Penalty

KillieBison

Thought Boyd was wrong to take the penalty but looking back probably correct. We don’t just want one striker buzzing with confidence after all. 

Not often looked at but go with me on this. Brophy hits his hat trick and is buzzing that’s great all round. What if he misses though? How far does that put him back. As it stands we’ve got a player who has hit the double and maybe feels wronged so hopefully the hunger is intensified 

If, in the middle of my Championship Manager 01/02 save game, my number 2 penalty kick taker took the ball off my number 1 penalty kick taker I would be furious. I would severely warn him as the game allows and drop him for the next game.  As per my extensive experience Brophy is lucky Boyd disposed him of the ball.

9 hours ago, piffer said:

Thought Boyd was wrong to take the penalty but looking back probably correct. We don’t just want one striker buzzing with confidence after all. 

Not often looked at but go with me on this. Brophy hits his hat trick and is buzzing that’s great all round. What if he misses though? How far does that put him back. As it stands we’ve got a player who has hit the double and maybe feels wronged so hopefully the hunger is intensified 

Pretty much exactly how I feel about it too... Have two of them on a high, and keep Brophy hungry! 

15 hours ago, Killiesince69 said:

I thought the booing was of the pantomime villain variety, bit of humour towards the end of a game already wrapped up

Agreed. I thought it was a bit of festive fun. 

We were 4-1 up with a penalty to take. It's not as if we're booing the players because of their performance

1 hour ago, Mogwai said:

Agreed. I thought it was a bit of festive fun. 

We were 4-1 up with a penalty to take. It's not as if we're booing the players because of their performance

I wish someone would tell this to some of the old boys in the West/FB stand...

Even at 4-1 yesterday some of the players were getting a helluva time, it's difficult to listen to at times. Even when we were passing the ball about they were moaning and singling-out players for some choice beratings. Does make you wonder what they need to do in some fans' eyes! 

2 hours ago, jesper said:

I wish someone would tell this to some of the old boys in the West/FB stand...

Even at 4-1 yesterday some of the players were getting a helluva time, it's difficult to listen to at times. Even when we were passing the ball about they were moaning and singling-out players for some choice beratings. Does make you wonder what they need to do in some fans' eyes! 

Three passages of play summed this kind of thing up for me yesterday. 

1) We were attacking down the right, ran out of options, the ball went back to the defence, we kept possession and kept the pressure on Partick. "Tippy tappy crap" was the comment from a couple of old boys near me.

2) Broadfoot or Greer lumped the ball foward. A nothing ball straight back to the Thistle keeper. No reaction.

3) Seconds after that, we got the ball back. "Get it forward!" "Lump it!" 

Was football in the 60's basically just both teams launching it forward?

Edited by Mogwai

Only sure thing about all of this is that Boyd/Brophy were not fighting over the penalty for the massive scorers fee! At Liverpool the players get £50k a goal, £25k an assist and £25k a clean sheet - if that was our payments it would not just be Boyd/Brophy battling for the penalty!

2 hours ago, IMO said:

Only sure thing about all of this is that Boyd/Brophy were not fighting over the penalty for the massive scorers fee! At Liverpool the players get £50k a goal, £25k an assist and £25k a clean sheet - if that was our payments it would not just be Boyd/Brophy battling for the penalty!

Are you sure about those figures?

Pepe Reina didn't get anything for a clean sheet there. At the top level, goal bonuses and specifically assist bonuses are rare. I'm not sure I know of any assist bonuses for players. I'm sure there will be some but they definitely aren't as common as football manager would like you to believe.

19 hours ago, azertyuiop said:

Are you sure about those figures?

Pepe Reina didn't get anything for a clean sheet there. At the top level, goal bonuses and specifically assist bonuses are rare. I'm not sure I know of any assist bonuses for players. I'm sure there will be some but they definitely aren't as common as football manager would like you to believe.

Anecdotal based on an article about Firminho and how a chopped off goal had cost him €65000. Pal is related to Andy Robertson and he effectively confirmed that contracts work like that but vary by player - certainly an incentive.