Dundee away thread

Dillinger

1 hour ago, Joe said:

What about frizz further forward. He has scored two goals. Very good goals in fact. I think Taylor needs a rest . Frizz can pick a pass. 

Kiltie further forward when he’s fit will be brilliant. Frizz coming on as a sub seems to be what Clarke wants from him

1 hour ago, Joe said:

I think kiltie may be a bit off from return. Hope he's not rushed. If I was frizz I would not want to be an impact sub at his age. Maybe a Wee loan deal. Having had first team football and doing OK he must be a bit confused. Surely he must be playing for someone.?

Kiltie is back running but still 2-3 weeks away from training.

2 hours ago, mitch14 said:

Still early days with this Clarke system though. 

He's already got more performances out of Broadfoot, Power and Burke than anyone could have reasonably expected!

As for Frizzell, I think he should be very happy with the progress he has made. He is still only 19 and has Under 21 caps and 45 first-team appearances to his name. He wouldn't have achieved nearly so much at Rangers.

He's an integral part of the first-team squad and I can't see him wanting or being allowed to go on loan.

One player who has hardly featured under Clarke is Thomas, which must be of concern to him. He started the season quite well, by all accounts, but he's fallen out of the picture.

45 minutes ago, skygod said:

One player who has hardly featured under Clarke is Thomas, which must be of concern to him. He started the season quite well, by all accounts, but he's fallen out of the picture.

I've noticed as well that although he is still involved with the under-21's he has been off form. I suppose that goes hand in hand with not playing for his club week in week out. But you have to ask, where would he play in the Steve Clarke system. 

2 hours ago, CM11KFC said:

I've noticed as well that although he is still involved with the under-21's he has been off form. I suppose that goes hand in hand with not playing for his club week in week out. But you have to ask, where would he play in the Steve Clarke system. 

My Motherwell mates tell me this is Thomas all over.  He starts well but seems to lose confidence through time, loses his place in the team and fails to motivate himself back into contention.  Hopefully Steve can rekindle the lads confidence because when he is on his game, I think he could be an important player for us.

Watching the highlights tonight Erwin should have buried that chance. The keeper got credit in the papers and on radio for the save but he hasn’t had to work for it. Erwin has put it straight at him. Either side and he’s a hero. 

On Thomas I was pleasantly surprised by him in the cup especially after I said he may be the new Chris Johnston. It didn’t really work for him in the league appearances though despite the confidence he would surely have come in with.

2 minutes ago, historyman said:

As for Thomas, you have to wonder what is happening there. Almost every player has responded positively to Clarke but it doesn't look like that's the case with Thomas so far at least. 

I hope it’s simply a case of others showing more. Perhaps Clarke doesn’t think he can accommodate Jones, Thomas and Burke in the same team. JJ is arguably our best player at the moment and aside from yesterday Burke has shown well since Clarke took over. So both justify selection ahead of Thomas. McKenzie on the other side may infuriate supporters at times but with his work rate and attitude I imagine he’s a managers dream and can offer a lot to the team in attack and defence when on form.

52 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

Now seen the highlights and Erwin's effort looked even more pathetic than it did watching on Saturday. The total lack of confidence was ridiculous for a striker at this level. Surely SC can do something to give the boy some self belief FFS.

I thought Brophy's miss was worse.

He should, at the very least, be able to hit the target with a free header from within the six yard box.

At the game on Saturday I didn't fancy Brophy and Erwin being brought on together. I would rather have seen Frizz on for Burke. And I cursed Erwin missing the 1 on 1. But..... SC gambled and both strikers had match winning chances - after virtually no other chances being created in the rest of the game. Ok they didn't take them. But in Erwin's defence (and hes not my favourite player) he cleared the corner and then ran 80 yards to get on the end of Jones through ball. So sure Boyd would have had more composure 1 on 1 with the keeper but there's not a chance in hell he'd have had the fitness to get into the position in the first place !

In terms of Taylor I don't think he needs a rest. His fitness is excellent and he gets stronger the longer the game goes - its been the same pattern from the Thistle game to Saturday. Unfortunately on Saturday he had several poor touches and gave away possession which isn't like him. But again he's a young boy and I'm all for sticking with him and Power in centre mid.

3 hours ago, gdevoy said:

Now seen the highlights and Erwin's effort looked even more pathetic than it did watching on Saturday. The total lack of confidence was ridiculous for a striker at this level. Surely SC can do something to give the boy some self belief FFS.

Pathetic ? A one on one chance he ran 80 yards to get on the end of. Give him a break. Aye it was a sitter. But pathetic  - I don't think so. 

10 minutes ago, Shug2930 said:

Pathetic ? A one on one chance he ran 80 yards to get on the end of. Give him a break. Aye it was a sitter. But pathetic  - I don't think so. 

I am trying to be +ve. He did very well getting into that position, he ran the length of the park and took a very good first touch but the attempt to beat the keeper totally lacked any conviction (perhaps the word "pathetic" is a wee bit over emotional). If you run all that way, for the love of heaven the least you owe yourself is to believe you are going to score.

3 hours ago, fraz65 said:

I thought Brophy's miss was worse.

He should, at the very least, be able to hit the target with a free header from within the six yard box.

Agreed. The goalkeeper done very well with Erwin's chance, delayed his run then rushed him as soon as Erwin took that extra touch. Composure is key for Erwin to improve, but I don't think he deserves as much stick as he is getting. 

Brophy's was a sitter

Just had a chance to watch the highlights, two very bad misses towards the end which has cost us 2 precious points. Erwin maybe runs 80 yards but he gets the ball 25 yards out, should control it and slot it past keeper, bad miss. Brophy 7 yards out, clear header, should keep it low and it’s a goal, bad miss. Unfortunately it keeps us close to Dundee when we should have been 6 points clear and only 4 off 6th place.