Social Media

baz

Word of mouth and social media are the best ways we have of getting the message about the Trust in Killie initiative out there. We have consulted with experts but part of the problem is that our target market is finite and our 'product' is really of no interest to anyone other than Killie fans. Sadly some of them are pretty reluctant to engage as well.

That said, we currently have 3,175 followers on Facebook and 2,567 on Twitter, just for KillieFC, not Trust in Killie (but of course a lot of them may be duplicates) so potentially, even at the least, we should be able to connect with about 4,000 Killie fans online with each message we put out. The actually 'reach' on Facebook has been clocked at 47k in the past...yet each Tweet or post we make only gets a couple of likes, shares or retweets; occasionally more for bigger news items.

I'd like to ask an honest question...why do you think that is? It literally takes seconds to do any of the aforementioned things on the social media sites, do we not bother because we think someone else will be doing it or do we not want to pester or non-Killie supporting mates with pro-Killie stuff? Do we have to mention on messages that we want people to spread the message further?

Looks like all the bases are being covered. As a non-Twitter or Facebook user I ain't much help! Do we know if Motherwell or any other club which has been successful at this have any magical formula we've not thought of? Their CEO seems a decent guy and a proper fan, sure he'd be happy to give advice.

12 minutes ago, Ken T said:

Looks like all the bases are being covered. As a non-Twitter or Facebook user I ain't much help! Do we know if Motherwell or any other club which has been successful at this have any magical formula we've not thought of? Their CEO seems a decent guy and a proper fan, sure he'd be happy to give advice.

We have spoken with the Well Society guy...the difference is that their fans realise what its about and are buying into it...a lot of ours still think that money just appears from magic trees and it will always just be there when we need it! Crisis is brilliant for garnering support...but try and garner support to avoid getting anywhere near a crisis and its a different story. For the non-internet fans club buy-in is essential, and although the club has signed Heads of Terms and John Kiltie said at the Cup Anniversary dance we need fans to support TIK...its difficult to get them to commit to anything more. That may seems strange given they've already committed themselves...but believe it or not there are people out there telling the club that if they say too much about TIK it will put off club sponsors. Seriously. I'm struggling to imagine who'd be put off sponsoring the club on the back of the fans raising money for the club's benefit, from what I can tell its been quite the opposite. Still, that's a different problem and not what I'm trying to solve here. Any other suggestions?

What about one of those crowd funding jobs on Facebook. Maybe folk don't like a monthly financial commitment when they have so many others, but they'd be comfortable with one-off donations to help reach a target sum. We're all proud to be Killie fans and something like that capitalises on it, giving folk a wee namecheck without the ongoing commitment. Still disappointing that more of our hard core support can't bring themselves to pledge 15 quid a month. Maybe they think buying a season ticket and a jersey is enough to support the club but this a completely different concept. 

36 minutes ago, Barneyboy said:

Hi Baz, is it possible to get something on the pitch in the way of advertising ( like the rugby ) for TIK. Don't know costs etc but if it could be done before a televised game it may help reach a larger amount of Killie fans.

You can't paint slogans or logos on the pitch. 

Could have messages off-pitch though now that there is so much redundant space around the perimeter! 

Edited by skygod

As an older user of these forums, i must confess that it takes me some time just to get to grips with this forum.  My son tells me that face book isn't really the first choice for many of his friends anymore and neither is twitter.  Whilst I would accept that social media can be a useful means of communication, there are still a number of us who are reluctant to use it for a variety of reasons.  Personally, I still think the old fashioned method of flyers being handed out at home matches and perhaps postal drops but accept these might be prohibitive with regard to cost.  Perhaps setting up a stall in the town centre might be a way forward?

As an oldie, I would also venture to suggest that much of the social media creates a sense of immediacy but can be forgotten just as quickly unless there is some kind of 'gimmick' that is used to encourage folks to share the message.

The sportsmans dinner was a good night and there seemed to be a few new folk signing up. My pal certainly did, said he's been meaning to for ages just never got round to it. There'll be plenty in the same boat.

I personally try and retweet or like every post of TIK as it literally takes seconds to do. Folk don't just sign up after one post though, we need to keep bigging it up and eventually more folk will join. 

Baz, might it be something to do with the age demographic of football fans?  It seems to be going up year on year.  Many won't use social media to take me as an example I don't use Twitter and though I'm on Facebook I can easily go a month without a look.  I'd guess many of those you have contact with are of a younger age group who might not have quite the same engagement or wherewithal to take on TIK.  Do you have stats to confirm or refute that?

4 minutes ago, jbm1965 said:

Baz, might it be something to do with the age demographic of football fans?  It seems to be going up year on year.  Many won't use social media to take me as an example I don't use Twitter and though I'm on Facebook I can easily go a month without a look.  I'd guess many of those you have contact with are of a younger age group who might not have quite the same engagement or wherewithal to take on TIK.  Do you have stats to confirm or refute that?

I thought our support the past month or so has been as youthful as it's been in a long time.

I think we will struggle to get the amount of monthly contributors that we are looking for. Folk that think it's easy to find the cash don't always understand that there are others that genuinely struggle for that fiver a month.

With regards to social media, the Killie fans that I know are students so don't have spare cash, pensioners that don't have spare cash, or already contribute.

I know Motherwell did a lot of old-fashioned bucket collections at the ground. Maybe they did them elsewhere in town as well? Perhaps Asda etc would allow this? One-off hits I know, but it still adds to the total.

There are still a lot of Killie fans who are not on this site who also do not use either Facebook or Twitter, so other ways to engage with them need to be found. I don't use Facebook or Twitter and never will, so the likelihood is I will only find out about new initiatives via this forum, unless leaflets are handed out. 

I suggested someone doing something at half time in another thread to highlight TIK. Could we get Pedro Junior to promote it at each home game?

I might be wrong here but is the point of this thread not simply to do with gauging responses from actual social media users on why there is a reluctance to like, comment, share, retweet the output about TIK?

a quick look on facebook shows that any killiefc post that is related to TIK gets about 20 likes max, limited comments and few shares, wheras a post of a video of Danny Crainie goal from 1993 has about 50. One v Real 150 plus.......

29 minutes ago, killieblues said:

I think we will struggle to get the amount of monthly contributors that we are looking for. Folk that think it's easy to find the cash don't always understand that there are others that genuinely struggle for that fiver a month.

With regards to social media, the Killie fans that I know are students so don't have spare cash, pensioners that don't have spare cash, or already contribute.

I know Motherwell did a lot of old-fashioned bucket collections at the ground. Maybe they did them elsewhere in town as well? Perhaps Asda etc would allow this? One-off hits I know, but it still adds to the total.

I don't think that anyone is saying that there's not folk that literally can't afford it and that's entirely understandable.

There ARE however 100s of fans who can easily afford it and for whatever reason choose not to. Motherwell and St Mirren come from similar towns to us, with similar fan bases, similar demographic but their update makes us look like second division support.

I agree with the one off hits too but there are still a lot of fans who'd not think twice about sticking £15 on a coupon or on a dominoes who for whatever reason aren't buying into this.

9 minutes ago, Ruud said:

I might be wrong here but is the point of this thread not simply to do with gauging responses from actual social media users on why there is a reluctance to like, comment, share, retweet the output about TIK?

a quick look on facebook shows that any killiefc post that is related to TIK gets about 20 likes max, limited comments and few shares, wheras a post of a video of Danny Crainie goal from 1993 has about 50. One v Real 150 plus.......

I'm not on Facebook or Twitter, but when I see folk on it it just seems to be a series of videos.  Maybe in addition to what is already out there adding our own wee videos would help hit a different target.

I mean this is crap, but it took me literally a few minutes in between jobs.  Might get shared a bit elsewhere, especially if it's particularly timely.

giphy.gif

A bit of constructive criticism.

It is not at all obvious that you can donate monthly amounts lower than £15. You have click on to other pages, people want one page one click to get to right page. £15/month, £180 per year is a lot of money for a lot of people. I was at the Sportsmens Dinner on Friday and the paper forms to Join TiK that were on every table only showed the minimum amount of £15/month, if I recall correctly.

If I was in charge of TiK I would make £3, £5 & £10 per month options shown on first page. I understand the rewards package would not be available.

I would also promote monthly donations to TiK as a Christmas gift for the person that is seek of getting socks, etc.

Thats a top idea @SaucyJackPirate Something to grab the attention alongside the important message. 

The issue with a relatively small account (2k followers) on twitter is that the post is 1. only going to be seen by a percentage of it's followers cos not everything posted is seen by all it's followers. Then 2. if you have a percentage of that number RTing it, then your dwindling the post's reach again.

I'd agree with the above, a lot of the people who'd be able, or willing to sign up to TiK might not be particularly avid social media users. 

Are there any local businesses who have a strong presence who could RT? TiK's message is not something toxic or controversial given the board are on board with it. 

Sometimes just some plain old repetition might just be needed. Not overkill, but there's really no harm in sending out the same tweets as you have done a few days prior

2 hours ago, Ruud said:

This.

I appreciate all the other comments being made, some really good stuff there and we will definitely be taking all that on board...this thread however was just an attempt to sideline one issue to see if I could resolve that, seeing as I'm heavily involved in the social media aspect of promoting TIK.

Some age groups are only on social media, others not at all and getting to those who are not is, as I said earlier, all about club by-in as that's what would make all the difference. We've had an article waiting to go in the match programme for months now that keeps getting sidelined (Meadowbank Stadium deemed more important, who'd have thought) and there should be mentions at half time, but nothing specific has been done about that yet...I'm sure Gav won't mind as he is one of the few club employees who have signed up so far.

Leaflets are unwanted due to litter issues.

The Sportsman's dinner was a success in respects of sign-ups.

Sorry if I've not addressed all points, bit of a hurry will have another look later.

3 hours ago, Ruud said:

Is that really a surprise though? An appeal to nostalgia getting more traction than an appeal for money?

Like others have said, and as the Sportsman's Dinner success shows, offering something besides just warm and fuzzies for supporting the youth is key. We're bombarded by please like/share messages on social media, and the ones I see gaining traction with friends and family sharing are the ones that offer some kind of prize, or play to our competitive instincts (Like this post more than X, Like if This, Share if That, etc), or make a strong emotional appeal.

Edited by kevin1869

Baz, I've just went onto the TiK twitter account. I'd not seen any of these posts, and I'm on the Twitter quite a lot. I'm just missing them. I've now RT'd a few of them to try to make up for it!? To answer your question with a totally s**t answer, I dont know why they're not being shared more widely, I cant think of a reason other than apathy towards it's aims