Jordan Jones

Pelesboots

Burnley are monitoring Northern Ireland winger Jordan Jones ahead of the January transfer window.

The 23-year-old has been starring for Kilmarnock in the Scottish Premier League prompting an international call-up from Michael O'Neill who also handed him the No 7 shirt for their World Cup play-off against Switzerland.

O'Neill believes Jones has the potential to become an established Premier League player, fulfilling promise he first showed as a trainee with Middlesbrough. The seven shirt, symbolic among Irish fans with George Best, was handed to him as an incentive.

Jones is a firm favourite at Kilmarnock utilising his pace and skill to good effect and improving under the tutelage of manager Steve Clarke.

He has made 19 appearances this season and scored two goals but his pace and trickery consistently helps set up chances for teammates. 

That has alerted Premier League Burnley as they scour the market for bargains while Championship side Norwich City have also taken notice.

Jones made his first team debut for Middlesbrough as a 19-year-old but admitted was left 'heartbroken' when he was released by the club. It followed on from his part in a street attack which saw a friend of his sent to prison. 

Jones has since described how he vowed to be 'a different person' as a result and has got his life back in order with football his focus. 'I've learned the hard way, made the worst mistakes you can make. I've made them and I know I won't do it again.'

(Daily Mail

Edited by Pelesboots

If Burnley think that he has got potential to play at that level and are willing to pay the asking price, I wouldn't be averse to selling. 

I would trust Clarke to use the money to strengthen other areas of the team. 

Fortunately, I don't think we would sell on the cheap like we've done in the past. 

1 minute ago, Gaz of the 20/20 said:

Would hate to see him go, but if we get good money (£1m+) and it coincides with Kiltie coming back and also scope to bring in another winger of SCs choice then couldn't complain too much.

Clarke may be quite happy to sell him if he can then use the money which will allow him to bring in the players he wants/needs.

Jones is free money anything we make is a bonus . 1 million is price I’d put on him he is the type of player who is electrifying pace and can beat a man with just a run . If he developed final ball and some goals no reason why he could play in premier league . Until then we will keep him . Clarke is building something big here and we are very attractive to better players now 

12 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He's better than some of the players we've sold down south in recent years. 

Agreed!

Matt Phillips is a Premiership player!

There is plenty dross down south in the Premiership. I think some people up here are beginning to believe the self proclaimed English hype!

Good news is, if it's to the Premiership then we are likely to get a reasonable fee for him.

1 minute ago, Bullitt said:

Agreed!

Matt Phillips is a Premiership player!

There is plenty dross down south in the Premiership. I think some people up here are beginning to believe the self proclaimed English hype!

Good news is, if it's to the Premiership then we are likely to get a reasonable fee for him.

Matt Phillips is exactly what's wrong with English football. Fast, strong but utterly sh1te at football.

20 minutes ago, Guff92 said:

Nowhere near good enough for the Premiership.

It would be interesting to see how he gets on in a team with better players around him. You're unlikely to find many players with the pace Jones has. You see the fright he gives defenders when a good ball is played through to him. Better players playing better balls through he can only improve.

Would certainly be interesting to see how he got on at that level. At the moment I don’t think he’s quite there and ready for it. He’s more effective than he has been and his influence continues to grow but he’s not quite at the level of say a Naismith, Bryson or Kelly who IMO we’re really leaving a mark on games week in week out although none went to EPL from us.

27 minutes ago, Fletch said:

If Coulibaly was £1M to Egypt then you need to be looking at more than this if you're deailng with an EPL side. £1M is pennies to a club like Burnley. If we lose him then we need to hope Kiltie comes back for Christmas or Dom Thomas gets his act together.

Isn’t he out of contract in the summer? No fee then.

there have been several different scouts watching Jones and couple other killie players over past year or so  ---- as is often the case...

If there was genuine interest from likes of Burnley to make a move as soon as January they would sign him as future potential and then probably loan him out for rest of the season --even back to us possibly

For me he would be better staying for now but do feel If Jones keeps improving  then he will be gone by next summer