150th Anniversary Mega Thread

Lroy

4 hours ago, Ken T said:

Agreed but if Stevie's pal offers to bring Zlatan et al I wouldnae be turning them down! One of the first games I attended was Frank Beattie's testimonial. The Killie team was strengthened with guest stars (not that it helped the result thanks to Mr Dalglish). With Steve Clarke's connections maybe we could play fantasy football for one night and get some big names to wear the blue and white stripes?

Yes if we could get Man utd as well that would be brilliant as I don't think we've played them

Real would be another good club, along with Eintracht, as we have some history with them in the European cup and it would be good to see the brilliant Ronaldo if he was still playing for them

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

We've played them for the centenary.

Like it or loath it, Frankfurt wouldn't pull a crowd. Man Utd certainly would.

We got over 10,000 for the centenary game with no away fans there, and if we played them again I'm sure they would bring a decent support over nowadays

Man utd would certainly be a sell out crowd ,although it could be like a game against the old firm with more away fans than home, albeit  with a far better atmosphere

For me it's all about the history and with Eintracht already having played at a big part in a famous home victory and our centenary game, they are the ideal opponents to make it an historic treble.

30 minutes ago, azertyuiop said:

We should be aiming for a bigger club than some 2nd division (soon to be 3rd division the way they are going) German club surely?

Man Utd/ Man City/ Chelsea would bring the crowds in.

Aye, Kaiserlurtern would be decent for a jaunt away but for a home game I couldn't see anymore than say our normal home crowd turn up.

3 hours ago, Gaz of the 20/20 said:

Personally I'd prefer to play someone with some sort of history with the club whether it be Eintracht, Real Madrid, Leeds or even the South American mob that we played in New York tournament rather than Man Utd who I don't think we've ever played just to attract a big crowd (of mostly non killie fans) turning it into a glorified testimonial. 

Bangu Atletico club were a decent team in the sixties although they are way down the leagues now 

Leeds utd were a great team when we played them but I'm not sure our fans nowadays would be too happy about having ball bearings thrown at them, as I don't think their fans have improved much since then.

3 hours ago, skygod said:

I've already had my say about not inviting Frankfurt but would add that, while it may be the most famous result in the club's history, celebrating it every 50 years looks a little small time to me. 

As for having no ties with Manchester United, the friendly match at RP in October 1953 to commemorate the club's new floodlights is widely acknowledged as being the birth of the Busby Babes so there is no lack of sentimental significance from their end. 

Excellent thanks, my memory's not what it was,and I remember reading about that somewhere, was it "Go Fame"?

I'll have to beg to differ on the historical side of things.

If it was to be Man Utd or someone similar, there would have to be a clause that they bring a full strength squad. If it turned into Killie v Man Utd U21s there would be no point.

A game against a team of legends (Eremenko, Paul Wright, Billy Berntsson etc) is also a good idea, but the crowd would probably be very low.

2 hours ago, skygod said:

Iceland?!

Isn't there a rule against club sides playing international teams? There certainly used to be.

The SFA brought a rule in that Scotland couldn't play club sides after Belfast Celtic beat the national team in the USA about the 1950s

Don't know if there's a FIFA rule about it though.

to make it interesting and fill the stadium we've got to for a big team! Eintract and Kaiserslautern have sentimental value, but they were only a couple of games in 150 years. Do they matter that much? 

This is a game we need to bring the crowds in for and celebrate being the first pro club to mark this achievement. We've got to be approaching the likes of Man U, city, chelsea, liverpool, Madrid, Barca. If we don't ask we'll never get!

6 hours ago, Nigel4 said:

If it was to be Man Utd or someone similar, there would have to be a clause that they bring a full strength squad. If it turned into Killie v Man Utd U21s there would be no point.

A game against a team of legends (Eremenko, Paul Wright, Billy Berntsson etc) is also a good idea, but the crowd would probably be very low.

But boosted by paramedics!

Leeds are certainly a realistic proposition and they might bring a couple of thousand but their local appeal as part of a celebratory occasion would be very limited.

The board should be thinking about this now and using Clarke's contacts to open up enquiries, if need be. I know there are more important things on the go but it would be a pity if the milestone wasn't marked suitably.

The obvious options would be Real Madrid, Chelsea and Manchester United.

I went to Hearts v Barcelona at Murrayfield a few years ago. I’m sure it cost the promoters a pretty penny but maybe we could team up with an Edinburgh club and maybe Aberdeen to attract the likes of Real Madrid to Scotland for a low key pre-season (they’ll likely be off to China or somewhere for the money games as well). Needs the right kind of people to facilitate it though.

25 minutes ago, skygod said:

The obvious options would be Real Madrid, Chelsea and Manchester United.

Can't see any of them bringing their first team players north to play on our plastic pitch sadly. They probably wouldn't even if we had a grass pitch. Kaiserslautern, if pitched properly, could bring a shed load of fans over and you are guaranteed a friendly atmosphere.

13 hours ago, Nigel4 said:

It has to be Eintracht. That was probably the best result in the club's history.

We have no ties with Man Utd other than it's the manager's pal's team. By all means get them up for a friendly, but they shouldn't be there for the 150th anniversary match because of that

Manchester United opened our floodlights with a game. The game is also reckoned by many to have been the birth of the Busby Babes.

Just another thought here but why not have one at the start of the season against Englands oldest club Notts County to start the party and the glamour big team game at the end of the season to end the celebrations?

Edited by Asasaid
Killie since conceived in '66