Target

skygod

Clarke said in a recent interview that he had a short-term target - he knew were he wants to be by Christmas, but wasn't letting on.

What do you think it is? Top Six? Mid-table? Not to be "cut adrift" (whatever happened to that fear?!)?

I think he will have looked at the squad available and thought that if he could get to the winter break without being left behind he might have Dicker, Wilson and Kiltie back and can dabble in the transfer market to push on in February.   

He must be pleasantly surprised by the reaction from the players so far but wary that the squad is thin and momentum needs to be maintained.

Edited by skygod

I expect it was that we'd pick up enough results to keep with the pack and get to January when he could address the problems.

But he's getting what I'd think to be the most out of our guys, so perhaps he's feeling more confident.  I liked Ranieri at Leicester - he refused to talk about the title or Europe until he had 40 points. So I hope Clarke doesn't talk about top half or behind unless we get to the point we can't get dragged back into it.

He's already picked up two more points than I expected and to be honest from the two games he had and two coming up, 2 points was all I realistically expected... Now I'm thinking 8 is achievable!

I think his goals must be top six. Rangers, Aberdeen, Celtic, Hibs are all guaranteed to be there. Hearts are wobbling. Super J's are oddly poor and Motherwell are playing well but it remains to be seen if they can maintain it.

If he got top six for us this season I'm convinced he would win the writers Manager of the Year award with ease.

5 hours ago, Bullitt said:

If he got top six for us this season I'm convinced he would win the writers Manager of the Year award with ease.

He might deserve it if he manages that feat, but Brendan Rogers will get it.
Frank Beattie should have been player of the year when we won the league, but Billy McNeil got it cos Celtic won the cup

I reckon looking to be around 7/8th come Christmas is realistic and hopefully within touching distance of the top 6. Then Clarke will have the January window to add to the squad where he sees fit and if we have Killie and Dicker back fully fit as well then it could be a fun 2nd half of the season 

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. We have won once in eleven games. 5 points from the last three games is very impressive but it doesn't change the fact that we still have two tough games coming up and risk being cut adrift if we don't find three points from them. This squad are where they are in the league for a reason and we need to give Clarke time and patience to turn things around. There will be bumps on the road and top six is silly talk as it stands.

Tuesday night is a big, big test. We have won once in our last 14 home league games...and that was against a team that have since been relegated. We have the right man at the helm but I doubt there's an easy fix on the horizon.  

1 minute ago, livvy said:

Tuesday night is a big, big test. We have won once in our last 14 home league games...and that was against a team that have since been relegated. We have the right man at the helm but I doubt there's an easy fix on the horizon.  

I don’t know if I’ve mentioned it before, but getting rid of the plastic pitch would go a long way towards improving our home form. 

23 hours ago, diamond_geezer said:

The run of fixtures he inherited is incredible- away to the ugly sisters and the jambos and at home to a resurgent Hibees . Baptism of fire but I think it will give the squad self belief and enthusiasm. I know Sandman ain’t moist yet but I’m getting there . 

If nothing else I must be up for a nomination for Most Quoted Quote of the Year! :2:

23 hours ago, Bullitt said:

He's already picked up two more points than I expected and to be honest from the two games he had and two coming up, 2 points was all I realistically expected... Now I'm thinking 8 is achievable!

I think his goals must be top six. Rangers, Aberdeen, Celtic, Hibs are all guaranteed to be there. Hearts are wobbling. Super J's are oddly poor and Motherwell are playing well but it remains to be seen if they can maintain it.

17 hours ago, RayD said:

He might deserve it if he manages that feat, but Brendan Rogers will get it.
Frank Beattie should have been player of the year when we won the league, but Billy McNeil got it cos Celtic won the cup

If we beat Hibs tomorrow than he should get the manager of the month award for October.

Eremenko should also have won the player of the year award but they gave it to Ezuiqurre (or however you spell it) because he put a couple of decent crosses in. Was an absolute travesty, he wasn't fit to lace the great one's boots.

17 hours ago, Zorro said:

I don’t know if I’ve mentioned it before, but getting rid of the plastic pitch would go a long way towards improving our home form. 

Eight teams out of the twelve in the league have a better away record than home record.
Perhaps there are factors other than the playing surface to be considered.

As a killie fan i never ever go into a game expecting a result. It's just a happy bonus when it happens.

However the team have shown that we can get a result against the best teams in the league in past month or so. At least we should go into these fixtures with no fear. 

The fixtures between now and Xmas:

Hibs home

HEarts away

Dundee away

Aberdeen Home

St johnstone Away

Partick home

County away

Motherwell home

Rangers home

Guy who sits next to me at work is a season ticket holder at Parkhead and said our performance on Saturday was as good as any away side has been there for a long while (apart from the 2-2 Hibs game a month ago). He seems to think we'll easily be in the top 6.

I think top 6 might be beyond us, but I'm hoping for a comfortable 7th or 8th place finish. Tomorrow night will be a real test about how far we've come in the past couple of weeks

2 hours ago, Zorro said:

Without even looking at our fixture list, I confidently predict we’ll take more points from our next four away games than we’ll take from the next four home games. 

The relevance of this to the statement 'Eight teams out of the twelve in the league have a better away record than home record' is what exactly?

3 hours ago, historyman said:

If we beat Hibs tomorrow than he should get the manager of the month award for October.

Eremenko should also have won the player of the year award but they gave it to Ezuiqurre (or however you spell it) because he put a couple of decent crosses in. Was an absolute travesty, he wasn't fit to lace the great one's boots.

Agreed mate. However that season Mixu won manager of the Year for a fifth place finish. 

I agree that eremenko not winning POY that year was a disgrace. 

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:37 PM, livvy said:

We have won once in eleven games. 

I'm sure Clarke's very first target is to make very sure it's nowhere near another 11 games before we clock up another win. And his firtst chance to achieve that will be tomorrow night. Hibs looked like a handful against 'Well at Fir Park so he will have his work cut out for him but he seems like a guy who knows what he is doing.