Super Ally Mitchell

Souleycouley93

Was in Parkers the night we drew 0-0 with Rangers in the Cup semi at Hampden. Ally came in with Bobby Geddes..(both were on the dance floor :)) Had a good chat with him about the game and hopes for the replay. Absolute gent and cracking player. 

Will never forget his goal at Ibrox and our end after it...scenes! Incredible to think that was nearly 20 years ago.

Edited by Jedi2

2 hours ago, Bmcp said:

When you said you had never seen us out of premier league , i instantly felt auld as f**k. My child hood was spent dreaming of us getting back to the “ big league”

I know mate . 24 now but interested in that time with a big following and playing in lower league visiting grounds I have never thankfully yet sadly been able to visit . Heard a lot from dad and papa etc about those times . Since 97 I have attended so this was just before my time . Tommy Burns always fascinated me and the time of Fleeting and our promotion . Remember the sadness of my dad and all killie fans at time of Tommy’s death . Made me aware of how fantastic a man and how big a influence he was on our club.

1 hour ago, Killie1984 said:

Remember what you said about him losing the ball, then chasing miles to win it back.

He almost scored direct from a corner. Dundee Utd subbed off Paul Gallacher who had been called up to the national team. The dodgy looking replacement flapped at the corner and only just kept it out!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/1980737.stm

Turns out Mitchell, who was captain for the day, actually scored in this game from a Stevie Mirray cross.

Innes scored from a Mitchell corner, possibly the one I remember. Paul Jarvie was the nervy looking goalie.

6 hours ago, Pelesboots said:

Alan Logan?  the guy that played for St Mirren?

I always hated when played Meadowbank - they were as boring as hell but we often found them hard to beat.  (The 8-1 game excepted, which I didn't go through to)

The Meadowbank player was Steve Logan. The first time I went there, I think it was the week after Eddie Morrison left as manager and Walter McCrae was in charge- we got hammered 4-0 ! I never saw Darren Jackson playing for them but I remember Logan, and later Ian Little was a good player and of course Victor Kasule, still the coolest guy to ever play in Scottish football in my opinion. They very nearly got promoted to the premier league one season.

Shared the lift with him (going down for breakfast) in a Belfast hotel. Knew I knew the face but couldn't place him as he was in civvies.
Luckily met him again outside as we waited for taxis. Ally was on an explosives (quarrying) course, I on much more boring safe systems of work (permits) course.
Introduced him to my big h*n colleague who said to him, 'you broke my heart that day at ibrox'. Ally winked, smiled and shook his hand.
Happy days :)

I recall a great Mitchell story from a Celtic fan. He got of flight and got into taxi frightened to ask the result as Rankers went for 10 in a row.The poor guys heart sank as the interviewer asked "Ally that must be one of the most important goals you have ever scored?" . Of course Ally then replied and my mate thought thats not McCoist and only then did he realise it was "our" Ally who had scored the winner.

I also remember a game when McCoist and Mitchell were warming up during a game and the fans chanted "theres only one super ally" meaning Mitchell!