Jamie Macdonald

Ktid1869

3 minutes ago, Darryl1869 said:

Was he a poor keeper when he was our best player for two seasons and basically kept us out the automatic relegation place? 

Did he really? Has it ever crossed your mind, we might not have finished as far down the table in the first place, with a better keeper in place?

Edited by Zorro

14 minutes ago, Bbk said:

To infinity and beyond!

I love your persistence @Bbk. Told us innumerable times you’re finished discussing this, admitted more times than I can imagine that you know nothing about goalkeeping, but you’re still here screaming from the rooftops that Jamie is god. Well played fella. 

1 minute ago, jam1869 said:

Is Macdonald a decent keeper? Yes.

Could we get better? Probably.

A goalie that is decent shot stopper and commands his area, isn't that hard to find.

I think it probably is hard to get a shot stopper and a goalie decent at crosses.  Last time we had Bell we had Jakkola who was a giant keeper.

Both our goalies are shot stoppers, 183 and 185cm tall, so neither are gonna be "commanding" at cross balls - they're no big enough.

I feel for McDonald today though,nothing worse than being a former Jambo that chucked the ball into the net at Easter Road - he'll no forget yesterday in a hurry!

1 hour ago, RAG said:

I think it probably is hard to get a shot stopper and a goalie decent at crosses.  Last time we had Bell we had Jakkola who was a giant keeper.

Both our goalies are shot stoppers, 183 and 185cm tall, so neither are gonna be "commanding" at cross balls - they're no big enough.

I feel for McDonald today though,nothing worse than being a former Jambo that chucked the ball into the net at Easter Road - he'll no forget yesterday in a hurry!

While being tall may be an advantage, surely being able to stretch your arms, gives the keeper the advantage regardless of height? 

11 minutes ago, jam1869 said:

While being tall may be an advantage, surely being able to stretch your arms, gives the keeper the advantage regardless of height? 

Not as much as you would think. The goalie can’t use his arms to help jump like the attacker as he needs to keep them above his head. The attacker will also normally have a bit of a run.

Don't understand the Cammy Bell situation.

One development team match in four months is hardly preparation for first team.

Never thought there was much between the two keepers and you have to cut the man in possession some slack. As has been said all players have faults and make mistakes and GK's are most prominent.

I think Jamie has had his slack and another bad mistake and it might be time for a change.

That said you wouldn't expect SC to say that publicly and as I pointed out at the start Bell's preparation hasn't been ideal.

2 hours ago, Zorro said:

I love your persistence @Bbk. Told us innumerable times you’re finished discussing this, admitted more times than I can imagine that you know nothing about goalkeeping, but you’re still here screaming from the rooftops that Jamie is god. Well played fella. 

I know I'm actually quite disappointed  in myself for being sucked back into this debate but I don't think he is god and I also don't agree with your comments that he is incompetent or as you also said a liability.I have conceded many times that I respect your opinion and accept it is sometimes not the same as mine can you say the same about myself and other posters who also disagree with you. I have also said that I trust Steve Clarke's judgement in this player issue and whatever he decides to do in the future will meet with my full approval and support can you? Let's hope the new year will bring a greater understanding and respect for all of us on this forum that what we say is purely our opinion and that is what the true basis of a discussion forum should be .Once again can I wish you a very happy new year!

1 hour ago, jam1869 said:

Wingspan.   Important in a goalie.  There's a lad at Aberdeen reserves I like the look of.

DCD2W-GWsAAiAAT.jpg.0962b59119ae8739cb672807b8708572.jpg

Bear in mind we were lucky to win v Motherwell at Rugby Park.....and if it hadnt been for Jamies' 3 world class stops we would be three points less than now.....so it was a howler at Easter Rd but he has kept us in many a match over the last couple of seasons and played a significant role in keeping us up last season and where we now are this season. During the Lee Clark and LMcC eras there is no blame that could be attached to goalkeeping as to where we were at then.

24 minutes ago, Darryl1869 said:

But remember, we all know nothing about football and Zorro does! He should be the only one who can post, we will merely listen! 

Agreed. Sorry @Robert, but until Zorro endorses the credentials of Archie Mair I'll not be satisfied. 

Wouldn't require much creative headline writing from newspaper's if young Archie has a bad game for us though... 

Edited by Bullitt

A goalkeeper makes a mistake, he gets crucified. An outfield player makes a mistake, nothing said. If there is going to be so much analysis on our goalkeeper then surely there should be the same amount of analysis on the rest of our team. If they get the same treatment as Jamie, we'll be looking for an entirely new team this month. The WHOLE team are performing well just now and we are enjoying the ride. I'll trust SC on his choice of goalkeeper and stand by the player chosen as his number 1. 

21 hours ago, Bbk said:

I know I'm actually quite disappointed  in myself for being sucked back into this debate but I don't think he is god and I also don't agree with your comments that he is incompetent or as you also said a liability.I have conceded many times that I respect your opinion and accept it is sometimes not the same as mine can you say the same about myself and other posters who also disagree with you. I have also said that I trust Steve Clarke's judgement in this player issue and whatever he decides to do in the future will meet with my full approval and support can you? Let's hope the new year will bring a greater understanding and respect for all of us on this forum that what we say is purely our opinion and that is what the true basis of a discussion forum should be .Once again can I wish you a very happy new year!

Happy new year buddy. 

17 hours ago, gordonp said:

Bear in mind we were lucky to win v Motherwell at Rugby Park.....and if it hadnt been for Jamies' 3 world class stops we would be three points less than now.....so it was a howler at Easter Rd but he has kept us in many a match over the last couple of seasons and played a significant role in keeping us up last season and where we now are this season. During the Lee Clark and LMcC eras there is no blame that could be attached to goalkeeping as to where we were at then.

There wasn’t a save in the Motherwell game that wouldn’t have been saved by every other keeper in the league. If you want to see what a world class save looks like, try Craig Gordon’s in the old firm game. To think some people on here think MacDonald is a better keeper xD

4 minutes ago, Zorro said:

There wasn’t a save in the Motherwell game that wouldn’t have been saved by every other keeper in the league. If you want to see what a world class save looks like, try Craig Gordon’s in the old firm game. To think some people on here think MacDonald is a better keeper xD

Craig Gordon is horrific. You are correct he made several worldly saves against Rangers... However you've excluded the high profile blunders he's made this season alone. A quick browse of a Celtic forum or indeed asking any sensible Celtic fan and they'll tell you he needs replaced as does Lustig and their central defenders.

Gordon is FINNISH