Owen Coyle or Steve Clarke

kfc_superteam

2 high profile managers appointed - who is the better choice  

340 members have voted

1. 1. 2 high profile managers appointed - who is the better choice

• Owen Coyle
    • Steve Clarke

We can't obviously see into the future but in terms of CV I'd say you have to put Clarke ahead of Coyle even thought he has been a number 1 for less time. The calibre of clubs he has been at is just of a higher level.

Edited by Fletch

Someone voting in the poll thinks Coyle is better than Clarke thou.....

Agree with @Fletch, the standard of club Coyle's been at are lower than Clarke's with his last 3 spells at Wigan, Houston & Blackburn being a disaster. I'd say in terms of reputation down South, Coyle's probably blown his chance of getting another decent gig down there even if he is successful at Ross Co, whereas SC, imo, will get another chance.

Edited by C4mmy31

15 minutes ago, Killie lad said:

Marks and Spencers luxury roast ham cooked by Gordon Ramsay or eating asdas own brand of chicken nuggets out of a dumpster which have been thrown away because they had fur growing on them? 

Those chickens that had the dates changed on them went to Aldi,Lidl, and Marks and Spencers.:o

Doesn't matter a damn which is perceived to be the better just now, it's what they do that counts.

Edited by Wrangodog

4 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Someone voting in the poll thinks Coyle is better than Clarke thou.....

Agree with @Fletch, the standard of club Coyle's been at are lower than Clarke's with his last 3 spells at Wigan, Houston & Blackburn being a disaster. I'd say in terms of reputation down South, Coyle's probably blown his chance of getting another decent gig down there even if he is successful at Ross Co, whereas SC, imo, will get another chance.

Wigan, Houston & Blackburn

WTF

35 minutes ago, Killie Conman said:

Wigan, Houston & Blackburn

WTF

Dec 2014 - May 2016 he was Head Coach of Houston Dynamo in the MLS with a 30.3% win record. To put it into prespective, exactly the same win % as Alan Johnston with Killie.....

Edited by C4mmy31
Spelling

Clarke hasn't exactly been an overwhelming success as a manager in his own right. Unlike Coyle, he has also never managed a club at our level.

I'd rather have Clarke than Coyle, and I think that he is potentially a terrific appointment. At the very least, he'll have the contacts to bring in some decent loan signings in January. This should be enough to keep us in the SPL. 

The heightened expectations of a top six finish, either this or next season are a bit premature though. 

We are remarkably only 7 points off top six, none of the teams we have played this season (outwith Celtic) have been particularly impressive. At this early stage in the season, if we go a good run there is no reason at all we couldn't compete for top six, never mind next season when the deadwood will be gone and I'd imagine we have a better quality squad than now. 

How you can predict that we can't make top 6 next season with so many unknowns is fairly baffling.

37 minutes ago, Gaz of the 20/20 said:

We are remarkably only 7 points off top six, none of the teams we have played this season (outwith Celtic) have been particularly impressive. At this early stage in the season, if we go a good run there is no reason at all we couldn't compete for top six, never mind next season when the deadwood will be gone and I'd imagine we have a better quality squad than now. 

How you can predict that we can't make top 6 next season with so many unknowns is fairly baffling.

We need perspective. 

We have an extremely difficult run of fixtures coming up and a limited squad at best.

Comfortable survival this season followed by a top 6 push next year should be the target.

The question is "Who is the better choice?", not "Who has the better credentials?"

I think Clarke clearly has the better CV but, for reasons such as having managed in Scotland before and lower expectations, Coyle may be a better choice for County. 

I've been over the course often enough to be wary of things going horribly wrong. 

The wild optimism of some, even most, supporters is understandable. 

However, the club inviting us to "witness a piece of Killie history - Steve Clarke's debut as Killie manager" makes me fearful of pride coming before a fall. 

So I'll be quietly confident and reserve judgement until I see how things work out. 

1 hour ago, skygod said:

However, the club inviting us to "witness a piece of Killie history - Steve Clarke's debut as Killie manager" makes me fearful of pride coming before a fall. 

I actually thought that was a refreshing change from the club. They actually took a positive and used it as something to sell tickets rather than the usual "Kilmarnock v Rangers: Tickets available now." post.

We were bottom of the league in November under Mixu and finished fifth, and as I recall we were gash after the split, so it doesn't take much to move up this league. 

If you see the difference Rodgers has made at Celtic then it's only natural to think that a coach of Clarke's calibre could do something similar, especially given the stuff served up in the last few years. 

1 hour ago, skygod said:

The question is "Who is the better choice?", not "Who has the better credentials?"

I think Clarke clearly has the better CV but, for reasons such as having managed in Scotland before and lower expectations, Coyle may be a better choice for County. 

I've been over the course often enough to be wary of things going horribly wrong. 

So I'll be quietly confident and reserve judgement until I see how things work out. 

Fair assessment...as has been said before...it's the hope that kills us...but no harm in having high expectations or dreams...at last there appears to be a great deal of positivity and some real honesty from the new manager...so as ever...we live in hope (in football terms)

3 hours ago, skygod said:

So would you rather have the club make comments along the lines of LM's comments prior to the league cup game at Parkhead? Basically, defeated before we set foot on the pitch.

6 hours ago, Gaz of the 20/20 said:

Did I say that we couldn't make top six next season? 

I think its good for the league that both have joined. Living down south I find it increasingly difficult to keep in touch and/or interested as the standard has been slipping so much over the past few years. If guys like them (and Rogers at Celtic) can get Scottish teams playing better and attracting and/or keeping better players then its got to be good for us all.

On the question of who's the better appointment for us... I'm sure we'd have been happy with either but Clarke's family connections to the team and the area make him pretty uniquely placed to potentially make a major long term difference.