150th Anniversary Mega Thread

Lroy

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:58 AM, CBFC said:

With the injury to Jeffries last night, can't see the glamour teams releasing million pound players to take their chance on our current pitch. Sorry to be negative as the idea from Plunkit is exceptional.

I have no idea what happened to Jeffries or whether it was pitch-related.

However, this would be the friendliest of friendlies; the superstars would be more at risk being mobbed for autographs and selfies than playing on the pitch.

Anyway, they play, or have played, Champions League and Europa League matches on artificial pitches. I'm sure I saw Gareth Bale play for Wales on a dodgy artificial pitch in Andorra.

Said superstars could stay indoors after half-time and the crowd would still go home happy.

Edited by skygod

5 hours ago, Lroy said:

BORING FACT ALERT:
They actually play in Dronfield in Derbyshire. Used to cycle past the ground all the time.

I was on holiday in Holmesfield just a mile up the road from Dronfield and saw Sheffield FC in a pre season friendly a couple of years ago. Not very good really but I crossed another ground off my list. 

• 2 months later...

I know this has probably be done to death but wondering what plans we know for the big birthday?

There is probably nothing much new to say in a history book however we could perhaps have a pictorial history book? I would like to think there will be many different events around matches and also in and around the town throughout the year.Hopefully there will be some fan input to such events.

There is also some chat around the strip we should wear and should the team go back to the original colours?

And last but not least I assume there will be a special edition 150th Anniversary "wee badge"?

Could we do things like charge 1869 prices. Not sure how that would go with today’s money and inflation etc. Best check that before we start asking for £20k a head for a game against Hamilton. 

Whether we play in it or not I’d love to see an anniversary kit. Traditional colours and badge even if it is a third kit. 

Maybe incorporate it with a display of the times by local historians. An educational event for people as well as a celebration.

What about a good birthday party for the kids pre match one weekend. 

Im presuming there will be a number of dances and civil occasions with the club and the town but those aren’t for everyone. 

2 minutes ago, piffer said:

Whether we play in it or not I’d love to see an anniversary kit. Traditional colours and badge even if it is a third kit. 

Agreed. 

Watching the Bournemouth game and the insides of the stands have images of different games and important moments, could we not do something like this? 

IMO the club should spend a bit of money on the celebrations, make a massive deal about it and get the football world involved. They could invite Four Four Two along, open the doors and see if they’ll do a feature on the 150th anniversary. Community events other than the normal annual Open Day, bringnin event organisers and go outside the box... 

4CD35E99-51A2-43AA-88A2-F3C9EC312507.jpeg

2 minutes ago, PrestersKtid said:

Not overly fussed about using the original strip colours unless it’s a third strip or something. Rather a title winning version. Original badge for a season could be good though. 

I suppose we could get caught up in the 1869 thing and not celebrate the whole 150years. Is it too late to have a vote on everyone’s favourite home and away kit and go with a version of those for next season?

11 minutes ago, garye said:

What season is it that counts as the anniversary anyway? Is it 2018-19 or 2019-20?

The centenary was celebrated in 1968-69 and the 125th in 1993-94, but the 50th anniversary was marked in 1917-18 (we were actually probably founded in 1868, but let's ignore that for now.) From what I've heard, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't do 2018/19 for the 150th.

Is the actual date of formation not January 1869?Meaning our 150th birthday would be January 2019. Of course the events could last for the year of 2019 and could actually cover two seaasons over the one calendar year?

Worth looking at what other clubs have done for importand celebrations and taking the best from such events. Really important IMO to engage fans prior to the events to help decide what should go on.