Aberdeen Match thread (Fred)

C4mmy31

2 minutes ago, skygod said:

This is part of what I was referring to by application and effort. Too much possession given away by long hopeful balls because players aren't brave or confident enough or are too lazy to try to pick out a pass; or to keep the ball if a pass isn't on. The easy option is to knock it forward long and hopeful.

Good point about going back the way too. McDonnell gets given square balls behind him, on his left foot so he has little option but to go back to McDonald. Give him the ball in front on his right foot so he can go forward.

There was an occasion late in the second half when Jones won the ball in midfield and drove across the pitch towards the box. He gave it wide to Frizzell but, instead of going on into the box, his movement was backwards and we ended up further back than we had started. This was untypical of him though as he is usually very positive in attacking space.

I also thought the Dons players seemed to win the majority of 50/50 tackles. I don't know if that was due to being more determined or superior strength.    

Part of the problem in the first half was with players hiding. Power was the only midfielder who showed up in the first 45mins. Jones apparently has a free role but was always in congested areas. Second half Taylor showed up and was using the ball well. Dicker was always available for a pass and was demanding the ball. JJ was drifting into space and getting at opponents rather than going into traffic. 

First half was not the same team I've watched since Clarke came in and you could tell he was pissed as he was in the tunnel before the half ended.

Second half there was an improvement and enough to say that Aberdeen are not great, far from it. They've a good attack but we have just as poor defence. 

I've gave MacDonald plenty of passes but for me he needs a punt up the arse. Beaten twice at his near post and his distribution is absolutely terrible.

Broadfoot and Greer were as bad as each other and Findlay had a shocker, does he have a right leg? 

Far too much passing back, wither it was due to lack of movement ahead or just s**tting out of playing a slightly more difficult pass, it was putting us under unnecessary pressure and killing our attacks.

Dicker made a big difference when he came on and power was our best player yet again.

I've liked the look of Brophy, when I've seen him now, yes it's annoying when he balloons a shot wide or over but at least he is trying and getting into those positions.

Rubbish game, rubbish result but we expected a defeat before kick off so will move on

57 minutes ago, Chris1810 said:

Were you unable to read the post above because of the red mist due to people criticising your hero?

Granted the defence in front of him is poor, but any keeper who gets beat at his near post time and time again needs to be questioned. Aberdeen even appeared to be targeting that with going for near post shots a few times. 

We have a perfectly good keeper on the bench who after that performance probably deserves a chance. 

As for the defence, i'm not sure what we can do apart from move Dicker into CB and play Mulumbu in the middle of the park 

Well let's hope if he is given his chance that the defenders playing in front of him give home a lot more than they are giving our present goalkeeper!

12 minutes ago, Bonbon19 said:

The angst on here is OTT because we were beaten by the 2nd best team in the league , we’re far from world beaters and it will take months not weeks to get us up the league 

Totally agree but we need to stop conceding goals so early we have a up hill battle as it is

The problem is the number of games we have before the January transfer window and Clarke can hopefully get rid of a few and bring in some replacements. If anybody thought we were going to march up the league just because we changed manager then they haven't been watching that group of players. It is going to take time until Clarke can weed out the dross and bring in something a bit better and that will depend on how much money he has to play with.

Very disappointing today. So what if Aberdeen are 2nd in the league we should be doing far better. Stevie Clarke was right game was over after 12 minutes. The attitude of the players was not good enough. I think Stevie Clarke showed in his interview that he isnt going to accept that standard of response from the players. For me that was the positive from today a manager who wants better for Killie. Several players probably played their way out of the door in January. Still think SC will get it right in the longer term. 

12 minutes ago, Garnkirk20 said:

Very disappointing today. So what if Aberdeen are 2nd in the league we should be doing far better. Stevie Clarke was right game was over after 12 minutes. The attitude of the players was not good enough. I think Stevie Clarke showed in his interview that he isnt going to accept that standard of response from the players. For me that was the positive from today a manager who wants better for Killie. Several players probably played their way out of the door in January. Still think SC will get it right in the longer term. 

I also believe SC will turn the club around, however, many of his comments were Locke/McCulloch-esque. Must work harder, don’t know what the problem is etc. But behind the bland statements their was real anger in his voice and a steely determination in his eyes. I wouldn’t want to be one of the underperformers at training this week. 

Just now, Zorro said:

I also believe SC will turn the club around, however, many of his comments were Locke/McCulloch-esque. Must work harder, don’t know what the problem is etc. But behind the bland statements their was real anger in his voice and a steely determination in his eyes. I wouldn’t want to be one of the underperformers at training this week. 

Hey, Z, great minds think alike :) 

36 minutes ago, theauldyin said:

likes of Dundee Hamilton can produce shock results and we cannot buy a home win, the team should take a long hard look at themself's, lots the deadwood needing culled, but unless we get a good fee for Jones in January, do not know how we can do it.

Days like today are when you really need Jones to perform if you are to get a big fee for him. He was ineffective for most of the game. Created next to nothing. The bonus was he was taking chances and got the break for the goal with bad keeping from Lewis.

2 minutes ago, Zorro said:

Although the quotes are the same I get the feeling Clarke actually has the knowledge of what to work on. He thinks differently to a lot of coaches in the Scottish game. 

1 minute ago, piffer said:

Days like today are when you really need Jones to perform if you are to get a big fee for him. He was ineffective for most of the game. Created next to nothing. The bonus was he was taking chances and got the break for the goal with bad keeping from Lewis.

Although the quotes are the same I get the feeling Clarke actually has the knowledge of what to work on. He thinks differently to a lot of coaches in the Scottish game. 

I think he does too. Aberdeen closed us down as a unit, they mostly had a bank of four supporting the front two pressing our midfield and defence. Whereas first half we had Erwin and JJ running about like headless chickens trying to shut down four defenders with no pressing from our midfield. Much better 2nd half, made Aberdeen look ordinary when we started to press as a unit. Without that defensive shambles at their 3rd goal, we might have scraped a draw as Aberdeen were looking shaky up to and after our goal.

2 minutes ago, piffer said:

My point was maybe we’ve all been too guilty in reading too much into these post-match interviews in the past, rather than questioning SC’s abilities. I wasn’t a McCulloch fan, but some people wanted him sacked for saying he didn’t know what the problem was. Perhaps we need to take a breath before posting these OTT reactions. 

Lets concentate on the performances rather than the interviews. Even in defeat today, i still felt we were in better shape than we were a few weeks ago. I find the possibility of Dicker, Mulumbu and Power in midfield genuinely exciting. I think there’s enough about those three to free up another attacking option and still provide protection for our back four. Taylor and O’Donnell will have space to play in. Jones could be allowed to roam. Kiltie still to come back....it’s not as gloomy as some would have us believe. 

5 minutes ago, Zorro said:

Lets concentate on the performances rather than the interviews. Even in defeat today, i still felt we were in better shape than we were a few weeks ago. I find the possibility of Dicker, Mulumbu and Power in midfield genuinely exciting. I think there’s enough about those three to free up another attacking option and still provide protection for our back four. Taylor and O’Donnell will have space to play in. Jones could be allowed to roam. Kiltie still to come back....it’s not as gloomy as some would have us believe. 

Agree with this. I think today may have been the last outing for that starting formation. Possibly a 4-3-2-1 formation in the future now that we have the players for CM. 

Defeat is never a good thing but SC will have learned a lot more about the players today especially in the first half than in previous outings. To see players crumble in possession, hide, s**t out of tackles will have told him a lot. 

If SC doesn't know what the problem is I cant tell him.

Brodfoot and Erwin are out of their depth at this level. The Sheep were very physical and we had too many tottie wee players like Frizzel and McKenzie on the park in the first half.

I thought we improved when Dicker came in so there's another clue. Where he went wrong was keeping Brodfoot on the park.

3 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

If SC doesn't know what the problem is I cant tell him.

Brodfoot and Erwin are out of their depth at this level. The Sheep were very physical and we had too many tottie wee players like Frizzel and McKenzie on the park in the first half.

I thought we improved when Dicker came in so there's another clue. Where he went wrong was keeping Brodfoot on the park.

I don’t think they were that physical in the areas that hurt us. They dominated our strikers at times. It’s embarrassing that Rory McKenzie is s**tting out of tackles against GMS or Ryan Christie. Christie, McLean, GMS, Shinnie didn’t have much physical advantage over our midfield. They just wanted it more.  

Dicker came on and early doors gave Christie a clattering. It was a fair tackle but he made sure Christie knew what was going on. From that point Christie was ineffective. Taylor showed up second half and found a bit of aggression which helped as well  Erwin got pushed and pulled but never thought to give it back. Boyd wasn’t great but he gave a bit back as did Brophy. 

Just watched SC post match and he looked pretty pissed off, not at all happy with the players and I expect he will make that clear to them.

Like me he said "the game was over after 10 minutes" and if the players don't turn up there is nothing the manager can do.

I think he needs to get his own man into the dressing room to get his message over.