Aberdeen Match thread (Fred)

C4mmy31

Bell, S. Boyd, Brophy, Burke, Findlay, Greer, Higgins, Samizadeh, Smith, Spencer, Thomas, and Waters could all leave in January without adversely effecting our overall shape or starting Xl. 

Boyd, Broadfoot, Erwin, Frizzel, MacDonald and McKenzie have enough about them to see us through to the summer. Whether that would be as starters or squad players would depend on their effort and SC’s ability to bring in replacements. 

We desperatly need a new keeper, a new CB and a couple of forwards, if we want to move up this league though. 

24 minutes ago, Zorro said:

Bell, S. Boyd, Brophy, Burke, Findlay, Greer, Higgins, Samizadeh, Smith, Spencer, Thomas, and Waters could all leave in January without adversely effecting our overall shape or starting Xl. 

Boyd, Broadfoot, Erwin, Frizzel, MacDonald and McKenzie have enough about them to see us through to the summer. Whether that would be as starters or squad players would depend on their effort and SC’s ability to bring in replacements. 

We desperatly need a new keeper, a new CB and a couple of forwards, if we want to move up this league though. 

He's a carthorse and a liability.   O'Donnell wouldn't be missed either. 

3 minutes ago, Dieter's Heeder said:

He had been excellent since he's returned to the starting XI until yesterday.

Yip that was Broadfoot’s worst game under Clarke. Aye he was crap yesterday but who wasn’t? He’s an easy target and always going to be one of the first to cop it.

The only 2 positives from yesterdays match:

Alan Power looks a cracking player / Gary Dicker returned.

No point discussing tactics & team selection if your 2 down after 12mins, you'd think with the experience in the back four we'd be at least able to start games solid, it feels like every game at RP we are 1 down before 15mins and need to play our way back in to game, losing all momentum/support from the crowd.

14 hours ago, KillieBus said:

There won't be a manager/coach anywhere who hasn't mentioned working hard/harder during the week during an interview.

There is only so much you can say (or will be willing to say) to the same old questions from journalists that get asked time and time again.

Did you say that about Locke?

9 hours ago, Zorro said:

where are we going to find the money ? you cannot just get rid of a player without paying up his contract, the only way we get players in is in loans.we are stuck with most of the above players till the summer. 

6 hours ago, fraz65 said:

What about Waters and Higgins? The list of dead wood goes on. 

Calling two young players (who were brought in to develop) deadwood will do wonders for their confidence. Both have more experienced players ahead of them in the squad, what exactly are you expecting for them not to be deadwood? 

37 minutes ago, theauldyin said:

where are we going to find the money ? you cannot just get rid of a player without paying up his contract, the only way we get players in is in loans.we are stuck with most of the above players till the summer. 

It’s been quite common for us to insist on appearance release clauses in recent years. There’s plenty on that list who should be punted on that criteria alone. 

For me we should realistically be making moved to cut short the deals of Stevie Smith, Scott Boyd, Spencer - all three are unlikely to feature before their deal expires at the end of the season. Scott Boyd obviously has his off-field role so hopefully we could come to an agreement for him to retire from playing duties. If Kris Boyd fancies retiring into his media duties it wouldn't be a bad thing either to get someone in to replace him because I'd guess that his wages are far exceeding his current level of performance.

Findlay can go back to Newcastle. Filled a space for a while but Taylor looks very lightweight in the middle of the park and moving him back to left back maybe isn't a bad move.

Get Dom Thomas out on loan or anything to free up some money because he isn't even close to getting a look in.

I would hope the young 21 and under boys McCulloch brought in Samizadeh, Higgins, Waters and Brophy are being paid similar money to other younger players at the club rather than first team wages.

Edited by Fletch

36 minutes ago, PillieKie said:

Calling two young players (who were brought in to develop) deadwood will do wonders for their confidence. Both have more experienced players ahead of them in the squad, what exactly are you expecting for them not to be deadwood? 

Do you think SC picks his team based on age and/or experience? Those guys were brought in to add depth to the squad, they’ve added nothing. Time to say goodbye. There’s no room for passengers at the bottom end of the league. 

FWIW, I was very encouraged by the second half performance. If we'd have nicked an equaliser I dont think anyone from Aberdeen would've complained. Dicker was unbelievable given thats this first game in months. He's going to make a massive difference. 

The other encouraging point imo was the fact that you clearly saw our manager's ability to change and positively influence a game cos we were a different animal after half time. The only reason they got a third was cos we were committed up the pitch. Oh, and the fact that the two centre halves didn't deal with May!

For me, it's a shame Findlay is getting a bit of stick, you could see his head was down, but I like the kid, and he's going to have good and bad games. 

I was confused that Rory was often found in no mans land in the fist half. I wonder if he'd been told to come inside rather than stick wide cos GMS was getting loads of time and space on the ball as a result. 

"We go again" etc

10 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Scott Boyd obviously has his off-field role so hopefully we could come to an agreement for him to retire from playing duties. 

His off-field role is, unless I've missed something, an internship with the club to help him in his sports management degree studies. 

I'm sure this will be unpaid and, at just 31, he will see his retirement from playing as being some years away. 

18 minutes ago, Zorro said:

Do you think SC picks his team based on age and/or experience? Those guys were brought in to add depth to the squad, they’ve added nothing. Time to say goodbye. There’s no room for passengers at the bottom end of the league. 

I'd be pretty certain he picks players based on experience yes... Higgins is behind two experienced centre halves with international experience, are you expecting him to be starting every week? He is a back up option, how is that not providing depth? Or we could sign another high earning defender to sit on the bench every week to provide "depth". I'd rather have a young development player on a low wage as the back up tbh... 

2 hours ago, PillieKie said:

I've never seen either of them play. If Waters, at the age of 21, can't get into the current side at left back, then it would seem unlikely that he'll make a career for himself at Rugby Park, particularly as the manager who brought him in has left. His replacement managed to sign Romelu Lukaku on loan so I don't think that an SPL-standard left back will be beyond him.

Additionally, I doubt very much that the players will be trawling the message boards looking for comments on their ability.

One thing I got frustrated at yesterday was players not running into space to either get a pass or take defenders out the game, Jones for instance instead of running on when Findlay was bringing the ball out he stops and turns to ask for the ball whereas if he kept running forward Findlay could have played the ball over the top for him to run onto, or he takes two Aderdeen players up the wing with him creating space for Findlay to maybe put in a half decent cross. This is an area that they should be working on at training. (Jones not the only guilty party but used for an example as I rate the boy very highly). Second half Taylor started to run into spaces but wasn't getting the service early which then congested the corner area with Killie players.

Brophy I thought brought some strength and speed into the final third but needs a little composure on his finishing.

3 hours ago, Fletch said:

For me we should realistically be making moved to cut short the deals of Stevie Smith, Scott Boyd, Spencer - all three are unlikely to feature before their deal expires at the end of the season. Scott Boyd obviously has his off-field role so hopefully we could come to an agreement for him to retire from playing duties. If Kris Boyd fancies retiring into his media duties it wouldn't be a bad thing either to get someone in to replace him because I'd guess that his wages are far exceeding his current level of performance.

Findlay can go back to Newcastle. Filled a space for a while but Taylor looks very lightweight in the middle of the park and moving him back to left back maybe isn't a bad move.

Get Dom Thomas out on loan or anything to free up some money because he isn't even close to getting a look in.

I would hope the young 21 and under boys McCulloch brought in Samizadeh, Higgins, Waters and Brophy are being paid similar money to other younger players at the club rather than first team wages.

Not sure why we should get rid of S Boyd all of a sudden. Given how the two CB's played on Saturday I would be more than tempted to give him a chance to see if he can stake his claim for a jersey. I doubt that Greer and Broadfoot will manage all the games in our December schedule anyway.