Steady on, Shug!

skygod

Former Kilmarnock defender Hugh Burns reckons director Billy Bowie should be KNIGHTED after convincing Steve Clarke to join the club.

Burns, who played for Killie between 1991 and 1993, has been impressed by the impact made by Clarke since he came to Rugby Park.

The Killie boss has picked up 16 points from 10 games, with the latest victory coming against Motherwell on Saturday.

Clarke takes his side into this weekend’s meeting with Rangers looking to bag three wins on the bounce at home for the first time in three years.

And former Killie man Burns said: “Kilmarnock are absolutely flying at the moment.

“Billy Bowie deserves a knighthood for bringing Steve Clarke to Kilmarnock and for whatever he said to convince him.

“He has coached in the English Premier League with some of the best in the world and has done a brilliant job down there.

GP33584335.jpg
Hugh Burns

“There will be a lot of bigger clubs – and no disrespect to Kilmarnock – who will be wondering why they didn’t go for Steve Clarke.

“Everyone in the game speaks very highly of him.”

Burns also spent a four-year spell with Saturday’s opponents and will commentate on the match for Rangers TV.

And he admits he’s struggling to pick a winner for the big match.

He added: “The pressure seems to be off for Rangers when they go away from home. It makes a difference to the team when they don’t have 50,000 fans screaming at them if things aren’t going well.

“It’s 50/50 for me on Saturday. Rangers will come down expecting to win because of the large travelling support but Kilmarnock are the form team in the league at the moment.

“It’ll be a fantastic atmosphere with all the fans in the stadium and the fact it’s the festive season.

“It’ll be a good game – I’m sure it’ll be a feisty encounter.”

(Record)

I can't speak for the red carders but maybe they feel that his business dealings and marital disputes aren't appropriate matters for this forum. Or maybe they see them as potentially defamatory statements.

I started the thread only as a bit of fun because he suggested BB should be knighted. It wasn't even really relevant that it was Hugh Burns, who was a bit-part player for us.

I don't see it as another Clarke "should have gone elsewhere thread" because he doesn't even say that.

Edited by skygod

3 hours ago, skygod said:

I can't speak for the red carders but maybe they feel that his business dealings and marital disputes aren't appropriate matters for this forum. Or maybe they see them as potentially defamatory statements.

I started the thread only as a bit of fun because he suggested BB should be knighted. It wasn't even really relevant that it was Hugh Burns, who was a bit-part player for us.

I don't see it as another Clarke "should have gone elsewhere thread" because he doesn't even say that.

Imagine a thread going off piste on a football forum ;)