Lee Erwin/4-4-2

Ken T

This boy has talent, we saw that when he scored against us in 2 separate games a couple of seasons ago and there are some stompers for Oldham on YouTube. But other than a tidy finish v Hamilton we've seen next to nothing. Anyone know what's going on there? At Well he had an experienced striker beside him and if Steve Clarke is going 4-4-2 surely that would work for Erwin - was noticeable how close Jones was to Boyd partic. 1st half on Tuesday and that must be a factor in all those chances we created. Or am I being too old school and 4-4-2 is dead in the water?!

Games where two teams match up with 4 4 2 are always better to watch, more space in midfield and obvs an extra body up top. 

The modern way of playing 1 up front is rotten to watch but if a side plays that way and you don't match the 5 in the middle then you struggle to get into the match.

Europes big clubs have a lot to answer for. 

Edited by red_dug

Been a bit disappointed with Erwin. As Ken says he obviously has ability but he's been very laboured so far. Early days though as Power and O'Donnell have shown. 

As for 4-4-2 is it worth having a look at Brophy and Erwin together up front? Can't say I've seen much of Brophy but at least a different type of striker to Boyd and Erwin, who are quite similar in style. 

We could play 4-4-2 with Erwin assuming we aren't playing a true 4-4-2 and we're playing Jones or someone like Thomas/Kiltie in the role Jones is currently playing free between the striker and the midfield. We would probably struggle with Boyd/Erwin because neither get involved enough with the ball to fit the type of game we played v Hibs.

27 minutes ago, MJout said:

Look a very lazy player to me. A signing I had high hopes for.

I agree. I was probably more pleased about him signing in the summer than any of the others but he has been a big disappointment. The fact that he can't displace Boyd in the team given the style of game we are now playing says a lot about him. Even on Tuesday when he came on with fresh legs he looked slow in his movement and didn't show much desire to close men down. And from an attacking point of view Broadfoot played a super wee reverse ball to him and he was caught dreaming, not showing a striker's instinct at all. There always seemed to be a few questions about his attitude so hopefully Clarke can get the best out of him as he certainly has talent and has shown he can score.

3 hours ago, red_dug said:

Games where two teams match up with 4 4 2 are always better to watch, more space in midfield and obvs an extra body up top. 

The modern way of playing 1 up front is rotten to watch but if a side plays that way and you don't match the 5 in the middle then you struggle to get into the match.

Europes big clubs have a lot to answer for. 

Not necessarilly. If you use a one up top formation and have players with good ability that are willing to work together behind the striker then it can be great formation. Its particularly good for passing football as the shape of the formation allows for wee triangles to be made between players where they can pass it an then move. Easier said than done, obviously but it's definitely not a rotten formation to use if its done right.

2 hours ago, MJout said:

Look a very lazy player to me. A signing I had high hopes for.

George McLusky looked like a lazy buggar up front but he had a predatory sharpness when an opportunity appeared.

Erwin looks lazy with no interest even when  chance present itself.

disappointment so fat although I'm willing to accept we may be using him the wrong way.

has been little evidence so far of any partnership between our forward players to make us change system to a front 2 permanently-----and in doing so would possibly lead to a more direct way of playing and leave us short in midfield ..and just as Jones is coming into some top form in this "free role" he has been given it would be questionable to move him back out wide only 

as for Erwin and to a lesser extent Brophy -- both need to improve quality as and when given a chance by Clarke has they have shown little form as yet 

7 minutes ago, Souleycouley93 said:

Bad attitude him and Thomas both the same. Will see how long they last . Brophy again not good enough for Hamilton . No good enough for us . Samizadeh non starter . Clarke will bring in 2 strikers probably in January on loan 

If Erwin and Thomas show bad attitudes when working under arguably the best coach they will ever play under, they won't last long in the game

10 minutes ago, Souleycouley93 said:

Bad attitude him and Thomas both the same. Will see how long they last . Brophy again not good enough for Hamilton . No good enough for us . Samizadeh non starter . Clarke will bring in 2 strikers probably in January on loan 

who its player? Chelsea or Arsenal or Man City or Man Utd or Liverpool younger striker player?