New deal for Boydie?

kfc_superteam

New Deal for Boydie?   

343 members have voted

1. 1. Should Boomer be Offered a new deal at end of season?

• Yes
    • No

Since the change of manager he’s been a different player. Up until Clarke’s arrival he looked to be going through the motions and setting himself up for life after hanging up his boots. He’s now in what appears to be far better shape than he’s been in for a long time. He’s also found his hunger and scoring touch again.

If he keeps it up then a new deal is a must. 

Suppose it depends if he wants to keep going as well. Had things continued as they were under McCulloch he was potentially going to go out on a whimper. As it stand he’s looking at what could be a 20plus goal season. Does he want to be remembered like that and go on a high or keep going till he can’t and risk being the guy who went on too long. 

I'd give him one more year and I think the way he is playing at the moment and how he will finish the season will persuade him to go on for one more year and hopefully the lure of playing on will also be strong for him go one more and then into coaching!

35 at the start of next season which would be a bridge too far for someone who hasn't looked after themself. Will the manager feel he can bring someone different/better for the money Boyd is on? A strong 2nd half of the season & he can retire on a high & concentrate on his media work. If the opinions he has on tv/radio are anything to go by I doubt there will be much in the way of coaching work offered to him by our current set up!

Let's see how he does up to the split.  Can't see him signing for anyone else if he wants to keep playing.  I'm just not convinced he'll want to keep going.  I reckon he'll want to finish on a high, and say he left at the top of his game, which is more likely to be this summer.

We can't expect him to play as he has in December every week now, but if he keeps up the effort and chips in with a couple a month, then if he wants to stay, we should keep him. 

Boyd is still our best option up front for scoring goals. Even before Clarke took over and he was in and out of the team, we always created more chances when he was on the park. He’s made a career of getting into goal scoring positions and making it look easy in the process. As long as he’s still taking the chances he should be in the team.

Most other strikers can only dream of having his instinct. 

Edited by Mark

It's a no-brainer with his current form. Either Boyd or Brophy getting injured right now would be a frightening prospect because, although they have developed a strong partnership, behind them we appear to have absolutely nobody to play up front. So whether Boyd stays or goes we have to sign another striker to give us some back up - get rid of Boyd and we have to sign two new strikers.

How much can pundits realistically earn in Scotland? It's not like down south, where the likes of Lineker and Shearer are on 7-figure salaries. I'm not convinced it is ever going to be more than a part-time job for Boyd - maybe that's all he wants, right enough, but it wouldn't otherwise make sense for him to quit a full-time job to focus on his media work.

I'd say wait and see.

If current improvement in form and condition is maintained then I'd offer another year.

Can't see, at his age, that he'll get a better offer and I don't think it helps him if he feels too comfortable!

Also we might get another forward to replace Erwin in the window (surely that has to be priority?).

Performance of any new acquisition has to be a factor in this decision not least what Boyd is worth to us next year?

He's had a great month. I don't think other clubs will be queueing up to sign him though. See out the season to see if his form keeps up and meet with him and see what works for both parties. Kris Boyd on current form is invaluable and I'm sure he's not looking elsewhere.