Jordan Jones

Pelesboots

8 minutes ago, bute-killiefan said:

I'd argue that Jones would progress a lot better under Clarke than someone like Dyche, regardless of which league those coaches are coaching in

Agree with this. He'll move on eventually (and good luck to the boy), but I believe he will be a much better player if he stays while Clarke is managing and coaching him.

Edited by Blackislekillie

At this stage playing regular first team football is what’s best for him. He’s actually older than I thought at 23. Until he joined us he had something like 12 games under his belt. He’s still pretty raw so regular games will improve him. Moving back South when he isn’t quite ready could prove detrimental. Sub appearances here and there, Run outs for the reserves or into a never ending cycle of loan spells.

Given his history and the disappointment of his departure from Boro. The fact that he’s settled well here, performing pretty well here and getting international recognition I’m not convinced he’d be in any hurry to leave 

10 hours ago, skygod said:

Burnley are probably the EPL club which is most canny with money. 

You won't find them chucking it about like confetti. 

They bought Chris Woods for £15 million.

I said this on the other JJ thread - ask them for a fortune and let them negotiate down.  Hopefully SC's experience of the inner workings of EPL clubs will allow him to set a positive example in these kind of transfer deals.

Interesting posts and I agree that Jones has some way to go before he'd be a EPL player.

Doesn't matter what we on here think he's worth it's what a buying club think and whether that matches club's expectations?

I think both parties would be best giving it to the end of this season and seeing where we are then.

Would be great if any fee then could be used by SC to reshape squad?

Bugs me how people are happy to sell any player for £1million. Mibby years ago yea, but prices are crazy now....Jones is arguably our best player and a fan favourite and being looked at by an English Premier League team, which if he went, would put his value up to around £5 million just for being in that squad. Let's be more ambitious with the money we want for players.

As far as I am aware we are not desperately in need of money at the moment, so if we do get an offer let's push for £3million or so.

He is also an International player too, I'd love him to stay and see him progress but if he goes, let's get the money that he could be worth and that we can bring in some real quality to replace him.

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, historyman said:

I'd say that someone who can take a club like Burnley to the top six in the premiership must be one hell of a manager. 

Playing devil's advocate..... With Steve Clarke taking West Brom to an 8th place finish in the Premiership after 38 games, does that not make him one hell of a manager? 

Let's see where Burnley end up under Dyche after a full season, not 15 games.

On 24/11/2017 at 2:09 PM, Mark Robertson said:

I would think that Bowie is a hard headed businessman, he wouldn't be where he is if he wasn't. I would like to see him, and the rest of the board, put a £10 million price tag on his head if EPL clubs do come sniffing. That would put a clear message out that we are building something special and if you want our players you have to pay over the odds for them. £1 million is a paltry sum to accept for the potential in JJ, particularly when you see some of the duds who were signed for much more down south.

£10,000,000?

£10 million?

TEN MILLION POUNDS?

You on the glue?

49 minutes ago, Bobby14 said:

£10,000,000?

£10 million?

TEN MILLION POUNDS?

You on the glue?

£10mill is a bit strong but the principal is right. £1mill is nothing in today's markets and I personally hate how fans are happy with that amount. Coulibaly was acceptable as that was a 6month profit...Jones is in a 3 year contract and even has a killie tattoo.

We seem to be in a position now where we can negotiate and ask for more. Did we not recently turn down an offer for Cameron in the summer from a team down south? Or did I make that up?

18 hours ago, Bobby14 said:

£10,000,000?

£10 million?

TEN MILLION POUNDS?

You on the glue?

Nope if the like of Alan Hutton, 9 mill. Aiden McGeady, 9.5 mill. Barry Ferguson, 7.5 mill among others, can go for that money about a decade ago, then JJ is well worth 10 mill in todays even more over inflated EPL transfer market. He is an international player with the potential to be a great player. 10 million is not a huge price to take a gamble on potential. Set the price high and negotiate to halfway but letting him go for a million is crazy talk

8 minutes ago, Mark Robertson said:

Nope if the like of Alan Hutton, 9 mill. Aiden McGeady, 9.5 mill. Barry Ferguson, 7.5 mill among others, can go for that money about a decade ago, then JJ is well worth 10 mill in todays even more over inflated EPL transfer market. He is an international player with the potential to be a great player. 10 million is not a huge price to take a gamble on potential. Set the price high and negotiate to halfway but letting him go for a million is crazy talk

The only team that could command even half that fee for a player is Celtic. 

23 hours ago, historyman said:

I'd say that someone who can take a club like Burnley to the top six in the premiership must be one hell of a manager. 

I'll hand it to him, he is doing a very good job at Burnley and has them playing some nice football. Still think Clarke is better though

Edited by bute-killiefan