Lee Erwin

Killiepies

The Taylor comments are wide of the mark in my view. I've seen him having games where he's been worse than some other games, but he's one of my first names on the sheet! Love the wee guy. (yes, perhaps cos he's one of our own etc). 

I would hope that SC has a similar effect on Thomas as he's had on some other players who in general have become better players than they were under precious managers. I had high hopes for Dom when I saw him a few times earlier in the season, hopefully he can go on to be a good player for us. 

2 hours ago, Joe said:

Good stuff. Least you have a view. may I reiterate, I like Taylor, but feel he needs a wee rest. I do at times think he is predictable. But like him. As for Thomas I am not so sure. Like you FMCC my view.

Hopefully they will all be good players. Like you ive watched them lots.

I agree with Taylor perhaps needing a rest. It’s a strange one though. In the past two matches I’ve felt he’s been very poor first half but at half time he’s come out like a different player. Far from perfect but he’s involved and making a mark in the second half of these games. We just need to work out why he’s not doing it in the first. 

A player, or at least type of player I feel that we miss from last season is Nathan Tyson. Although he didn't score he played the lone striker role brilliantly, chasing and harrying defenders, pulling them out of position, holding the ball up and bringing others into play. His unselfish style enabled the likes of Jones to cut inside from wide areas and get shots away,

At the moment we have two forwards in Boyd and Erwin who consistently have high balls launched at them. Neither is the type of striker like Tyson who will work to close down defenders and drag them out of position (although to be fair to Boyd he does try, though it is not his natural game).

With the strength we now have potentially available in midfield, Power, Dicker, Mulumbu, Kiltie when fit etc, a Tyson style forward could bring others into play and create openings for the likes of Jones, Thomas, McKenzie, Kiltie. 

The only one of the 3 on the books at the moment who looks like he might be able to play something like that role is Brophy. Therefore it might be interesting to see what he could do as a lone striker. Due to height, launching the ball at him would be useless-it would have to be into feet-to see if he can bring others into play.

I can't see how anyone can play the lone striker role brilliantly and never score.

I could run around for umpteen games and never score and as for Jones cutting in to space created how many goals did he score last season?

Nevertheless I take the point about a more mobile forward being required but he won't be a brilliant acquisition unless he scores a few!

With the constant chopping and changing we had last season especially in the first half of it, Tyson never got a consistent enough run of games.(tbf he was also injury prone, and when he came to us, was 34) When he was playing, there was a period when, for me, we looked a better side than previously,as he helped to carry the team further up the pitch. Completely accept that a lone striker needs to be chipping in some goals as well, but an effective player who does a lot of running for the team, holds the ball up, and plays others in, also enables the midfielders to get forward, and creates more attacking options.

Whether Brophy can provide that at the moment, we don't know as he hasn't been tried in that role. Maybe he can, maybe he can't, and at the same time I still have confidence in SC to bring in such a player in Jan. Generally in the EPL however, teams rely on pretty big, physical forwards, so time will tell.

Edited by Jedi2

• 1 month later...

I heard a Motherwell fan discussing his time with them and he mentioned that it just wasn’t happening for Lee in his first 6 months with them. The second half of the season he got a few goals, got a bit of confidence and his form from then on got him his move to Leeds. 

He showed some bottle by picking the ball up for that penalty yesterday so fingers crossed he pushes on now. 

I've no doubt SC knows exactly what happened to Lee Erwin during the break.However he has spoken positevely about him to the press which will hopefully help the lads confidence.Heard a Well fan say that when he was on form he was unplayable though sadly that was only 1 in every 5 or 6 games.