AGM

skygod

12 minutes ago, Killiepie said:

Does anyone have any idea what the average legal cost of a football club actually are? It’s always made out we pay over the odds because it was MJ. 

No clue about average legal costs for other football clubs, I'd be surprised if a figure exists really due to the nature of the work and different activities clubs have.

However, in terms of "paying over the odds" to MJ, I'd doubt it. Fees to Related Parties have to be shown to be at arms-length. Basically means the fees need to be representative of the open market, and charged as if no other relationship (other than that of supplier-purchaser) between the club and the provider exists. 

The only query might be in the frequency of work/number of times a firm is used, which would push-up the fee values. However, that's a job for the auditors and their substantive testing. Any deviation from previous years' would likely be explicable as "one-off" items, and further analysis subjective anyway. 

In short, I wouldn't imagine anything untoward has been happening. However, given the circumstances, I'd assume the club would be distancing themselves from J&A Boyd going forward. 

MJ also stated he was doing some work for free or at a greatly reduced rate whilst on the board. That could explain the increase. 

There was no great challenge to any of this on the night. The club are trying to draw a line under what has gone before and move forward. They may still have some contractual obligations to fulfill in this direction before they can look at other legal alternatives.

9 hours ago, jesper said:

Agreed. Although I found it strange that a Director was taking us through the financials, where previously (and really) it should be the the Finance Manager. He knows the finances and the day-to-day, White has only been there a short time. Although, did well tbf. 

TiK did a big presentation either last time or the time before, PowerPoint presentation between two chaps (Jim and someone else iirc). 

And yes, very interesting (and comforting) use of words from SC tonight when he said he wouldn't be leaving us for another Scottish team. When he says things I tend to believe him, unlike the other Clark, so let's hope no English teams come sniffing either! 

Finance Manager no longer at the club.

37 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He was a car crash last year.

Actually, he wasn't even that good.

Who can forget his opening line.......... "I normally do this at Bowling clubs in front of just a few individuals........................(tumble weed)........................."

And it was down hill from there. 

This was the most positive AGM I've attended.  Board seem to be actively seeking to change and improve things.  New director with finance experience reviewing all business activities.  Hopefully business activities like Sports Bar, gym, match day refreshments, shops, links to hotel are all reviewed to maximise income for club and enhance fans' experience.

Decent profit this year (mainly from transfer fees) and small profit predicted for this year.  Along with BB delaying repayment of $600k of his loan means the manager probably has a bit of money for players.

Good to hear we have Elite status for Project Brave and full-time jobs created to support this.  Actively looking for site for indoor training facilities  Our 3G pitch will still be here next season.

It seems we are paying off J&A Boyd (aka MJ) in monthly installments.  Probably not using him as much.

My only slight criticism relates to the organisation of the meeting.  Can the top table not be seated on the stage so we can see directors, auditors and manager?  A brief training session on presentation skills and use of PowerPoint would help.  No point in showing slides the audience cannot read.

All in all a positive night, rounded of with a nice free pint of East Coast IPA.

I’d still like to see an any other business section in the AGM. there was an opportunity to ask questions after the financial part, after Kirsten’s summary and the to the manager. These were all related to what had been talked about though.

No one asked about investment. The only mention of it was TiK and the £100k for a seat on the board.

4 hours ago, Killiepie said:

Does anyone have any idea what the average legal cost of a football club actually are? It’s always made out we pay over the odds because it was MJ. 

It's always been known that we paid much less than we would have paid elsewhere going through MJ. It was one of the few plus points to having him here.

I'd guess the rise in costs is because MJ no longer has a guaranteed client so is charging more in line with what other companies would be charged.

1 hour ago, piffer said:

I’d still like to see an any other business section in the AGM. there was an opportunity to ask questions after the financial part, after Kirsten’s summary and the to the manager. These were all related to what had been talked about though.

No one asked about investment. The only mention of it was TiK and the £100k for a seat on the board.

Cheers mate

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

It's always been known that we paid much less than we would have paid elsewhere going through MJ. It was one of the few plus points to having him here.

I'd guess the rise in costs is because MJ no longer has a guaranteed client so is charging more in line with what other companies would be charged.

I couldn't work out what the increase was, wasn't clear if it was for extra work involved in MJ stepping down as a Director / Secretary or if rate had gone up because he wasn't offering discount due to not being a director. I would assume legal fees will be part of Bill White's review - since last AGM MJ has been paid approx. £240K cash, with another £70K to follow, that's a large outgoing which should reviewed for value.

3 hours ago, Charlies PaPa said:

A friend who is a lawyer with another Ayr Company, (who is certainly no fan of MJ) has stated on numerous occasions that our legal fees seem less than he would have expected.

As much as MJ was a bellend, I'm sure he did give us some free legal advice at times.

29 minutes ago, azertyuiop said:

As much as MJ was a bellend, I'm sure he did give us some free legal advice at times.

7 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Given the issues he continually caused for himself I'm sure it was in his best interests.

Well he did get roughly half a Hotel & half a Football Club for basically feck all. 

41 minutes ago, Dunc. said:

I couldn't work out what the increase was, wasn't clear if it was for extra work involved in MJ stepping down as a Director / Secretary or if rate had gone up because he wasn't offering discount due to not being a director.

The accounts are for the year to 30 May.

MJ resigned on 19  May, not enough time to make any difference in the accounts.

19 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

Did anyone thank Squirrel for his ground breaking return to the Park Suite? Surely a major step forward!!

McLean07 15/16  - Angry about the division among the Kilmarnock support.

McLean07 16/17  - Desperately trying to retain the division among the now unified Kilmarnock support.