St Johnstone Away 2nd Dec

fmcc

Agree with the comments in the press that the next three games are the real test of where we've come in the 6 weeks since Sir Steve has come in. If we're going to start realising some of the wild hopes/expectations that this new managerial appointment brought then you've got to think that 3 points is required in Perth, a stadium where we've had a decent level of success at in recent seasons. 

I'd go with the same back 'five' as last week cos McDonald, SOD, GG, KB and SF. I would think that Clarke has had a hold of them this week, and I'd expect them to be better on Saturday. 

Power is an easy pick in the middle. Dundee and Aberdeen was the first time I've managed to see him play since his catastrophic start to the season and he looks a new player. 

Not sure I like Greg Taylor or Frizz in the middle, So I'd play GT wide left. Perhaps Dicker and Mulumbu are ready enough to have part of the game each alongside Power. Wide right, Rory had a game to forget against the sheep, but I'd go with him again. The only other option there is probably Dom Thomas, but since his cracking start to the season (albeit against weaker opponents) he seems to have really falling down the pecking order.

I assume Jones is suspended, so I'd maybe let Frizz loose behind Boyd because I dont think Erwin is the answer. Perhaps Brophy behind Boydy, I'm undecided. 

Nothing earth shattering; it would be great to settle some consistency into the first XI and with a few tweaks as above, I reckon we've got the basis of a comfortable SPFL side. 

Saturday was a big disappointment cos I believe we were good enough for a point, and I go to McDiarmid with a degree of positivity (sorry, I've f**ked it haven't I?). This will be the first time I'll get to 3 killie games in a row in a long long time (thanks to Dundee and Perth being essentially home games for me), and I'm enjoying the calmness that Clarke has brought to the side. I think we look more patient, more resilient, more organised. I know the results haven't been amazing, but I think it'll come. 

as with previous away games -- this match will probably be "easier" to plan for and play than our ventures at RP 

In away games we can sit deep and let the opposing team try to play -- our midfielders judged on how they stop opponents - close down attacks etc ....rather than how they fail to dominate possession or create enough chances in home games ---

and then hit teams on the break which we have done really well over past couple of months away from home  --though issue is without Jones we do not have the out n out pace 

We'll miss JJ. Wonder if Samizadeh or Graham is worth a punt in behind any of our three poor strike options.

I'd drop Findlay, put Taylor back at LB, and play a middle four of Power, Dicker, Mulumbu and McKenzie providing all four are fit and able to play.

Alternatiely, keep Findlay at LB and Talyor at LM along with Power Mulumbu and Dicker, with McKenzie in the number 10 role.

Edited by Calummoore86

It’ll be interesting to see what route Clarke goes down here. Give the majority of the same guys a chance to redeem themselves or make wholesale changes to show no one is safe and try for a reaction. 

I think MacDonald, O’Donnell, Power, Boyd will definitely all start. Broadfoot and Greer probably although there’s a case for one or both to be dropped. Fitness and recovery from injury will dictate if Dicker and Mulumbu are included. Thomas seems the obvious choice to replace Jones although Brophy has look bright off the bench isn’t the last two matches. Burke would also be in contention if fit. 

I'd go with;

Macdonald

O'Donnell-Greer-Broadfoot-Findlay

McKenzie-Power-Dicker-Taylor

Thomas

Brophy

In selecting that team I'd be having words with Findlay and McKenzie that they're being dropped if they play anything like the way they played against Aberdeen. In the same way I'd probably look to try to bring on Frizzell and Erwin off the bench in the hope they actually can play their way into the team.

2 hours ago, Calummoore86 said:

We'll miss JJ. Wonder if Samizadeh or Graham is worth a punt in behind any of our three poor strike options.

I'd drop Findlay, put Taylor back at LB, and play a middle four of Power, Dicker, Mulumbu and McKenzie providing all four are fit and able to play.

Alternatiely, keep Findlay at LB and Talyor at LM along with Power Mulumbu and Dicker, with McKenzie in the number 10 role.

I haven't seen too much of Samizadeh but going by what I saw at the development game yesterday, he is nowhere near first team football. Looks no better than Junior level to me. Like Squirrel says, I'd prefer Thomas. He looked good yesterday

Findlay had an absolute mare against aberdeen at full back. Would put Taylor back to LB but he gets targeted for high balls.

If Dicker is able to start he must be in, Power was fine against the Dons aswell. Frizzell and Mckenzie were crap last time out but we're running low on wingers with Jones out. Thomas will probably play.

So could play a 5 at the back wing backs. 

Macdonald

O'donnell Broadfoot Greer Findlay Taylor

----------Power-------------Dicker--------------

-------------------Frizzell-----------------------

------------------Thomas----------------------

------------------Erwin/Brophy/Boyd----------

Give thomas the free role that jones gets, Taylor and O'donnell bomb up and down wings. 

If we need to go for it then take off one of the midfielders and add an additonal striker.

Got a feeling it'll be the same team though with a boot up their arses