Motherwell Match

C4mmy31

Steve Clarke wants his Kilmarnock players to be proactive rather than reactive when they take on Motherwell at Rugby Park.

Killie return to familiar territory after the 2-2 midweek draw with Ross County in Dingwall but with memories fresh of our first home win of the campaign against Partick Thistle.

The Killie boss is looking to build on last Saturday's triumph as well as the second half performance in the Highlands.

He said: "I thought we approached the game a bit casually on Tuesday night so we have to get back on the front foot. We have to be aggressive in the press, get the ball forward and look a threat like we did in the home game against Partick Thistle.

"If we can get that level of performance again then we look forward to a good game against a tough Motherwell team."

Gordon Greer and Stuart Findlay are rated as extremely doubtful after being forced off with injuries against County with Scott Boyd and Greg Taylor coming in.

Clarke was impressed with Boyd's first league appearance of the season while he was also pleased with Taylor's contribution at left back.

He added: "Scott did well, it shows the value of having a squad that is fit and ready to take their opportunity when it comes.

"I always say to the squad players who aren’t involved week in, week out that they have to be ready for their chance.
Scott came off the bench and did well as did Greg Taylor. The team improved in the second half so both of them did themselves a lot of good."

Going into any game with confidence as a Killie fan is risky. They've had a few poor results, losing to Hearts and Partick, which in previous seasons would be a worry as we love gifting points to struggling teams. We've got a bit of momentum going, hopefully we can start the game strongly and get a positive result. 

4 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

Attending with my wee granddaughter for the festive deal. Great value if you're not a season ticket holder, not so good if you are. Anyway it's a gift and my season will go to good use. I'll wave to you all from the posh seats and help boost MJs pension at the same time. 

100 of is will wave to you from park s**te at County cup game.....well it might not be a wave......

For the 1st time in years I'm now confident going in to games, you can tell by the way Clarke conducts himself that not competing/not starting games well etc. simply wont do, I'll be surprised if we dont start well on Saturday after Ross Co 1st half.

No old pals act like our previous array of managers, if they are not performing they'll be dropped or away.

Think we will go same as, with Taylor & Boyd in for injured Greer & Findlay which I think we can deal with. Also need Jones to have a good game, flattered to deceive the last few home games.

54 minutes ago, Estragon said:

I hate to give a young player a hard time, but I'm really struggling to see the attraction with Findlay. Even against a poor Thistle side he seemed to contrive to make things difficult for himself - can't help but feel Taylor is an improvement. 

You have to remember that Findlay is a Centre half, not a left back. He's being played out of position for his height. When he came in he was composed and won a lot of challenges 1 on 1. When he's running side ways with wingers he can't adjust quick enough.

4 minutes ago, PrestersKtid said:

You have to remember that Findlay is a Centre half, not a left back. He's being played out of position for his height. When he came in he was composed and won a lot of challenges 1 on 1. When he's running side ways with wingers he can't adjust quick enough.

Good point. Although even at centre half I'm not totally sold on his positional awareness. Hoping to be proven wrong. 

27 minutes ago, PrestersKtid said:

Agreed. However whether you play left back, right back, central defence or midfield you should still be able to pass a ball ten yards or be able to man mark. The fact he can't defend cross balls or stay touch tight has nothing to do with him moving 15 yards across a park.

As I've said before, Broadfoot and Greer have lost us far less goals than Findlay but he's managed to avoid much criticism. This is a guy who played at youth level with Celtic and is now at Newcastle... he's had the best coaching Scotland has had to offer and his game has not improved under Clarke unlike players like Brophy.

Does he deserve to be playing in front of one of our own young players and a natural full back? Not in my eyes!