"Angus" the sheep??

Bhamkillieken

There was a small number of different sheep around the ground between the 1950s and mid- 60s. Angus was one, Wilma was another. 

They grazed in the areas behind the goals and possibly ate fag-ends on the terracing. Not sure about them being paraded around the pitch - I can only remember them grazing freely. 

Here is a photograph of the Brazil team training at RP before their 1966 friendly at Hampden with a sheep (and possibly CBFC!) in the foreground. 

CZwzIM3WQAAhwLW.png

And here's a gratuitous photo of Pele on the once-sacred turf.

Image result for pele brazil rugby park kilmarnock

Edited by skygod

In the 125 video (in the on this day topic, posted on the 25th) Gordon Smith talks about the players having a dring in Angus' howff. Not realising that Angus was the groundsman & not the sheep.

During the credits, I think, Ally Hunter talks about Wilma. The 'lovely wee sheep'

As a goalkeeper, Sandy McLaughlin hated Angus.  Diving around in sheep-turds was not in his job description. Personally, I thought it was a fine ecological solution to the weed-infested railway sleepers where it was impossible to put a mower or a strimmer. Can't recall the sheep being paraded before games, though. I think the ball-boys had the job of rounding him up and putting him in a shed for the duration of the game.

Was only paraded round on rare occasions. Can remember a game in the 50's when we played Hibs when it was paraded round with it's Killie jacket on. Lawrie Reilly can over and the sheep tried to head butt him. Well over 15000 that day. Used to stand at the score board end with my dad in those days. The enclosure at the front of the stand was for 'well off folk so never did get there. Mind you my dad always took us in the stand when we played the twisted sisters. Their fans haven't changed much over the yesrs