pubs to have BBQs and events to boost their coffers with ex-players wandering around between them (or staggering). Make RP the hub. Have a build up to the main game by having something like a Kilmarnock Schools select versus the u-18/17 team then a legends game. I would certainly have Killie versus someone as the main game. An international select perhaps (if clubs would release players pre-season) but certainly a team which would whet the appetite. How about Iceland ? (sits back and awaits Farmfoods suggestion)

I was going to suggest any game should take place on the actual date. 05/01/2019

I see it's a Saturday too...

I think narrowing it down to one date, especially in freezing January, would severely restrict the options for opposition.

Much better to have it in the summer. The centenary match was held at the end of the season but I think pre-2019/20 season would be better.

Plenty of clubs looking to play pre-season friendlies although the biggest clubs seem to gravitate to the US or Far East for financial reasons these days.

9 minutes ago, skygod said:

I think narrowing it down to one date, especially in freezing January, would severely restrict the options for opposition.

Much better to have it in the summer. The centenary match was held at the end of the season but I think pre-2019/20 season would be better.

Plenty of clubs looking to play pre-season friendlies although the biggest clubs seem to gravitate to the US or Far East for financial reasons these days.

Aye. You're right enough. That date will probably be the final set of fixtures before the 'winter break' anyway

I was at the 1969 centenary game vs Eintracht Frankfurt. In sure it ended 1-1. I think John Gilmour scored.

I think you have to go with Kaiserslautern as father time will have caught up with most of the people with Eintracht Frankfurt connections.

I fear medical science may have to reach some dizzy heights if I am to live long enough to see the bi-centennial.

8 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

I was at the 1969 centenary game vs Eintracht Frankfurt. In sure it ended 1-1. I think John Gilmour scored.

I think you have to go with Kaiserslautern as father time will have caught up with most of the people with Eintracht Frankfurt connections.

I fear medical science may have to reach some dizzy heights if I am to live long enough to see the bi-centennial.

Gerry Queen scored in the 1-1 draw.