Winter break

Night hawk

2 minutes ago, Night hawk said:

I see Tommy Wright moaning about no budget for a foreign training trip, we going anywhere? Not seen anything in press. 

A choice of destination. They can either work for Billy Bowie Special Projects, or John Kiltie's landscaping company.

'Hi. I'm Kris Boyd. Are you wanting your bush cut missus?'

'Hi. I'm Lee Erwin. I've come about your septic tank'

We'd all love to be able to get a wee holiday to cure the January blues after the hectic festive period.

Scotland's Premiership clubs are getting that opportunity with a three week shut down from playing football.

They're not back in action until January 20 in the Scottish Cup and some clubs are using it to their advantage and going abroad while others have chosen to stay at home.

Here Record Sport Online looks at what each club is doing during the break.

Aberdeen

Aberdeen will head off to Dubai for the second year in a row to undergo a warm weather training camp.

Last year, the trip was sponsored by Saltire Energy but the club are paying for it themselves for this January's break.

They fly out on Monday, January 8 and will play one friendly against a side from Uzbekistan, like they did last year when they played FC Bunyodkor.

Goalkeeper Joe Lewis insisted last year's trip was a big reason for their good form and can't wait to go back this year.

He said: “It’s a lovely treat for all the players and whether it’s coincidence or not, we believe Dubai was the reason we played well in the second half of last season.

“It’s something the players are really appreciative of. Not all clubs get it and we have to realise how lucky we are.

“It seemed to help last term and we hope it has the same effect this season.”

Celtic

Celtic will also be heading to Dubai and fly out at the weekend after being given some time off at the start of the winter break.

Brendan Rodgers took his side to the UAE last year and the players insisted it was a huge help in getting back to top form for the second half of the season.

The Hoops fly out on Saturday and will undergo a warm-weather training camp.

Rodgers men have looked tired in recent weeks but if they can get the same results as last January's camp, they'll be more than happy with their winter break ahead of the second half of the season.

Discussing last year's trip, captain Scott Brown said: “The break was fantastic, very nice and chilled and it was good to get back into it. The pitches were fantastic, which helped. It was hard but you have to expect that after six days off. The lads enjoyed it and it was good to meet up with everyone again.

“It’s always good to come back and see them and you miss the training as well. It’s good for everyone to come back in and get their duties done.”

Dundee

Dundee will be staying at home to prepare for the second half of the season as Neil McCann looks to turn his season around.

The Dens Park club have climbed off the foot of the table but are still in a relegation battle and McCann will be hoping the January break can kickstart their season.

Speaking about the break, McCann said: "It is my first winter break as a manager. They are away for over a week now. That's really important.

"On the other side, when I wasn't a manager, I always looked at it and didn't think it was important. Our cold weather normally rolls in about February.

"But as a manager I can see the benefits of it. It has been such a busy December, in particular.

"I think they do need a rest and I'm delighted they are going away on the back of three points."

Hearts

Hearts fly out to Valencia on January 11 for a warm weather camp and they'll play two friendlies while out in Spain.

Craig Levein wants a longer winter break but they'll only really get a week off before returning to training and heading to the sun.

“We will get a chance in Spain to do some work. We’re kind of caught in between a lot of things at the moment.

“In terms of the way we want to play, we’re not even close yet. The window will help us with that. Players getting fit will help.

“Getting some time on the training ground in Spain will help. Plus we’ll be looking to add some new players who can help the team.

“That’s certainly the plan but we’ll need to wait and see what happens. We’ve got two games pencilled in so everyone can get 90 minutes.”

Dutch outfit Vitesse Arnhem and German side FC Nurnberg are the opposition for their friendlies and it will give Levein a chance to get his players fit as well as integrate any new signings.

Hibernian

Hibs head for Portugal on January 9 for a four-day camp which includes a friendly against Dutch opposition.

The Algarve is their destination and Willem II are their opponents on Friday January 12.

After a very good first six months back in the top flight of Scottish football, Neil Lennon will be looking to get his side fired up and going again for the second half of the season with this sunny break.

Hamilton

Accies are a club that normally enjoy a trip away somewhere, whether it be down south or abroad but they'll be staying at the SuperSeal for the winter break.

Money problems caused by being the victim of fraud have put an end to any potential plans to go on tour.

Martin Canning will be focusing on strengthening his squad during the window, with a defender a top priority after Ioannis Skondras was told he could leave the club after a disciplinary problem.

Kilmarnock

Kilmarnock are another club who will be staying at home as Steve Clarke's men prepare for the second half of the season.

The Rugby Park side have enjoyed themselves since Clarke took charge, with a win over Rangers as well as draws against the Ibrox club and Celtic helping them move into sixth place in the Premiership.

A short break in January will revitalise the players before they head out for the second half of the season.

Motherwell

Motherwell started the season on fire and reached the Betfred Cup Final but it has been all downhill since.

The Fir Park club will be staying at home as they look to get their season back on track.

Stephen Robinson will be focusing on getting a new striker in the door after Louis Moult's move to Preston but his main thought will be on how he can get his side back on form.

Partick Thistle

Partick Thistle will head off to Spain for a training camp for the second year in a row.

The Maryhill side are heading to Antalaya, where they will play a friendly against mega-rich Chinese side Shanghai Shenhua.

The Super League outfit boast stars such as Carlos Tevez, Obafemi Martins and Demba Ba.

Thistle are struggling in the Premiership and were in a similar position last January when they went to La Manga for a week-long camp.

After that, Alan Archibald's side came back and shot up the league, finishing sixth, a record high for the Jags.

Striker Conor Sammon has already spoken about how much he is looking forward to getting away with the squad and bonding further.

Sammon said: “It will be great to get out to Spain and better weather.

“I was driving in today and it was sub-zero temperatures and I just thought that next week it will be at least 15 to 20 degrees.

“It’s meant to be raining, but I’ll take the rain as long as it’s not like the snow here."

Rangers

Rangers are heading stateside to take part in the Florida Cup with two games scheduled at the end of next week.

They fly out on Saturday for some warm weather training and then face two games against Brazilian opposition.

Corinthians and Atletico Mineiro are the two sides Graeme Murty's men will come up against, although Mineiro have confirmed they will be sending a reserve team to the winter tournament.

They play Corinthians on Thursday night/Friday morning with a midnight kick-off (UK time) while the game against Atletico Mineiro is a 6pm (UK) kick-off on Saturday

Last January, Rangers stayed at home apart but travelled to Germany to face RB Leipzig in a friendly.

Murty will be hoping this warm weather camp can give the Ibrox side a boost for the second half of the season.

Ross County

Life in the Highlands is tough at the minute with County rooted to the bottom of the table.

And Owen Coyle isn't even going to be able to take his players away on a winter training break.

Ross County will stay in Dingwall and hope they can turn their season around with plenty of training.

Some new signings are likely, as is usually the case in the January window, so Coyle will be hoping to get his new boys ready for the second half of the season.

St Johnstone

St Johnstone will be staying at home for the winter break, much to the frustration of boss Tommy Wright.

He was desperate to take his side on tour with a friendly lined up at the end of it but has been told by chairman Steve Brown that the club couldn't afford it.

Wright said: "I think it would have been important to go away. It's good motivation for the players, something to look forward to. You can get extra sessions in on the grass, warm-weather training, it gives everybody a lift.

"But if I'm not given any money to do that then I can't do it, which is disappointing, because I know the benefits of it. The club have to look after the purse strings, but I think the benefits would have outweighed by far the costs.

"In particular I'll be hoping that the weather eases off and we don't end up with bad weather, because obviously that's going to limit your preparation.

"It's something I worked hard to convince the chairman to do, but he couldn't do it.

"The trip we looked at had a game at the end of it, which is important. We are going to end up playing a game between ourselves.

"It's being as professional as you can and doing things the right way. Unfortunately no funds were made available for me to do that."

(Record)

Never understood the wanting away in January for a warm weather training camp. I understand it for pre season but to me it makes little sense at this time of year. Give the players this week off and let them go away to recharge if they want. Get them back in next week to make sure recovery is going well and begin prep for the second half of the season. 

3 minutes ago, skygod said:

Because it wouldn’t be a break if matches were still being played! 

The name the French give to their break translates as the truce.

It’s like a complete suspension of “hostilities”. 

Le truce? xD

Edited by Bullitt

7 hours ago, piffer said:

Never understood the wanting away in January for a warm weather training camp. I understand it for pre season but to me it makes little sense at this time of year. Give the players this week off and let them go away to recharge if they want. Get them back in next week to make sure recovery is going well and begin prep for the second half of the season. 

Don't have the issue of parks being frozen or waterlogged, people having to travel to training in bad conditions and I'd imagine the players and staff would all be happier in warmer weather. Given the choice I know what I'd rather do!

Run the season March to October, sixteen team league playing each other twice.  League cup at the start and Scottish cup starts in the middle and finishes at the end.

Family stuff before hand at the ground, BBQ’s, shows, entertainment, etc.  Get more folk I through the gates to offset the usual we will lose money from the OF arguments.

make the whole experience more fun for everyone.

Thought the whole point of a winter break was to give the players a week off. This gives them a chance to see their families etc as they start back early in July now for the bet Fred and they play over the Christmas period which means they can't travel home if they are based in England for example. 

If it just means they jet off to Spain or dubai what's the point as we end up with teams playing a game Saturday, Wednesday for  few weeks as the season finishes early for the World Cup. This takes more out the players and the weather in late January is equally as bad if not worse. 

2 hours ago, Beaker71 said:

Run the season March to October, sixteen team league playing each other twice.  League cup at the start and Scottish cup starts in the middle and finishes at the end.

Family stuff before hand at the ground, BBQ’s, shows, entertainment, etc.  Get more folk I through the gates to offset the usual we will lose money from the OF arguments.

What about international tournaments that happen every 2 years in the summer? I know there are some countries that run their leagues this way but it must be a pain in the bahookie having to change the schedule every 2 years.

47 minutes ago, killieblues said:

What about international tournaments that happen every 2 years in the summer? I know there are some countries that run their leagues this way but it must be a pain in the bahookie having to change the schedule every 2 years.

Just extend at the end and start early, have a break of a month in the middle.  Or just stick with football in howling gales, driving rain, snow, ice, hail, freezing stadiums dangerous travelling conditions and s**t crowds.

Exactly.  International tournaments are 4 weeks, its literally a fortnight either side.  Each season Scottish clubs go out earlier in Europe so that's no excuse anymore.  Also I'm sure that we are the most northern country on our hemisphere to play winter football.  I'm sure we would lose a few people to summer golf, but I'll take that no problem to the general uptake in crowds and in particular kids that we would see at Rugby Park.

1 hour ago, kfc_superteam said:

Thought the whole point of a winter break was to give the players a week off.

Players will be having this week (at least) off. 

Even when they restart training next week, it’s not going to be training geared to a competitive match. 

It’s a break from the normal training cycle of recovery and preparation between matches, and a chance to clear up niggling injuries. 

If you’ve ever been for a break in the sun at this time of year, if only for a week, you’ll know the psychological and therapeutic benefits on your muscles and joints. 

The only downside I can see is that it should it be a week longer. 

Edited by skygod

Friendlies are just that - a chance to try things out under no pressure. 

Most will have new signings to integrate. 

The clubs have to come back and play a cup tie - do you expect them to go into it not having played for three weeks? 

I think those playing Championship clubs, if there are any, may be vulnerable as it is. 

6 hours ago, Beaker71 said:

Part of me is intrigued by this, part of me would dread the idea of nae fitba throughout the worst 4 months of the year...

23 minutes ago, Fankle said:

Part of me is intrigued by this, part of me would dread the idea of nae fitba throughout the worst 4 months of the year...

I know what you mean but having to go to a s**tehole like ICT or Dundee in November in a howling gale and hail doesn’t quite have the same pull as the warm pub.

:2: