NHS massively under resourced shocker

gdevoy

The BBC news sit is currently awash with stories of outpatient clinics cancelled to the end of January to cope with the surge with hospital mangers apologising for third word conditions in A&E departments. 

Yet no politician has even bothered to take to the TV to display faux shock. The whole thing has become so run of the mill.  Everybody has become so used to starving the NHS of the appropriate resources it needs to provide a basic level of care through the winter months.

Neither Wee Nicola nor Jezza has taken the time to go have a go at the Westminster elite for the low, low tax / austerity policies needed to attract the multi-billionaires to the UK.

Is nobody going to speak up for the elderly and low-income people who are unable to speak for themselves?

Edited by gdevoy

11 minutes ago, samo said:

The NHS in Scotland is in a similar position. Trust me, I've just finished a c**t of a shift. 

BBC Scotland also carries stories of unacceptable waiting times in A&E (Please note, I consider the unacceptable-ness applies equally to the staff and patients.). I also have anecdotal stories of paramedic not being allowed a decent period of time to come to terms with distressing incidents before being huckled back out again to deal with the next one.

Waiting in "Admissions" with a relative during the week in a queue of paramedics I overheard one say that when she came on shift they has 24 unassigned emergencies. This is scary stuff.

1 hour ago, Brianstorm said:

Today's news stories are about NHS England. It's got nothing to do with Nicola. 

Agree. NHS Scotland performing better than NHS England (and Wales).

However, that isn't to say that we (those living in Scotland) can be smug: there isn't much of a difference overall and when all of NHS England (and Wales) get privatised, NHS Scotland will face huge pressure to get the same treatment. Then, the likes of Branson and Co. will become even richer.

I was visiting someone a few weeks back and heard a final year nursing student boasting to her pal that once she had qualified she was taking a month off and then moving to Dubai because the job was so much better over there .... and a load of her pals were intending to do the same.

We waste a fortune training people up and getting them qualified and they f**k off at the first opportunity.  Maybe there should be a clause in their contracts that they have to stay with the employer for a period of time after qualifying or they have to repay a chunk of the costs.

1 hour ago, chubbs said:

Maybe there should be a clause in their contracts that they have to stay with the employer for a period of time after qualifying or they have to repay a chunk of the costs.

That's too much like common sense to be adopted in the UK. 

Albeit one of my daughters is currently retraining within one of the Health Boards in Scotland and must work for them for at least one year after qualifying. This should also be the case when they initially qualify as a nurse / doctor etc. 

This should be extended wider. 

2 hours ago, chubbs said:

I was visiting someone a few weeks back and heard a final year nursing student boasting to her pal that once she had qualified she was taking a month off and then moving to Dubai because the job was so much better over there .... and a load of her pals were intending to do the same.

We waste a fortune training people up and getting them qualified and they f**k off at the first opportunity.  Maybe there should be a clause in their contracts that they have to stay with the employer for a period of time after qualifying or they have to repay a chunk of the costs.

Or maybe make the job better so they don't want to leave?

2 hours ago, chubbs said:

Trust me, the NHS get far more out of student nurses during their 3 or 4 years training, than it costs to train them. I’d go as far as to say the whole system would collapse without them. They do far more personal care than a qualified nurse, will spend more time with confused patients, do most of the mealtimes and assist patients requiring support with their nutritional intake, are often used in lieu of porters or domestic cleaners. There isn’t any gap they’re not asked to plug  

The only wastage I can think of is the extremely high drop out rate for student nurses. Caused imo by the pressure of the role combined with the financial pressures of doing a full time course. Student nurses routinely do their 37.5 hrs on placement then work another job so they can afford food, rent etc. It takes dedication to do that. 

Edited by Zorro

The horror stories my In-Laws tell me about their services in Yorkshire give me the fear.

As myself my wife start the process of scans and doctor/hospital visits for our second child, I'm reminded how grateful I am of the service we enjoy up here. My wife is proud to be English and loves where she is from, but she would not raise our kids any where else in the UK other than Scotland.

It's hard (and very unwise) to disagree with her.

On 03/01/2018 at 6:13 PM, chubbs said:

My employer put me through my Civil Eng degree. My contract stated that I had to remain with the company for X amount of years (think it was 5) or pay back the fees.

The amount I would have owed reduced the further into the 5 year term I reached.

6 minutes ago, ross1987 said:

The horror stories my In-Laws tell me about their services in Yorkshire give me the fear.

As myself my wife start the process of scans and doctor/hospital visits for our second child, I'm reminded how grateful I am of the service we enjoy up here. My wife is proud to be English and loves where she is from, but she would not raise our kids any where else in the UK other than Scotland.

Don't let @Mclean07 read that.

It goes against everything he says. He's usually gloating about how sh1te Scotland is.

6 minutes ago, ross1987 said:

My employer put me through my Civil Eng degree. My contract stated that I had to remain with the company for X amount of years (think it was 5) or pay back the fees.

The amount I would have owed reduced the further into the 5 year term I reached.

Thankfully the Scottish government pays the tuition fees now. What a wonderful country we live in. Imagine the possibilities if we had full control of our destiny. 

43 minutes ago, ross1987 said:

Not allowed to say how great our service is when England's is struggling. It's racist and stuff.

56 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Don't let @Mclean07 read that.

It goes against everything he says. He's usually gloating about how sh1te Scotland is.

He will just try and say Scotland has a hefty grant from England shire of 800 quadrillion pounds while the English have to get by on 42p, or whatever figures he makes up this week.

Oh and also claim if t wasn’t for his beloved yoonyin we’d still be using neat whisky as an anaesthetic, and two house bricks for vasectomies.

Edited by Beaker71