Lee McCulloch thought the team were playing well?

killieblues

I'm surprised anyone is surprised at this. The guy basically has to blame other factors. If he holds his hands up and says he was just rubbish at his job, he will never work again. 

I think there's an element of truth to what he's saying - Steve Clarke has undoubtedly improved us, but I also think he's come in at just the right time, in terms of fitness of the many players Lee brought in who hadn't played much. Given time, I think these players would have been fitter and played better under Lee, but nothing like what the have done these last few weeks. 

As I said at the time, I wish Lee well, as he was a very nice guy in my dealings with him. Which is a surprise, as I fecking hated him when he played for the scum. Just glad we have a far better manager in now. 

17 minutes ago, Bullitt said:

I hope he gets another job and builds his reputation and he's a smashing fella. It was too big a job for him too early. 

His comments I don't agree with however as mentioned he has to say this if he wants to work in management again. 

Aye, I don't agree with that article at all and failed to see any signs of improvement (the opposite actually) but he was a good guy. Too big a job, too soon.

The Evening Times article online says he's looking to get back in a job, but maybe as a coach or assistant at this point. Probably fits in with the theory that a manager's position was too much for him at this stage and that he walked. All the best to him anyway - seemed a decent enough guy, but over-promoted too soon, as others have said.

Edited by Trumpetree

The difference between Ross County and Partick was like night and day. Standing off opponents when they had possession vs mobbing the opponent in possession with three guys on him at any one time. Shrugging your shoulders when the ball was hoofed into space vs haring off after it as though you life depended on it.

I don't know what changed as Steve Clarke had not even got the job at that point. The only difference was Lee was not in the dugout.

I don’t think he has the tactical ability to be a manager . He has basically said he couldn’t take a team any further after 8 games into the season . He will struggle to get a top job for a while after that statement . He had no enthusiasm or spark about him he may be pals with you in dressing room and stuff but players respect authority. Clarke won’t have any pals in the changing room he will be setting the standard and making it clear if your not trying you will be replaced . We have been given some professionalism . After a while we now look like we are willing to take a booking and take knocks and go down , these small things influence the game . Delighted we are starting to be more streetwise and getting in peoples faces . 

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

I find it unfair the criticism of LM. Everyone to a man wanted him last year. He refused initially but the fans basically persuaded him. He walked by his own admission wasn't getting results. The player's or Power, Burke, Broad foot , Boyd should hang their heads. Only turn it on now as they have realised they are or would be done. IMO Lee was a good guy who had the conviction to leave. FFS give him a break. He supported youth also. Short memories some of you.

Pretty much what everyone has been saying.

good guy, nice guy but not up to the job. that is the only way criticism has been levelled at him.

criticism of results is hardly unfair.

4 hours ago, Dillinger said:

I'm surprised anyone is surprised at this. The guy basically has to blame other factors. If he holds his hands up and says he was just rubbish at his job, he will never work again. 

I think there's an element of truth to what he's saying - Steve Clarke has undoubtedly improved us, but I also think he's come in at just the right time, in terms of fitness of the many players Lee brought in who hadn't played much. Given time, I think these players would have been fitter and played better under Lee, but nothing like what the have done these last few weeks. 

As I said at the time, I wish Lee well, as he was a very nice guy in my dealings with him. Which is a surprise, as I fecking hated him when he played for the scum. Just glad we have a far better manager in now. 

I don't think there is an element of truth in this at all. Players don't go from unfit to fit in the gap between the Ross County game and the Partick game.
In any case, if they are not as fit as other teams in October after a full pre-season then there is something wrong.
Fitness is not the difference, the difference is that Clarke is an extremely experienced, knowledgeable coach and McCulloch wasn't - irrespective of whether he was a nice guy or not.
I do not agree at all with this revisionist view of McCulloch's reign - there were no indications whatsoever that these players 'would have been fitter and played better', on the contrary the general view is that there were no signs improvement and thankfully the board and McCulloch himself also came to this conclusion.

Edited by historyman

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

I find it unfair the criticism of LM. Everyone to a man wanted him last year. He refused initially but the fans basically persuaded him. He walked by his own admission wasn't getting results. The player's or Power, Burke, Broad foot , Boyd should hang their heads. Only turn it on now as they have realised they are or would be done. IMO Lee was a good guy who had the conviction to leave. FFS give him a break. He supported youth also. Short memories some of you.

Wow, I think most posts have been sympathetic towards him?

For whatever reason, the players didn't play for him. Sadly, as a manager that's a big issue.

Lee is a great big guy, most folk are in agreement on that. But to say we were anything other than rank rotten this season before his departure would be a lie.  

Sorry Joe, but that is bollocks. Regarding his appointment, if you care to check these boards you'll find plenty dissenting voices, myself included.

From what I can see, nobody is slating the guy. He walked once he realised what a fair number of us suspected...he wasn't ready!

Edited by Mister Y