Europe, we should tell them just to GTF

Gallus

52 minutes ago, Prahakillie said:

So how much is their support going to cost this time?

Like I said above it's hard to know if any amount of sweeties will be enough. The DUP leadership might sell out for sweeties but some of their core support would not.

P.S. Looks like Theresa has kicked it into the long grass again to avoid having the DUP throwing their toys out the pram. They are all going away for another big think. Surely she MUST be running out of long grass to kick it into.  

Edited by gdevoy

16 hours ago, gdevoy said:

Like I said above it's hard to know if any amount of sweeties will be enough. The DUP leadership might sell out for sweeties but some of their core support would not.

P.S. Looks like Theresa has kicked it into the long grass again to avoid having the DUP throwing their toys out the pram. They are all going away for another big think. Surely she MUST be running out of long grass to kick it into.  

But we know Naughty Theresa loves to run in the long grass at least until the farmer chases her!!

After giving this some thought I have come to the following conclusion:

Following the clusterf**k of her snap election, Theresa was in a very vulnerable position with back benchers of every conceivable agenda wandering about with long knives. Then she discovered a huge power within her own weakness. She discovered the secret spell, "if you don't back me you'll get Corbyn and none of us want that now do we?"

And it worked. Suddenly hard line Brexiteers were agreeing to 50billion euro payoffs to the EU. As Jeremy Hunt put it, if you don't support Theresa's Brexit there will be no Brexit. So off she went to Monday's meeting with a feeling that nothing could stop her.

Then the DUP said "NO". So Theresa phoned them up and reminded them of her magic formula. "Either back me or your sweeties get taken away and you will get Corbyn in charge" and they just repeated their own magic word, "NO". The key take away thing for me here is that English grammar school girls who can lord it over a lot of public school boys by keeping them gagging for it and like to naughtily run through farmer's cornfields just don't understand Irish politics.

I am extremely interested to see where we go from here.

It seems they are simply playing with words this afternoon:

"Labour’s Mike Gapes asks what is the difference between regulatory alignment and regulatory convergence.

Davis says one is about harmonisation, and one is not."

"David Davis clearly v keen on keeping 'regulatory alignment' [no wonder given his dept came up with the creative phrase]. Tells MPs: "alignment does not mean the same standards"....it means regulations "that give similar results" "

Davis says ‘regulatory alignment’ condition intended to apply to whole of UK, not just Northern Ireland

Antoinette Sandbach, a Conservative, says thousands of jobs in her constituency depend on regulatory alignment. Can we have that for the whole of the UK?

Davis says that was the intention. He says alignment is not the same as harmonisation.

Stephen Timms, says Davis seems to be saying today that the regulatory alignment principle will apply to the whole of the UK.

Davis says alignment is not the same as harmonisation. If we get a free trade areas, that will apply to the whole of the UK, he says.

Hmm, keep it vague and we can agree on definitions later...

1 hour ago, Prahakillie said:

It seems they are simply playing with words this afternoon:

"Labour’s Mike Gapes asks what is the difference between regulatory alignment and regulatory convergence.

Davis says one is about harmonisation, and one is not."

Hmm, keep it vague and we can agree on definitions later...

The Irish Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said on Sky News yesterday that alignment and convergence were the same thing.

He was very upfront and clear - unlike the UK position.

The DUP claim they were never shown a copy of what Theresa was going to offer the EU.

That is either a barefaced lie on their part or astounding incompetence on the part of the PM.

Now I know the DUP have a lot of form for excruciating intransigence to the point of utter stupidity but being good Irish Christians I sense they take pride in being totally truthful at all times. Also Theresa does have a lot of form for blundering incompetence.

But you make up your own mind.

I find it totally astonishing that the terms of the Brexit deal are being quite majorly affected by the DUP. I guess you could level this at any party's supporters who want to have a say in the negotiations. But my point is the lack of consensus is appalling, and it's not been driven by whats best for the economy or for the people of the country, it's being driven by a selfish obsession with remaining in power. It's party politics thats influencing the terms of the deal as opposed to broad consensus. it's frightening!!! The line I seem to be hearing more and more from the shouters is that the country voted for a hard Brexit. no, it f**kin didnt!! It voted for Brexit fullstop -  and thats where the shambles started. The terms of the exit have been kept til last. Therein lies the problem with Referenda. Asking people to vote on something without knowing the consequences is bound to cause complete chaos. 

The impact assessments piece is another thing. First there were, then weren't, then we find out, actually there were some done in 2012 which basically said that pretty much nothing the EU did had a detrimental affect on the UK. 

General Election early next year I'd say!

Distracts from Brexit itself.  Is guaranteed.

Unless someone can square the Irish circle - which isnt gonna happen..

You could see Labour going for single market access and Tories pursuing a Hard Brexit at all costs to create an offshore EU tax haven in a GE.

The SNP should show a pair and stand on an Independence in EU or EEA/EFTA (Norway style) ticket, given the chaos in UK, yet Scots voters repeated backing of the 2014/16 EU/UK single market status quo.

Edited by RAG

Is anybody else beginning to form a suspicion that there were impact assessments done which showed the UK would be totally and absolutely screwed without an EU deal.  At that point somebody said, "Oh f**k" and decided to burn the calculations. That would explain why:

1) Theresa May's cabinet have strangely stopped repeating the "no deal is better than a bad deal" mantra and telling everyone that if we don't get what we want we will just walk away. The only people spouting this now are the nut-jobs on her back benches and a load or right wing zealots on the BBC comments pages.

2) Now David Davies says the analysis he cold only provide heavily redacted, actually doesn't exist.

3) Theresa may seems to be now desperate to promise the EU anything they ask for in exchange for a deal including stuff any eejit would know the DUP will never agree too.

It has rather predictably all been left conveniently vague so everyone, the EU, the UK, the Irish Republic and the DUP can all claim they are getting what they want. The really interesting bit comes in round two when they decide who gets to decide which EU regulations from the Irish Republic should apply in NI. I'm guessing the Republicans will say it should be the EU and the DUP will say it must be the UK.

In effect they are just kicking the can down the road and if they can do that for long enough it will be somebody else's problem.

Presumably the bat-s**t, nut-job, Eton educated, Land of Hope and Glory singing Tory back benchers will hold their noses and sign up to it because they know to question it would bring down their minority government. And of course the toadying, sycophantic, grannies heilan hame, Tory Members from Scotland will go along with exactly whatever they are told to.

So everybody's happy then?