Striker in January

skygod

19 minutes ago, Bobby14 said:

Two pages of pure speculation based on absolutely nothing. The OP picked two names out of obscurity both of which have little to no chance of rocking up at rugby park. 

At least I conceded that speculation was probably futile!

And I only picked one name. I wouldn't have any interest in Islam Feruz coming to RP.

Edited by skygod

On 23/11/2017 at 2:07 PM, Jimmy Superscot said:

I think that this was probably just clever by SC to keep other clubs off the scent. It also seems from the interview with Youssouf that some sort of deal might always have been on the cards. Much better way of handling potential signings than either saying "no comment" or "we are hopeful of securing a deal", both of which could attract other clubs like flies round a cow pat.  

Whit?  this is Ayrshire a place no short of kye, where did you ever hear the product of a coo's er (the bit ye canny hit wi a banjo) a name like that?  Even the clegs might find something like that a bit genteel.

On 11/23/2017 at 8:57 AM, DAVE_T said:

Also to be fair he said signing Mulumbu was very unlikely as well but hey ho !! 

I don't think it would be a good idea to play poker against Steve Clarke! The guy gives nothing away ("stoic" was the word Gordon Waddell used to describe him in "The Sunday Mail"). I thought the Mulumbu stuff was brilliant- at the weekend, it was it would be a surprise if we could do a deal for a player like him, such a good player- then through the week, the deal is done. Good work.

14 hours ago, jbm1965 said:

Whit?  this is Ayrshire a place no short of kye, where did you ever hear the product of a coo's er (the bit ye canny hit wi a banjo) a name like that?  Even the clegs might find something like that a bit genteel.

Just a figure of speech! There are of course lots of Ayrshire coos in er Ayrshire.:P

On 11/24/2017 at 10:20 AM, skygod said:

At least I conceded that speculation was probably futile!

And I only picked one name. I wouldn't have any interest in Islam Feruz coming to RP.

Nothing wrong with a bit of futile transfer speculation @skygod. It keeps a lot of football journalists in a job for a start!

How much do you hope we sign James Wilson now? I know I do. :D

• 1 month later...
On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:39 PM, skygod said:

At Man Utd, one name jumps out. James Wilson ruptured a cruciate ligament on loan at Derby last season but is back playing and scoring in the Premier League 2. He has good pedigree - three Premier League goals from 3 (12) appearances, a successful loan spell at Brighton and England caps at the various age groups.

He's not going to get near United's first team and a loan for the second half of the season might be what he needs to get him back to his previous level.

Wilson has joined Sheffield Utd on loan.

Striker Kazuyoshi Miura, who turns 51 next month, has signed a new contract with Japanese second division club Yokohama FC.

The deal means he will enter the 33rd season of his record-breaking career, which began at the Brazilian side Santos in 1986.

"I will always play my heart out and hope to continue to grow (as a player)," he told Kyodo news agency.

The former Genoa and Dinamo Zagreb player has been at Yokohama since 2005.

Capped 89 times for his country, Miura's 139 goals place him sixth in the all-time list of top scorers in J-League's top division.

On 22/11/2017 at 8:39 PM, skygod said:

There seems to be agreement that we need at least one. Given Clarke's contacts, they could come from virtually anywhere so there is little point in trying to guess names.

But I did anyway!

The clubs where he would seem to have the closest connections are Man Utd and Chelsea. Not too shabby!

Chelsea have so many players out on loan that it's difficult to track down who is where and who is left. None of the current U23 strikers seem likely. Islam Feruz seems to still be kicking about having been on loan at umpteen clubs from Blackpool to Crete. Looks like a wasted talent - I saw him in the youth team years ago and he had blinding pace but not much of a football brain.

At Man Utd, one name jumps out. James Wilson ruptured a cruciate ligament on loan at Derby last season but is back playing and scoring in the Premier League 2. He has good pedigree - three Premier League goals from 3 (12) appearances, a successful loan spell at Brighton and England caps at the various age groups.

He's not going to get near United's first team and a loan for the second half of the season might be what he needs to get him back to his previous level.

Chelsea charge huge Loan fee's (Lukaku cost cost the club £4m when Clarke signed him for us and he was 19) That's why Islam Feruz has had so many clubs. It's a revanue stream for them. None of their U23 strikers are cheap because the position's as premium as it gets.  Rumours are Pardew is looking at Wilson on loan as a fallback if we can't Ings on loan

Edit: Bugger didn't realise Wilson had gone to the Blades Ings it is then Don't mind me it been a long Fortnight:ph34r::2:

Edited by baggie192

Good win today, mate!

I'm sure Chelsea do charge big fees for their prize youngsters but Feruz has been at Blackpool, Hibs, Crete, Swindon etc who are not rich clubs.

We had a full-back from them before, although it was a few years ago.

Anyway, if anyone can swing a freebie at Chelsea, it should be Steve Clarke!

5 minutes ago, skygod said:

Good win today, mate!

I'm sure Chelsea do charge big fees for their prize youngsters but Feruz has been at Blackpool, Hibs, Crete, Swindon etc who are not rich clubs.

We had a full-back from them before, although it was a few years ago.

Anyway, if anyone can swing a freebie at Chelsea, it should be Steve Clarke!

I was a good'un today. Hopefully we can move Evans quickly and bring in Deeney. The Chelsea thing stands though. The £4m Clarke spent on Lukaku was probably he's best investment. All the decent kids at Chelsea are expensive and forwards more so. Still 2 and a bit weeeks left yet