The Attainment Gap ---- Just incompetence or do they really not give a stuff?

gdevoy

1 hour ago, Sandman396 said:

Schrodingers Cybernat - Both smart enough to troll effectively and stupid enough to believe in the SNP.

Aye cos if I was really bright, I'd be on here posting about how we should succumb to the widespread Stockholm Syndrome that gripped Scotland for the 300 years before the internet arrived.

Schrodinger's Cat does explain the UK position on Ireland, the EU and Brexit!  Just a pity Brexit's similarities to Austrian ideology from the 1930's don't end there..

19 hours ago, RAG said:

Aye cos if I was really bright, I'd be on here posting about how we should succumb to the widespread Stockholm Syndrome that gripped Scotland for the 300 years before the internet arrived.

Schrodinger's Cat does explain the UK position on Ireland, the EU and Brexit!  Just a pity Brexit's similarities to Austrian ideology from the 1930's don't end there..

Chill.

I was joking.

By the way I think Brexit is a pig in a poke but this is where the planet seems to be heading at the moment. Just look at Trump in the US for further proof.

7 minutes ago, Sandman396 said:

By the way I think Brexit is a pig in a poke but this is where the planet seems to be heading at the moment. Just look at Trump in the US for further proof.

I find that those who think leaving the EU is a good idea seem to be motivated by doctrine rather than any kind of critical thinking. If you seek any kind of rational for any +ve impact of the proposed move you just get a load of personal abuse, heated vitriol about democracy and death threats. 

But, as you say, "we've had enough of experts" seems to be the way of the world.

25 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

I find that those who think leaving the EU is a good idea seem to be motivated by doctrine rather than any kind of critical thinking. If you seek any kind of rational for any +ve impact of the proposed move you just get a load of personal abuse, heated vitriol about democracy and death threats. 

But, as you say, "we've had enough of experts" seems to be the way of the world.

I agree.

The "hero" of Question Time last week started his rant by claiming "elite politicians" and "traitors" in his first few sentences.

Hardly the language of reasoned discourse and critical analysis of data.

To hear the Brexiteers talk you would think that the UK had voted unanimously for Leave rather than the reality of 17million out of 70million.

It has been said that "elections are decided by those who show up" but I don't think that should be the case for referendum. I said this before the Indy Ref and still say it today.

To my mind it should require 50.1% of voters to change the fabric of society to this degree.

The UK population is currently around 65.5. The electorate is 46.5million.

The UK is being taken down the Brexit road on the back of 17.4million votes.

That is either 26.5% or 37.6% voting for it.

To say it is the settled will (I know I am stealing this from the IndyRef but it is the tone presented by Brexiteers) of the people and should be respected is utter BS.

The IndyRef of 2014 did not settle anything due to it being so close so why is the Brexit vote any different?

I am happy enough to go with a percentage of those who took the trouble to vote and for a UK election where there will be another one along in 4 or 5 years time then I think we can live with 51% . However for something as fundamental and irreversible as separating Scotland from the rest of the UK or cutting the UK's trading links with the rest of Europe I think you need an overwhelming majority in favour. Over 75%, probably over 90%. To get 51% in favour of something this important then scream death threats at people who question the mandate for complete and absolute isolationism is just nuts and it will end in tears at some point I fear.

As with indyref, when it is no longer possible to obfuscate the practicalities and inconsistencies of what is being proposed, I fear there may be some unpleasant times ahead.

Call it democracy if you want but I blame the moron who enabled the vote thinking he could get a remain result for his own political advancement, them did a runner when it went south. Those in authority should exercise wisdom rather than self interest. During one Kirk Session meeting I attended somebody wanted to have "a vote" on church leaders in same sex relationships but the minister would not allow said vote to take place. Even although he would have been pretty certain of getting a result that favoured his own position he knew that such a vote would have opened up wounds that would possibly never heal and maintaining unity was his job rather than getting his own way.   

Edited by gdevoy

3 hours ago, Sandman396 said:

Chill.

I was joking.

Thats fine man - I wasn't being entirely serious either!

It's social media thats the problem - obviously!  Here's the chap that invented facebook explaining.

"It's a social-validation feedback loop ... exactly the kind of thing that a hacker like myself would come up with, because you're exploiting a vulnerability in human psychology."

https://www.axios.com/sean-parker-unloads-on-facebook-2508036343.html

Edited by RAG