Thistle home Fred

C4mmy31

Now that’s exactly what we needed not only a home win but a resounding home win.My boy was almost greeting at least three times as he was so happy seeing the mighty Killie so victorious.Some great performances especially from Power, Mulumbu, Dicker and Brophy for me.Lets not kid ourselves though for a while we were close to conceding more.Partick fluffed a couple of tremendous chances to get back into the game.Weve also been long overdue some decent luck for a long time and at last we got some.A rebound from Boyd for the Brophy goal,an own goal and a penalty in the one game....how often does that happen ? Onwards and upwards with Steve Clarke’s blue army. A fantastic night to be a Killie fan.

Every player looked like they understood their role, and delivered it well.  It's amazing how simple that sounds but has been missing on a consistent basis for years.

Very pleased with Brophy, we could see inside 5-10 mins he was offering something different and was up for it.  So e aspects of his game reminded me of Dargo, causing defence grief and buzzing in and about them.  Shame he doesn't have Dargo's pre injury pace, but looking forward to seeing a lot more of him.

Well done killie!

1 hour ago, Loudoun Killie said:

Boydie superb today, his flick late on to set up JJ was superb! Shame JJ ballooned it!!

Every game there is always a moment with this boy that makes me go "that's why he plays for us", which is a shame. Not sure why he hit that first time, had time for a touch and hit with left foot. Also should have played Boyd in instead of having a go himself which went 10 yards wide. Very frustrating to see so how much he can be but he just isn't there yet.

Thought today was a strange game. The atmosphere was weird and at no point did the stands feel as comfortable as we were on the pitch. 

I think we’ve played better this season but no matter we were streets ahead of Thistle. 

We had a game plan and it worked. Dicker, Mulumbu, Power worked at times but it did leave us vulnerable as Thistle attacked. We were set up for the likes of O'Donnell to attack and he found plenty of space. A few more games and I think we will see the best of this unit 

I had doubts about Brophy but in the last four game either starting or off the bench he’s made an impact. He did really well today.

Boyd is not just scoring today but rediscovering his nuisance factor. You don’t have to win every ball but if you distract the opponent it opens the game up.

Thought Broadfoot played really well. Was good to see him perform at home. He’s been like two different players Home and away this season. 

We rode our luck at time but we made our luck. If you don’t buy a ticket you don’t win the raffle and all that. 

A really strange game at times, Thistle had a lot of possession until we scored the third. We seemed to be going for a high ball over their defence. The difference was Brophy, they couldn't cope with his movement and pace. The difference between Boyd on his own and Boyd with Brophy doing the leg work is like night and day, and Brophy isn't really 100% fit yet. Mulumbu was neat and tidy and wasn't afraid to put some tackles in, but understandably tired after half-time. Burke put in some great crosses and corners and even had time for an argument with Jones who did some good things but wasted some really good chances. The only worry for me is the Greer/Broadfoot combination, both of them lack pace and a couple of times they were caught out by the ball being played behind them. 

Thistle were pretty bad though, decent in midfield with some good possession, poor up front other than the goal, and their defence and goalkeeper made ours look rock solid. 

1 minute ago, Wrangodog said:

A really strange game at times, Thistle had a lot of possession until we scored the third. We seemed to be going for a high ball over their defence. The difference was Brophy, they couldn't cope with his movement and pace. The difference between Boyd on his own and Boyd with Brophy doing the leg work is like night and day, and Brophy isn't really 100% fit yet. Mulumbu was neat and tidy and wasn't afraid to put some tackles in, but understandably tired after half-time. Burke put in some great crosses and corners and even had time for an argument with Jones who did some good things but wasted some really good chances. The only worry for me is the Greer/Broadfoot combination, both of them lack pace and a couple of times they were caught out by the ball being played behind them. 

Thistle were pretty bad though, decent in midfield with some good possession, poor up front other than the goal, and their defence and goalkeeper made ours look rock solid. 

The midfield trio hopefully means Taylor can go back in to his position then maybe drop Gordon or Kirk for Findlay? Not sure what pairing I’d have it’s a tough call.

4 minutes ago, Tigeruppercut said:

The midfield trio hopefully means Taylor can go back in to his position then maybe drop Gordon or Kirk for Findlay? Not sure what pairing I’d have it’s a tough call.

Why drop Greer or Broadfoot? Neither has done anything wrong the last two games. Today was the first time both have done well at home but they are overall IMO the best CB pairing we have. It is about getting the consistency out of them on a regular basis. 

On Jones I thought he was bang average today. He was barely in it first half. Second he flattered to deceive. The flick from Boyd was possibly one of the best in his career. JJ could have taken a touch, done a press up, rounded the keeper and buried it. Only an idiot takes that first time. He showed a bit with pace and tricks he could threaten but left a lot to be desired 

18 minutes ago, piffer said:

Why drop Greer or Broadfoot? Neither has done anything wrong the last two games. Today was the first time both have done well at home but they are overall IMO the best CB pairing we have. It is about getting the consistency out of them on a regular basis. 

On Jones I thought he was bang average today. He was barely in it first half. Second he flattered to deceive. The flick from Boyd was possibly one of the best in his career. JJ could have taken a touch, done a press up, rounded the keeper and buried it. Only an idiot takes that first time. He showed a bit with pace and tricks he could threaten but left a lot to be desired 

good shout his finishing is horrific

29 minutes ago, piffer said:

His better games, and games where he is more involved, is when he is in the middle behind Boyd/striker with freedom to go where he wants. When he is stuck on a wing because we are playing someone on both sides, he rarely gets involved. Being on the same wing as Findlay doesn't help him IMO, he has really good chemistry with Taylor.

Edited by BlueKillie

Regarding JJ today I think it’s a real positive for us that we now don’t need to look to him as our out ball or only threat.

It should work for him long term as players from other teams have to start paying a few guys in our team special attention and not just him.

Edited by BoydsFace

Really enjoyed that yesterday. Brophy and Boyd seem to be forming a nice partnership up front. Brophy was a nuisance all game with his movement and pace. Jones seemed to drift in and out the game but had more of an impact 2nd half and looked dangerous when on the ball, just his end product and final ball were lacking at times again.

Mulumbu looked a class act and will be a hell of player for us when fully up to speed. Great seeing him in there along with Dicker and Power.

We did lack width in the formation we played which Partick tried to exploit. For all their nice football and passing I don’t recall them forcing too many saves out of Jamie Mac. 

Burke made a difference when he came on. I like when he told JJ to do one when Jones tried taking a quick corner, saying we were 4-1 up and there as no rush to kill a few more seconds.

9 hours ago, piffer said:

Thought today was a strange game. The atmosphere was weird and at no point did the stands feel as comfortable as we were on the pitch. 

I think we’ve played better this season but no matter we were streets ahead of Thistle. 

We had a game plan and it worked. Dicker, Mulumbu, Power worked at times but it did leave us vulnerable as Thistle attacked. We were set up for the likes of O'Donnell to attack and he found plenty of space. A few more games and I think we will see the best of this unit 

I had doubts about Brophy but in the last four game either starting or off the bench he’s made an impact. He did really well today.

Boyd is not just scoring today but rediscovering his nuisance factor. You don’t have to win every ball but if you distract the opponent it opens the game up.

Thought Broadfoot played really well. Was good to see him perform at home. He’s been like two different players Home and away this season. 

We rode our luck at time but we made our luck. If you don’t buy a ticket you don’t win the raffle and all that. 

Spot on. Atmosphere was weird. It was almost disbelief that we were actually cruising to a home win. 

Thought we were really good though. Dicker, Power and Mulumbu is some turn around from our midfield 2 months ago. 3 experienced pros who want to win. Power is doing the job he was brought in to do. I had totally written him off so he deserves huge credit. 

Brophy deserved his goals for his work rate, Boyd won a lot in the air and caused problems. I was a little disappointed with Jones. I think he's great but didn't have the best of games. Took the wrong option more often than not. 

Anyway 4 points from our next two matches and we are showing some very good form. Would still like to see a quicker centre half and another striker brought in but the job Clarke is doing has to be commended. Genuinely feels like the good times are back. 

Strange game in that the first 4 of the 6 goals in the game had a touch of fortune about them. At 2-1 Thistle looked well in it and we weren't keeping the ball well until the o.g. and we finally started cruising it. I actually thought we performed better when we won 2-0 at Firhill. Never the less, it's a much needed home win and some good performances notably Power, Boyd and MOTM Brophy. Time we started believing in ourselves at home and taking the game to our opponents more regularly, happy days.

8 hours ago, BlueKillie said:

His better games, and games where he is more involved, is when he is in the middle behind Boyd/striker with freedom to go where he wants. When he is stuck on a wing because we are playing someone on both sides, he rarely gets involved. Being on the same wing as Findlay doesn't help him IMO, he has really good chemistry with Taylor.

He started out in the free role yesterday and was then moved out to the wing. I think he will find himself there more often not as it looks like we have a solid midfield unit in Power, Dicker and Mulumbu. They dominated the middle of the park where in recent games with Thistle at RP they simply passed around us in there. Mulumbu's control and vision were excellent. He will be a great signing for us. 

Jones's performance yesterday shows why some of the transfer fees being mentioned on here are way over the top. The two wrong decisions highlighted above were criminal for a player with his experience. He has a lot to learn yet but certainly has a manager who can help him fulfil his potential. 

Edited by historyman