What was your first game?

Waverley

20/12/1998 at home to Dundee United. Sunday night game. I seem to remember we won 2-0, which Wikipedia backs up, although the official SPFL website suggests it was only 1-0. Any of the older members on here able to confirm what the score actually was?

Went to another game later on that season before starting to go every week in 99/00.

4 minutes ago, robkil said:

20/12/1998 at home to Dundee United. Sunday night game. I seem to remember we won 2-0, which Wikipedia backs up, although the official SPFL website suggests it was only 1-0. Any of the older members on here able to confirm what the score actually was?

Went to another game later on that season before starting to go every week in 99/00.

2-0.

Huge crowd. Was baltic!!!

43 minutes ago, CB said:

alan mcculloch? Northern Ireland league select wasn't it? Celebrating 100 years of their league or something.

It was against an Irish League XI for the Wilkinson Sword Trophy to celebrate their centenary.

I wasn't there but I believe he left the pitch at half time, was substituted and that was that.

McCulloch was always part-time so he had his day job but I think he did train to be a referee in the Northern League, as it was then, having relocated to Whitley Bay, I think.

Edited by skygod

49 minutes ago, Killiesince69 said:

4-1 win at RP against Ayr. September 69. Previous week Ayr had beaten Rangers 2-1 in front of 22000 at scumerset. Dont remember scorers but 2nd game was cup tie v Hearts same season, Cook and Mathie scored in 2-0 win. 

Jimmy Cook with his special free kick goal. Eddie Morrison stood in front of the wall, Jimmy ran over the ball, Tommy McLean rolled the ball to Eddie who flicked it to the side for Cook who smashed it into the net. They scored against Thistle with the same move in the previous round and almost scored against in the Semi against Aberdeen. We never got a free kick against Motherwell in the QF.

39 minutes ago, Asasaid said:

First ever game was the Scottish cup game on March 6 1978 v Celtic winning 1-0 thanks to Derrick McDicken (forever a Killie hero and legend) when his shot went in off a post in 83 minutes although Celtic rallied and it was McDicken who saved Killie in the final minute when he blocked Edvaldsson's goal bound shot on the line. 99% sure SC big brother Paul partnered him in central defence. Was taken to the game by my eldest brother who was a Celtic fan (my other older brother was a Rangers fan back then - used to be mental on a Saturday night in my house growing up) who took me in to the Celtic end with him, we won resulting in me attending every other Killie home game that season and I've have only missed a handful since. KTID

Teams
Kilmarnock 
Stewart, McLean, Robertson, Jardine, Clarke, McDicken, Provan, McDowell (Doherty), Stein, Maxwell, McCulloch. Sub: Murdoch
Goal: McDicken (83)

Celtic:
Latchford, Sneddon, Dowie, Filippi, MacDonald, Aitken, Edvaldsson, McAdam, G McCluskey, Burns, Wilson.Subs: Craig Casey

Referee: A McGunnigle (Glasgow)
Attendance: 14,100

SCup.jpg.89c09907dfc7200d0e87923b0c25146a.jpg

Played them off the park at Celtic Park in the first game; our midget front 3 of Hughes? McDowell and Doherty ran them ragged. A late George McCluskie equaliser stopped Donny McDowall's goal giving us an historic victory.

I was in their main stand and their fans were fighting among themselves at half-time.

17 minutes ago, skygod said:

It was against an Irish League XI for the Wilkinson Sword Trophy to celebrate their centenary.

I wasn't there but I believe he left the pitch at half time, was substituted and that was that.

McCulloch was always part-time so he had his day job but I think did train to be a referee in the Northern League, as it was then, having relocated to the north of England.

I think he (or at least someone with his name) 4th officialed a north east derby match.

Remember being on a bus after an away game and over the radio 'blah di blah...yak yak...4th official Alan McCulloch...' wait...what? Who?

8 minutes ago, CB said:

I think he (or at least someone with his name) 4th officialed a north east derby match.

Remember being on a bus after an away game and over the radio 'blah di blah...yak yak...4th official Alan McCulloch...' wait...what? Who?

I think he would have started much too late in years to have made it to Grade 1.

Looking on the web, I can only find him reffing boys' club matches.

21st September 1991 against Dundee away.

Met Bobby Fleeting on train from Glasgow and he later starred getting fans out of open end under the stand during a monsoon!

We scored early through Williamson and then gave away a stupid penalty and a late second to lose despite Tommy Burns running the game.

Still one of best performances I've seen; strange that we didn't win any of the best four I think I've seen ......... maybe my next match?

First game 24/11/79 league cup quarterfinals against Morton. Won 3-2 to make it 5 each on aggregate. Under the Johnny Walker roof.

Lost on penalty kicks, either Bobby Street or John Bourke skying it over the bar.

Next one should have been 8 -1 drubbing from the huns but never made it as faither and pals went to pub and left me in the car. They got steaming and I missed it. Small mercies etc. 

He felt guilty and took me to next home game St Mirren 6 -1 defeat and the rest is history or so they say.

13 minutes ago, skygod said:

I think he would have started much too late in years to have made it to Grade 1.

Looking on the web, I can only find him reffing boys' club matches.

Wouldn't have needed to be grade 1 to be a 4th surely. Linos take over from injured refs. And the 4th runs the line.

Fair enough. If that's what your research came up with.

25 minutes ago, Harrogate Peter said:

21st September 1991 against Dundee away.

Met Bobby Fleeting on train from Glasgow and he later starred getting fans out of open end under the stand during a monsoon!

We scored early through Williamson and then gave away a stupid penalty and a late second to lose despite Tommy Burns running the game.

Still one of best performances I've seen; strange that we didn't win any of the best four I think I've seen ......... maybe my next match?

Took my son to that game. He was in tears because of the floods!

We got the bus back to the station before half time, then an early train back to Glasgow. Drowned rats.

Dragged him round every ground in Scotland  .... he hasn't been to a game in ages ????

I canny remember my first game but somewhere about there we were getting gubbed 4 - scud of Falkirk at half time. we scored 4 in the 2nd half to get a point. 

Must have been about 1965 if anybody can remember. That was the time when nobody came to RP expecting to leave with anything, even the twisted sisters had to battle to get anything. Changed days. Maybe S.C. can bring back the 1960s feel of going to RP. When you went there s a wean you were going to watch Killie win.

7 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

I canny remember my first game but somewhere about there we were getting gubbed 4 - scud of Falkirk at half time. we scored 4 in the 2nd half to get a point. 

Must have been about 1965 if anybody can remember. That was the time when nobody came to RP expecting to leave with anything, even the twisted sisters had to battle to get anything. Changed days. Maybe S.C. can bring back the 1960s feel of going to RP. When you went there s a wean you were going to watch Killie win.

Raith Rovers, 1969, losing 4 nil at half-time. Frank Beattie came on as sub and we drew 4-4?

7 hours ago, kevin1869 said:

We beat Clydebank by 2 or 3 in early 1991. That was my first Killie match at RP. My first visit to RP had been the previous year for the junior cup final (Hill O Beath? I think). No idea why I was at that game, but I can recall coming up the Rugby Road steps and seeing the pitch for the first time very clearly. I remember nagging pretty hard to get back, and was a pretty consistent attendee till just after 2001-ish when work and life in general pulled me away from regular attendance.

spending 15 minutes standing at the bar in the Killie Club chatting to the late, great Jim Baxter, whisky in hand,is a special memory I'll savour forever.

He never forgot his roots.

1 hour ago, skygod said:

I'm pretty sure Colin Stein played.

I've just checked 'Evergame', Stein didn't play; neither did Jim Hughes. It was our other Mighty Midget, Davy Provan who along with Doherty and McDowall ran Celtic ragged. We played them off the park but couldn't get the other goal needed.

I went to the replay, again with my teammates from my amateur team and loved big D's winner.

8 minutes ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

Rovers goalie scored that day. McAlpine I think, who went on to Dundee Utd.

Different game - much later, in 1987. Rather than on his way up, McAlpine was on his way down post- Dundee Utd.

The 4-4 game, it was Gordon Wallace, who was that season's Player of the Year, and George Falconer who ripped us apart in the first half.