Golf / Golferists / Golfing / Gowf

virtuocity

Used to be lots of weekend hackers on the old forum, including myself.  Time for a thread.

Who still plays from on here?  Where do you have a membership?

I've been at East Renfrewshire GC for a while, but thinking about joining a club attached to the Troon Munis as I still want a game during the winter on full fairways/greens. 

Just proves that golf is declining ! No replies. And it definitely is. I was a member at Bruntsfield in Edinburgh until we moved west last year. It’s an ok course but when we moved to Edinburgh 20 years ago there was a 10 year waiting list . When I joined in 2008( the year is significant) they were biting your hand off to get you in . It’s becoming an oldies game , it takes a long time to play , not immediately exciting and it’s not hugely appealing to youngsters. In the case of Edinburgh in particular clubs were networking places for lawyers and finance folk , not any more , good thing too in my view.  

Anyway, I still hack it around , Western Gailes mainly , country member at Dornoch. The three Troon municipal courses are good and they’ve done a decent job on the clubhouse and pro shop . It’s a great facility if they maintain it properly. 

6 hours ago, diamond_geezer said:

Just proves that golf is declining ! No replies. And it definitely is. I was a member at Bruntsfield in Edinburgh until we moved west last year. It’s an ok course but when we moved to Edinburgh 20 years ago there was a 10 year waiting list . When I joined in 2008( the year is significant) they were biting your hand off to get you in . It’s becoming an oldies game , it takes a long time to play , not immediately exciting and it’s not hugely appealing to youngsters. In the case of Edinburgh in particular clubs were networking places for lawyers and finance folk , not any more , good thing too in my view.  

Anyway, I still hack it around , Western Gailes mainly , country member at Dornoch. The three Troon municipal courses are good and they’ve done a decent job on the clubhouse and pro shop . It’s a great facility if they maintain it properly. 

Well that's a forum two ball then!

Think some of those who played haven't made their way over to the new forum.  What ever happened to Killie Computers (Jim)?  He was a nice fella and signed me on to Royal Caprington.  

11 hours ago, diamond_geezer said:

The rule changes coming in next year will hopefully speed the game up. Saying that the golden oldies won't be too chuffed i'd imagine 

11 hours ago, Chris1810 said:

@virtuocity Play at Rowallan. Winter is a no go round there, good track in the summer though. 

I was looking at Troon too for all round year golf, only thing putting me off was the dog walkers. Pain in the hoop any time I've played Darley. 

Yet to play Rowallan but it's in a nice setting and the pro is really good.

Know what you mean about Troon Muni dog walkers.  Small price to pay for year-round golf, plus getting the Troon courses in addition to Belleisle and others is a crazy deal at £415.  PM me if you decide to move to a Troon club. 

Would gladly join Dundonald or Irvine Gailes but couldn't justify the price as a full-time worker.  Maybe when I retire and have more time on my hands!

Other links options includes Irvine and Prestwick St Nicks but I know they have heavy winter protection in place- so what's the point in joining?!?!

That leaves the likes of Barassie (love it there but reckon joining fees will be crazy) or Prestwick / Royal Troon which would be reserved for royalty.

Squirrelhumper- never played West Kilbride.  Looks great- but a wee bit far away from Killie.

That’s the other point . You just don’t need to be a member nowadays . You can pretty much play anywhere for a fee, most clubs are desperate for revenue and will offer great deals- bacon roll on arrival, soup and sandwiches after the round , even on weekends sometimes. In the West , Troon is the main exception, but they still have loads of visitors ( £1m of visitors fees last year) but it’s crazy expensive. Muirfield is the stand out because it’s harder to get a game unless you know someone but they do still have visitors. Turnberrry mental price - mental owner, mental price . 

1 hour ago, diamond_geezer said:

That’s the other point . You just don’t need to be a member nowadays . You can pretty much play anywhere for a fee, most clubs are desperate for revenue and will offer great deals- bacon roll on arrival, soup and sandwiches after the round , even on weekends sometimes. 

Good point.

I could, for example, join Annanhill GC for £125, play in 3 medal rounds a year to keep my CDH (Handicap) active, then play in an Open every single weekend.  Some of the prices for these are crazy (Loudoun £10, for example).  That means you could play all through the summer and then, if inclined, take out a winter links membership at Troon Munis for peanuts.

Beyond that, through the Teeofftimes website, there are regular cheap tee times during the week.  

However, the thing that a membership gives you is the flexibility to rock up and play at the last minute, with no organisation.  Also, you generally build up a good few friends and can enjoy a bit of banter.  The club competitions have to be attractive to you, and, personally, I love the matchplay competitions that run annually.  

1 hour ago, diamond_geezer said:

That’s the other point . You just don’t need to be a member nowadays . You can pretty much play anywhere for a fee, most clubs are desperate for revenue and will offer great deals- bacon roll on arrival, soup and sandwiches after the round , even on weekends sometimes. In the West , Troon is the main exception, but they still have loads of visitors ( £1m of visitors fees last year) but it’s crazy expensive. Muirfield is the stand out because it’s harder to get a game unless you know someone but they do still have visitors. Turnberrry mental price - mental owner, mental price . 

Very true and the main reason I'm not a member of a club anymore.

Not that fussed about medals (football gets in the way) so I'm happy to just tour about.

3 hours ago, virtuocity said:

Yet to play Rowallan but it's in a nice setting and the pro is really good.

Know what you mean about Troon Muni dog walkers.  Small price to pay for year-round golf, plus getting the Troon courses in addition to Belleisle and others is a crazy deal at £415.  PM me if you decide to move to a Troon club. 

Would gladly join Dundonald or Irvine Gailes but couldn't justify the price as a full-time worker.  Maybe when I retire and have more time on my hands!

Other links options includes Irvine and Prestwick St Nicks but I know they have heavy winter protection in place- so what's the point in joining?!?!

That leaves the likes of Barassie (love it there but reckon joining fees will be crazy) or Prestwick / Royal Troon which would be reserved for royalty.

Squirrelhumper- never played West Kilbride.  Looks great- but a wee bit far away from Killie.

Yeah, David is great for the club. If you ever want to play it give me a shout, i can sign folk on fiver for 8 holes. Tenner for 18. As i said its a bit wet at minute, needs about a week of dry weather to be playable at this time of year though it is full greens. 

Troon was attracting me for the year round dryness plus as you said belleisle etc thrown in to mix it up is a cracking deal. I'm sure likes of St Meddans is only £80 or something. 

I played Barassie a few weeks back, course was in great condition but you couldn't play from large chunks of the fairways. I looked online & seen it was £1100 for year. Couldn't see anything about a joining fee though. Talking of joining fees Bogside has a shocking joining fee that puts me off, something like £700 on top of the membership

Member at Fortrose and Rosemarkie. Hadn't played for years after moving up here then was given a winter membership as a birthday present (think she was trying to get me out of the house). Full membership now and looking to get my handicap this coming year and playbthe odd medal and open through the summer shifts permitting. Cracking wee course and perfectly maintained throughout the year. 

3 hours ago, Chris1810 said:

Yeah, David is great for the club. If you ever want to play it give me a shout, i can sign folk on fiver for 8 holes. Tenner for 18. As i said its a bit wet at minute, needs about a week of dry weather to be playable at this time of year though it is full greens. 

Troon was attracting me for the year round dryness plus as you said belleisle etc thrown in to mix it up is a cracking deal. I'm sure likes of St Meddans is only £80 or something. 

I played Barassie a few weeks back, course was in great condition but you couldn't play from large chunks of the fairways. I looked online & seen it was £1100 for year. Couldn't see anything about a joining fee though. Talking of joining fees Bogside has a shocking joining fee that puts me off, something like £700 on top of the membership

Aye Meddans is £80 whereas Welbeck is £150.  The former has a waiting list and despite asking a lot of different people, no one has been able to answer as to why there's such a huge difference in price.  I think Welbeck may have a bit of the clubhouse to themselves but may be wrong.  Also I think Welbeck also have some blocked off weekend tee times but I need to confirm this.

I really like Bogside- a tricky short wee course with some cool holes. But I'm exactly the same as you- completely put off by the crazy joining fee.  Plus- fairway mats during the winter is a complete joke. 

1 hour ago, virtuocity said:

Aye Meddans is £80 whereas Welbeck is £150.  The former has a waiting list and despite asking a lot of different people, no one has been able to answer as to why there's such a huge difference in price.  I think Welbeck may have a bit of the clubhouse to themselves but may be wrong.  Also I think Welbeck also have some blocked off weekend tee times but I need to confirm this.

I really like Bogside- a tricky short wee course with some cool holes. But I'm exactly the same as you- completely put off by the crazy joining fee.  Plus- fairway mats during the winter is a complete joke. 

I never realised that any golf clubs had waiting lists these days! 

As far as i aware both St Meddans and Welbeck have tee times blocked off each week either on Darley or Lochgreen. I might need to do a bit of digging if i end up moving clubs. I was just planning on deciding around March time.

2 hours ago, Blackislekillie said:

Member at Fortrose and Rosemarkie. Hadn't played for years after moving up here then was given a winter membership as a birthday present (think she was trying to get me out of the house). Full membership now and looking to get my handicap this coming year and playbthe odd medal and open through the summer shifts permitting. Cracking wee course and perfectly maintained throughout the year. 

Had a wee look on the net there. Looks a good course, links courses have that advantage of looking in great condition all year round 

I play at Barassie, and the benefits of playing there is the 27 holes so you’re not playing the same track every time as they mix and match it, year round golf with no winter greens (or very rarely) and most of the membership is from Killie so easy to see folk you know. Catering improved last year too. It’s not cheap but you generally get what you pay for.

29 minutes ago, casual observer said:

I play at Barassie, and the benefits of playing there is the 27 holes so you’re not playing the same track every time as they mix and match it, year round golf with no winter greens (or very rarely) and most of the membership is from Killie so easy to see folk you know. Catering improved last year too. It’s not cheap but you generally get what you pay for.

Is there a joining fee at Barassie? When i had a look I couldn't see anything

1 hour ago, casual observer said:

Could you check out the joining fee mate?

8 hours ago, Blackislekillie said:

What a great wee course ! Play it often on the way to Dornoch . Get distracted by the dolphins quite often , explains my shank on the short hole .