Aberdeen Match thread (Fred)

C4mmy31

3 hours ago, Rml said:

Well it wasn't through lack of effort if that's what you're getting at.

O'Donnell not bothering to track and close down for the first, leaving it for others to do, MacDonald slow to get down to shot.

Broadfoot for giving the ball away and fouling GMS, nobody picking up May for the second.

Sloppy.

Edited by skygod

7 minutes ago, Bbk said:

Are you seriously blaming Jamie macdonald for any of the three goals what about the defending in front of him think a lot of the blame must go to greer and Broadfoot! 

Were you unable to read the post above because of the red mist due to people criticising your hero?

Granted the defence in front of him is poor, but any keeper who gets beat at his near post time and time again needs to be questioned. Aberdeen even appeared to be targeting that with going for near post shots a few times. 

We have a perfectly good keeper on the bench who after that performance probably deserves a chance. 

As for the defence, i'm not sure what we can do apart from move Dicker into CB and play Mulumbu in the middle of the park 

1st half was a disaster. That first ten minutes killed us with the goals but too many players were hiding. 

Second half was a big improvement. 

Dicker brought a competitive edge in CM. Taylor showed up and had an input second half. Boyd gave us a presence up front. Brophy looked decent when he came on and gave Aberdeen something to think about. 

JJ was a tit. He stupidly talked himself into the book and that’s what’s done him not the tackle. 

Power I thought was our best player over the ninety minutes.

We made enough chances to get back into it but didn’t test Lewis enough. 

There is a major problem at the back. It was evident before Clarke came in and reared its ugly head again today. The triangle of MacDonald, Broadfoot and Greer doesn’t work and something has to give. I’ve not seen the goals again so not blaming Jamie but twice the keeper is beaten at his near post. Either the CBs aren’t doing their job or the keeper is at fault. There is clearly a confidence and communication issue between the three. None of their strengths seem to compliment each other. Is it time to try something different? Dicker and Boyd at CB? Bell in nets? Revert to a back three? 

Its hard to judge as Aberdeen might have taken their foot of the gas but when we improved they weren’t streets ahead of us but they were more clinical. First half we didn’t show up and they punished us. This is a game last season or the year before we’d have lost by four or five. We stopped the early rot at two and had a real go at getting back into it. We are improving but a long way to go.

Shocking first half some players were found wanting and experienced players let us down ...our right side was cruelly exposed time and time again early on ...with McKenzie and O'Donnell struggling badly to work together and looked very soft 

Frizzell again disappointed when starting a game ...Erwin is a very baffling player ......and should be doing a lot more 

better second half and could have somehow scrambled a point if we had not lost another soft goal 

Jones lost it..his childish rant for the first booking was silly ...hopefully we do not see that side of him too often as he is our main threat going forward at the moment 

Edited by Scouser2

When you think most of these players are or should be fighting for therir future as i assume clarke will start rebuilding in January and dismantle the s**te squad been created over a number of so called managers reigns it really is suprising the individual simple errors. A simple ball for the 3rd that Greer an experianced cb at a decent level failed to deal with was criminal especially as  we were back in the game at that point. Btw a guy on loan from Newcastle  who cannot pass a ball down the line properly , Findley put in one decent cross the whole game as well. We also do not test opposition keepers. How many shots did we actually have on target?

Massive challenge for Clarke keeping us up but i guess he knew that. At least we appear now to be fighting for our survival off the park at least. Who do we have to replace Jones for st johnstone.  Time to try out  Thomas again in same role and hopefully we will see the new signing? 

Edited by langlands_killie

Think MacDonald was wrong footed for 1st but O'Donnell's fault not being tight or goal side. 3rd goal was Greer's bumbling although Broadfoot didn't help much. MacDonald kept us in the game with other saves?!

McKenzie might have improved recently but glad to see him n Frizzell hooked for doing nothing first half. Dicker much better. Jones found out a bit against a good team. Erwin doesn't give a f**k.

As for effort and application? If they weren't down 2-0 in 10 minutes maybe but gies a break, Aberdeen let us back in it and we never took the chances.

Bad defending cost us .Played a lot better in the second half .Boyd gave us more of a precence upfront and did more in the 1st 10 minutes than Erwin done the whole of the 1st half .Don't know what Clark was thinking starting Erwin before Boyd ,maybe he thought that he had a more physical precence and that had worked for Well .Clark has a big job on his hands keeping us at least away from a play off place as Hamilton and Dundee have picked up surprise wins 

42 minutes ago, Mark Robertson said:

Really frustrating game to watch, my necks sore from watching the ball in the air. There were flashes of a really good passing team there though. We are crying out for a goal scorer, we had more shots than Aberdeen, just couldn't finish them. Dicker looks like the man, be interesting to see him and Mulumbu together. Defence looked like the Jig era again. I liked Brophys energy, can't see Boyd and Erwin starting together again. And Steven McLean is one of the worst refs our leagues ever seen and thats saying something considering some of the dross over the years

Can't disagree with any of that.   If we concentrated passing the ball on the deck we would do better.   We also need to stop going back the way as often as we do as we allow teams to cover up and close gaps, and too often our players are picking up passes facing their own keeper rather than running onto the pass. 

Goalie and whole back four did not play well at all, especially the centre halfs. We lost very cheap goals. 

Second half a bit better with Boyd on for Erwin who was a complete waste of a jersey but still too many long balls being played.  Poorest performance under Clark  

Return of Dicker was the best thing about us. He was our best player when he came on.

McLean is a disgrace of a referee, books Jones for talking back but not Christie? Guy is an utter clown. 

3 hours ago, Pelesboots said:

If we concentrated passing the ball on the deck we would do better.   We also need to stop going back the way as often as we do as we allow teams to cover up and close gaps, and too often our players are picking up passes facing their own keeper rather than running onto the pass. 

This is part of what I was referring to by application and effort. Too much possession given away by long hopeful balls because players aren't brave or confident enough or are too lazy to try to pick out a pass; or to keep the ball if a pass isn't on. The easy option is to knock it forward long and hopeful.

Good point about going back the way too. O'Donnell gets given square balls behind him, on his left foot so he has little option but to go back to McDonald. Give him the ball in front on his right foot so he can go forward.

There was an occasion late in the second half when Jones won the ball in midfield and drove across the pitch towards the box. He gave it wide to Frizzell but, instead of going on into the box, his movement was backwards and we ended up further back than we had started. This was untypical of him though as he is usually very positive in attacking space.

I also thought the Dons players seemed to win the majority of 50/50 tackles. I don't know if that was due to being more determined or superior strength.    

Edited by skygod

With us suffering with Boyd, Erwin and Brophy, I don't think there's a team in the SPL that have a weaker forward line.  Erwin I keep expecting more from - today was particularly baffling as he seems genuinely lazy, even lazier than Boyd.  Maybe he doesn't have the best body language but he seemed loathed to join in any pressing.

Brophy and Boyd just don't seem to offer anything.  A few people have mentioned the word "presence" about Boyd, which at about 20 stone you'd expect, but he now doesn't seem to bother even attempting anything unless it's put on a plate for him, and when it is put on a plate he misses, and somehow the providers get the blame for "no end product".

As for Brophy, I don't want to write a player off when we've seen so little of him, but he's certainly not had any impact so far, and doesn't appear to have any outstanding attributes to his game, i.e. he does seem to have a "style" as such.

I felt a bit sorry for Broadfoot today - I'm in the "absolute liability" school of thought about him - he had a hand in both the first and third goals, but as Zorro said earlier in the thread, the guy does not hide - kept making himself available, kept trying to move forward with the ball, and it's criminal that he and Findlay kept having to be the ones to make telling passes and then being slaughtered for going long when no one was showing - I don't think I've seen worse off the ball movement from us than in that first half.  Centre halves should be able to play football, but they certainly shouldn't have to be relied on to be make the key passes regularly.

Edited by Lorielus

20 minutes ago, historyman said:

Erwin who was a complete waste of a jersey 

Return of Dicker was the best thing about us. He was our best player when he came on.

McLean is a disgrace of a referee, books Jones for talking back but not Christie? Guy is an utter clown. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again...Erwin is a dud.

Also agree about Dicker, great to see him back.

Christie even kicked the ball away from under McLean's nose after he had awarded us a free kick and it seems to me that he didn't book him because it would've been a second yellow.

Frustrating. A difficult game to analyse in some ways, because the defesive shape and pressing actually worked fairly well. It was individual errors again and again that cost us.

That starting formation is just not working in an attacking sense. That said, will be interesting to see it with Dicker, because he was finding balls in the second half.

Really don't like Findlay at left back. Both systems today needed a left back that would get up the pitch and create. Findlay can't do that. I'd like to see Taylor go back there. Clarke needs a word with Jones too. The first booking was the culmination of him getting more and more wound up and the second was needless. When he gets frustrated he starts doing mazy runs and stops looking up. Still a lot to learn.

For all the negatives, it was a much better performance v Aberdeen than in recent years. Partick is going to be my measure of progress. With games under the belt and players back I think that might be where we start to move up the table.