The Pitch

Comeonkillie

7 hours ago, Tonzer said:

This will probably be an unpopular opinion but I don't think the pitch makes a massive difference - I think the crowd does.
We have consistently fielded one of the youngest sides in the SPFL over the last few seasons and consistently boo'd them off the park.
Think back to the number of big games where the crowd had got & stayed behind the team and think of the performance levels the team has found.  The same has been true (largely) since SC arrived.  Better backing & better performances.
The team has a massive responsibility to provide us with fearless, entertaining football and to win more games than we lose - That's why as paying fans, we pay their wages, but we need to provide a level of support too.  It's never down to just one factor but I think this is a massive one - I see young players withdrawing into themselves when fans start getting on their backs at RP.
I defy anyone to tell me our away support isn't a more positive experience for fans & players alike than our home support is.

Only game where the fans have given similar backing was against Hibs. If it was any of our previous three managers in charge the booing would have started after the second Aberdeen goal, possibly even after the first. The whole thing needs to be proactive, players visibly geeing up the crowd, fans responding with vocal encouragement.

3 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

Hardly, nearly every away support gives more vocal encouragement to their team that our support does to Killie.

And? It’s the same at most away grounds we visit too. Do we think the fans from these other teams only sit in silence when we visit?

But, If we accept negative environmental factors are impacting on performances, I’d suggest the one which the players have to physically interact with, the pitch, is going to have a far greater impact than anything said or sung by some fat pie muncher who’s probably never kicked a ball in their life. 

The idea that games are won or lost due to the atmosphere, may be popular with the owners trying to shift tickets or fans desperate to believe their presence matters. However, the truth is they’re won by putting in hours and hours of practice, honing skills and reactions until they become better than those of the opposition. These guys have grown up with idiots shouting nonsense from the sidelines, it’s probably just white noise by now. 

24 minutes ago, Zorro said:

And? It’s the same at most away grounds we visit too. Do we think the fans from these other teams only sit in silence when we visit?

But, If we accept negative environmental factors are impacting on performances, I’d suggest the one which the players have to physically interact with, the pitch, is going to have a far greater impact than anything said or sung by some fat pie muncher who’s probably never kicked a ball in their life. 

The idea that games are won or lost due to the atmosphere, may be popular with the owners trying to shift tickets or fans desperate to believe their presence matters. However, the truth is they’re won by putting in hours and hours of practice, honing skills and reactions until they become better than those of the opposition. These guys have grown up with idiots shouting nonsense from the sidelines, it’s probably just white noise by now. 

24 minutes ago, Zorro said:

If only I was a fat pie muncher. At the Aberdeen game I couldn't buy one, all the other fat pie munchers had eaten them. Apparently we haven't won a home league game for seven months, and we haven't lost an away game since September 9th so it must all be down to the pitch then, your object of hate. Except it is the same for both teams. The players appreciate vocal support, like everyone else they want to be loved or at least appreciated. Steve Clarke said that the players were taken aback by the reaction of the fans after the Hibs game, we want them to win, why not show it ?

17 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

If only I was a fat pie muncher. At the Aberdeen game I couldn't buy one, all the other fat pie munchers had eaten them. Apparently we haven't won a home league game for seven months, and we haven't lost an away game since September 9th so it must all be down to the pitch then, your object of hate. Except it is the same for both teams. The players appreciate vocal support, like everyone else they want to be loved or at least appreciated. Steve Clarke said that the players were taken aback by the reaction of the fans after the Hibs game, we want them to win, why not show it ?

It isn't just the pitch. It's a shameful abomination, granted, but it can't be wholly to blame for our risible home form. The stadium is unsuitable for us and the league we play in. 

31 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

You’ve got the wrang end of the stick; I’m not calling you a fat pie muncher. Rather that in my experience the most negative supporters tend to resemble the infamous Mr Sawers. I’m sure you’re nothing but supportive and the players probably appreciate it, but as the Hibs game demonstrated, increased support/backing doesn’t equal more points. 

You’re correct though, I’m not a fan of the pitch. Given the statistical evidence, I’m surprised any killie fan is. It is a millstone around our neck. Dragging us down the table. Get rid of it and I’m sure the atmosphere will improve. Winning at home tends to have that effect. 

3 minutes ago, Zorro said:

You’ve got the wrang end of the stick; I’m not calling you a fat pie muncher. Rather that in my experience the most negative supporters tend to resemble the infamous Mr Sawers. I’m sure you’re nothing but supportive and the players probably appreciate it, but as the Hibs game demonstrated, increased support/backing doesn’t equal more points. 

You’re correct though, I’m not a fan of the pitch. Given the statistical evidence, I’m surprised any killie fan is. It is a millstone around our neck. Dragging us down the table. Get rid of it and I’m sure the atmosphere will improve. Winning at home tends to have that effect. 

Even though I think a noisy home support helps the problem to me is the quality of player in key positions. We don't have enough quality in midfield to break down teams at home and when we do create openings we don't have a decent striker to finish off the openings we create. Easier away from home when teams attack us and create more spaces at the back. Hopefully Mulumbu will play some part next week and Brophy wasn't seriously injured on Saturday. 

Even though I think a noisy home support helps the problem to me is the quality of player in key positions. We don't have enough quality in midfield to break down teams at home and when we do create openings we don't have a decent striker to finish off the openings we create. Easier away from home when teams attack us and create more spaces at the back. Hopefully Mulumbu will play some part next week and Brophy wasn't seriously injured on Saturday. 

According to SC's post match interview on the BBC, Brophy only had cramp, nowt to worry about.

9 hours ago, Zorro said:

'Football without the fans is nothing'. 

11 hours ago, Wrangodog said:

Only game where the fans have given similar backing was against Hibs. If it was any of our previous three managers in charge the booing would have started after the second Aberdeen goal, possibly even after the first. The whole thing needs to be proactive, players visibly geeing up the crowd, fans responding with vocal encouragement.

Why would/should a player need to gee up the crowd? I’d just let them play football. 

9 hours ago, Wrangodog said:

So we’re in agreement; ability honed by practice is far more important in obtaining results than how the crowd behaves. 

10 minutes ago, Bobby14 said:

Why would/should a player need to gee up the crowd? I’d just let them play football. 

For my sins. I recently watched the league cup final, we don't talk about. Gary Locke came on, immediately won a corner, the crowd was flat & he came running over to take it, gritted his teeth & geed up the crowd. He got his response, we scored and enjoyed a wee flurry of getting back into the gamedness, before...well...you know...more goals for them.

Bloody Alan Combe! 

*goes off muttering about Smith paying before the final. Smith playing after the final. But, naw. We've got to put that bloody crock back in goal for the actual final*

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. 

So again we’re in agreement, the pitch is having a far greater effect on our results than those of our opponents and as such should be binned. 

28 minutes ago, CB said:

For my sins. I recently watched the league cup final, we don't talk about. Gary Locke came on, immediately won a corner, the crowd was flat & he came running over to take it, gritted his teeth & geed up the crowd. He got his response, we scored and enjoyed a wee flurry of getting back into the gamedness, before...well...you know...more goals for them.

Bloody Alan Combe! 

*goes off muttering about Smith paying before the final. Smith playing after the final. But, naw. We've got to put that bloody crock back in goal for the actual final*

So there’s a direct correlation between Gary Locke throwing his hands in the air and Gordon Greer scoring a header? If only it was that easy.