Europe, we should tell them just to GTF

Gallus

If it was that straightforward and there was no cost to us in the UK, as an intelligent person you have to ask yourself, why isn't that exactly what Theresa is doing right now? Why is she toying with giving the people across the channel any money at all.

I suspect the answer is, she knows if she did that she, and the country, would be f**ked from here to Kartum. 

WTO trading with everyone is where we would be, not the rest of the EU. The political situation in Ireland could start heading south too. 

The problem is Theresa can't offer the EU what they want because the Brexiteers in her own party would freak and she is hoping that realising that the EU will moderate their demands. That aint gonna happen. If it crashes the UK government, well it was their idea to leave the EU in the first place.

Any way you look at it we are f**ked until the government collapses and the electorate sobers up from their dreams of empire delusion and realises we are a very small irrelevant country right on the edge of Europe who once had an empire.  

21 hours ago, gdevoy said:

If it was that straightforward and there was no cost to us in the UK, as an intelligent person you have to ask yourself, why isn't that exactly what Theresa is doing right now? Why is she toying with giving the people across the channel any money at all.

I suspect the answer is, she knows if she did that she, and the country, would be f**ked from here to Kartum. 

WTO trading with everyone is where we would be, not the rest of the EU. The political situation in Ireland could start heading south too. 

The problem is Theresa can't offer the EU what they want because the Brexiteers in her own party would freak and she is hoping that realising that the EU will moderate their demands. That aint gonna happen. If it crashes the UK government, well it was their idea to leave the EU in the first place.

Any way you look at it we are f**ked until the government collapses and the electorate sobers up from their dreams of empire delusion and realises we are a very small irrelevant country right on the edge of Europe who once had an empire.  

I always thought you were one of the more decent posters. Post reported.

23 hours ago, Mister Y said:

Seems to me the opinions expressed are very similar to what pish propaganda people happen to be following.

Only the inner circle really knows what's going on...do you really think they want us to know at this point?

To me it's been fairly clear the EU will side with the Irish position on the land border with UK - it's the EU's border too after all.  History of the UK says we won't give two hoots about this and "Hard Brexit" will really begin to unravel from there, probably why negotiations aren't going anywhere at present.

The whole Hard Brexit, no deal thing makes absolutely no sense if you consider the UK beyond Britain itself.  I think a lot of the no deal, get the EU stuffed folk, forget Northern Ireland's part of the UK and has an actual land border with the EU itself.

Would be hugely ironic if the Brexit vote and the UK regaining it's sovereignty, leads to Dublin having us by the balls!  That would be embarrassing. but I daresay its where we're headed!

On 17/11/2017 at 9:14 PM, Gallus said:

Seems to me that Juncker has us by the balls, unless we are willing to walk he will squeeze those balls even more, it would hurt Europe and us but it will give us a better negotiating position, imo.

Sounds like you'd cut your own balls off with a rusty blade just to spite them... :D

The EU don't need to negotiate anything or make it easy, it was 'our' decision to walk so we'll have to pay the price.

2 hours ago, Scooter said:

The EU don't need to negotiate anything or make it easy, it was 'our' decision to walk so we'll have to pay the price.

This sums it up. You have to laugh at Davis and May greeting that the EU are being awkward about implementing a decision made by the UK for the perceived benefit of the UK. What possible reason can anybody give for the EU to have any interest in helping out?

If walking away was a reasonable option we would have don't it already. If some folks try to railroad walking away through I think there will be a major terminal split in the Tory party. All that is keeping the Tories together at the moment is the prospect of a post Brexit deal.

The idea of a 'no deal' Brexit is just nonsense and borne out of ignorance.

Trade is governed by a whole load of complicated rules and standards that products have to satisfy. If there's no agreements then how are these rules and standards governed?

We will probably get a deal, not as good as EU membership, maybe close to a Norway model, but one thing is certain, it will cost all of us!

Get that blade ready gallas Grey Worm...

Gelding-knife.jpg

20 hours ago, Scooter said:

The idea of a 'no deal' Brexit is just nonsense and borne out of ignorance.

Trade is governed by a whole load of complicated rules and standards that products have to satisfy. If there's no agreements then how are these rules and standards governed?

We will probably get a deal, not as good as EU membership, maybe close to a Norway model, but one thing is certain, it will cost all of us!

Get that blade ready gallas Grey Worm...

Gelding-knife.jpg

It's one thing putting up fight and loosing your winky. Its another just bending over and getting shafted but you would know all about that Ser Loras... I mean Scooter.

I think I am detecting a slight change of tone on the BBC discussion boards on the BBC. As the electioneering hyperbole finally begins to die away, the cold hard reality of where we really are begins to filter through to the Brexiteers. The rabid, "get these thieving, leeching Johnny foreigner types out of our sovereign country", tone is beginning to moderate.  

The Brexit voters are beginning to wake up to the reality that it is going to cost the UK government a substantial amout of money to extract itself from its EU commitments such that it is on good enough terms to trade subsequently with the EU. So it is going to cost us a lot of money just to reach a position that is less good than where we are right now. There will not be tea and buns for the NHS and shiny new tanks and guns for the UK forces, just a big black fiscal hole.

And we will still have to maintain a substantial amount of UK legislation just to trade with them, or allow our laws to be set in the US trade with them. The UK is just not that big and important enough to set the agenda.

Now I sense people are beginning to wonder if this was a good idea while the politicians desperately cast around for some sort of +ve that still holds water. Remember this was proposed as a good idea by Nigel Farage FFS.