Referees

Nobody

At the moment we have a particularly bad cabal of really weasely, snidey, arrogant referees who do the media-friendly, SFA/SPFL/ Lawell/ King-pleasing thing every time they get the chance. The list is too long to mention.

There are only really two or three of the current crop that strike me as genuinely incompetent though, those being Andrew son of Dallas/ spawn of satan, Nick "Louis" Walsh and good old Willie Collum. It's no surprise that the first two of those three are the SFA's great rising stars.

But remember when some of the long-standing refs were just completely, hopelessly incompetent?

Step forward Mr Andrew Waddell:

13 minutes ago, david mcbeth said:

At the moment we have a particularly bad cabal of really weasely, snidey, arrogant referees who do the media-friendly, SFA/SPFL/ Lawell/ King-pleasing thing every time they get the chance. The list is too long to mention.

There are only really two or three of the current crop that strike me as genuinely incompetent though, those being Andrew son of Dallas/ spawn of satan, Nick "Louis" Walsh and good old Willie Collum. It's no surprise that the first two of those three are the SFA's great rising stars.

But remember when some of the long-standing refs were just completely, hopelessly incompetent?

Step forward Mr Andrew Waddell:

Here. I'll no hear a bad word against friend of the show, oor Wullie...

celtics-anthony-stokes-is-controversiall

2 hours ago, david mcbeth said:

There are only really two or three of the current crop that strike me as genuinely incompetent though, those being Andrew son of Dallas/ spawn of satan, Nick "Louis" Walsh and good old Willie Collum.

Seriously?

What about our friend Steven McLean, Craig Charleston, Greg Aitken, Alan Muir (did you see his performance at Ibrox recently?), John McKendrick and the worst ever Steven Finnie?

Every one of them is equally as bad as the 3 you mention, if not worse. 

Just when I think that one of them has it in for us you see them making a complete horlocks of another game and you realise that they are just incompetent, step forward Mr.Mclean. 

Of all the most shocking displays by a Scottish whistler Craig Thomson's allowing of a goal against Malaga in the champions league semi a few years back when the player putting the ball in the net was standing on the goal line ranks as one of the worst, I am sure that they remember this fondly in Malaga and i always invite him to holiday there when he appears at Rugby Park. 

(Oliver was clearly offside, his fault as he hadn't taken the time to cut his fringe that day). 

On 15/12/2017 at 12:07 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

McKendrick is a prick!

Always find it interesting that McKendrick's brother agrees that he IS a prick.Despite being an Ayr fan his bro is a cool guy and has his brother down to a tee!

Thought that Huns could have had two red cards today.Taverniers second tackle certainly deserved a second yellow and elton john shudda been booked for his celebrations after his goal and his second yellow would have meant a red.

In conclusion our refs are both dicks and not very good with Mckendrick being a perfect example of both.   

Compared to some of the roasters currently in black, I thought Willie was OK yesterday, as was Bobby Madden a few weeks ago. Perhaps clouded by the fact that we played as well in both games, so maybe more amenable to the odd mistakes.

As for the main decisions yesterday, I may be living in the past but I don't really want to see players sent off for two fouls - bad tackles, yes, but not regular fouls. If he'd dealt with Tavernier the other way round (warning for first, then yellow for second) would there be an issue? Probably creating a rod for his own back with the first decision

And I know going into the crowd is an automatic yellow these days, but where's the harm in it, provided you're celebrating with your own fans? One of the funniest things I've seen at RP is Dylan Kerr's impression of Pat Cash at Wimbledon climbing up the rows of seats when scoring against them

7 hours ago, Trumpetree said:

As for the main decisions yesterday, I may be living in the past but I don't really want to see players sent off for two fouls - bad tackles, yes, but not regular fouls. If he'd dealt with Tavernier the other way round (warning for first, then yellow for second) would there be an issue? Probably creating a rod for his own back with the first decision

And I know going into the crowd is an automatic yellow these days, but where's the harm in it, provided you're celebrating with your own fans? One of the funniest things I've seen at RP is Dylan Kerr's impression of Pat Cash at Wimbledon climbing up the rows of seats when scoring against them

While I agree with your sentiments on booking too quickly and being booked for celebrating, the main issue I have is that referees are so inconsistent. Why are some players booked and others not for similar offences?  Is it because yesterday Collum didn't want to be in the position of sending off another Rangers player?

It is the inconsistency of referees that drives supporters mad.  Look at last week's game against Motherwell - McHugh fouled repeatedly and was eventually booked only after about his 6th foul, Dunne was only spoken to by the referee after a bad challenge, yet Broadfoot was booked for his first dubious challenge.

Referees bring so much of supporters angst and anger upon themselves because they are so inconsistent. Consistency is all we ask for, which is actually should not really be too difficult to achieve. 

Edited by Pelesboots

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the juniors at Kilwinning yesterday. No matter how bad you think officials at our level are those guys were a different breed. Not content with being incompetent the guy was a complete knobend as well. Sent off a Kilwinning player on 10minutes which killed the game for a long period. The general consensus from people who attend that level regularly was he will level it up. Sure enough first chance he got a straight red was issued and Glenafton down to ten as well. 

Some of these guys have ambitions to go to a higher level. It’s scary to think they could one day be in charge of the show piece games in our country

1 hour ago, piffer said:

Went to the juniors at Kilwinning yesterday. No matter how bad you think officials at our level are those guys were a different breed. Not content with being incompetent the guy was a complete knobend as well. Sent off a Kilwinning player on 10minutes which killed the game for a long period. The general consensus from people who attend that level regularly was he will level it up. Sure enough first chance he got a straight red was issued and Glenafton down to ten as well. 

Some of these guys have ambitions to go to a higher level. It’s scary to think they could one day be in charge of the show piece games in our country

I watched a junior game up north yesterday and the arrogance was ridiculous. He gave 3 penalties and when the assistant manager asked what’s the 3rd one for he sent him away from the pitch. Absolute clowns.

they don’t seem to use any common sense nor seem approachable.

I forgot to mention two members of the Buffs coaching staff were sent off as well. There also seemed to be a bit of confusion as to whether it was more or not. 

Have to agree about the arrogance. It does seem to be a problem amongst some of our younger officials. The likes of Dallas and McLean are oozing it and you see it in the younger guys at Development level and in the juniors. They’d probably get cut a lot more slack for bad games if they weren’t arseholes

20 minutes ago, piffer said:

I forgot to mention two members of the Buffs coaching staff were sent off as well. There also seemed to be a bit of confusion as to whether it was more or not. 

Have to agree about the arrogance. It does seem to be a problem amongst some of our younger officials. The likes of Dallas and McLean are oozing it and you see it in the younger guys at Development level and in the juniors. They’d probably get cut a lot more slack for bad games if they weren’t arseholes

Agreed.

If players are giving them dogs abuse then cards are justified but no excuse for arrogance. 

Would love refs to have to explain their decisions. Given money they are on it’s not as if they should be unanswerable to

But they are not unanswerable - all top games have someone watching their performance. So good and bad performances are reported on. We just don't get to read/hear about the verdicts.

Getting them to explain their decisions to someone with blue and white tinted specks on is hardly likely to do much good and could be downright dangerous among more volatile supports.

21 minutes ago, david mcbeth said:

OK - they are answerable, but in private to someone(s) who are part of the same corrupt cabal.

The "review" will go something like this:

1. Did the issue cause an unfair advantage or some other benefit to SevCo? If YES, promote the referee, if no, go to Q2

2. DId the issue cause detriment to SevCo. If YES, sack the referee, if no, go to Q3

3. Did the issue cause an unfair advantage or some other benefit to Sellick? If YES, warn the referee in private, if no, go to Q4;

4. DId the issue cause detriment to Sellick. If YES, praise the referee in private, if no, it must be something to do with a diddy team so there is no case to answer.

f**k me you should be going to iPox every week with that pile o s**te.  Both corrupt sides of the OF benefit from blatantly wrong decisions every week.  It’s not some kind of orange conspiracy ffs,

I believe that our referees are not very good but with the exception of a very small minority, they try to be fair.

Yes Ceptic and *anger* tend to get more dodgy decisions but that's more down to the collective roar of 10s of thousands of fans encouraging a reflex reaction response than deliberate bias IMHO.

Where they continually let themselves down is the way they continually treat higher profile players with leniency while punishing Joe Bloggs and this, again only my opinion, is due to media pressure.

Our refs are crap and a lot of that is down to the nature of their personalities.
When asked why they became refs the general answer is - I love football but I wasn't good enough to play at a high level so I became a referee.
Really? Everyone I know loves football and wasn't good enough to play at a high level but none of them would ever have considered becoming a referee.
You need to be a certain type of person to think that is 'participating' in the game and because you are that type of person you want to get involved even more - hence them becoming the centre of attention and being the main talking point as they ruin games for spectators.
For what it's worth I think Dallas is the worst of a very bad lot - a lying, conniving, duplicitous toerag. He will go far.

On 24/12/2017 at 8:47 PM, Fankle said:

What a howler that was! To be fair he was on Off The Ball years later and admitted it was the worst mistake of his career. 

He admitted it at least twice on Off The Ball.  

Still remember the day he got hit in the 'baws' at Fir Park.  Hilarious as he fell to the ground in stages that day.   Think it was the season we got promoted with Motherwell. 

Edited by Pelesboots