Golf / Golferists / Golfing / Gowf

virtuocity

13 hours ago, casual observer said:

Joining fee is a year’s subs, but can be paid over 3 years (£1147 or £382 x 3). There’s also a 20% discount for new members and their proposer on annual fees if joining before March.

That's £25 a round if you play once a week.  Defo not an attractive option for those with busy jobs / social lives.  Would jump at it if I had time for 2 or 3 games a week though.  Great setup there.  

16 hours ago, diamond_geezer said:

I think there is , but it can be paid up over 3 years . I think . They have built a new hole and changed a few things , should make it better , although it’s a nice track anyway. 

Yeah i seen it getting built when i played, should cut down that long walk that there is currently between 12th & 13th (i think that's the holes)

@casual observer thanks. To be honest i feel joining fees are one of the things that holds golf back. They put a lot of people off

Play at least twice a week usually more during summer. Moved down to Solihull 4 years ago when i started playing competitively. Handicap of 6 but hoping to get it down to under 5 this year. Done a golf tour of last year involving Gleneagles, Dornoch, Nairn, Trump International, Cruden bay and Old Moray. Sensational courses and plenty around ive yet to tick off my list. 

Moving back to Glasgow soon and will be on the look out for a new club. 

20 hours ago, Scooter said:

According to a YouGov survey, golf has been crowned the most boring sport to watch.

The height of tee-dium...

20180111_201038.jpg

Golf can be dull, but it's not as bad as half the stuff on there. Athletics being least boring is a laugh. I like athletics, but the people in that poll have clearly never been to an athletics meet. I think they've also heard from other people that American football is boring. If people were being honest most of the sports would be "don't know." It's ok not to have an opinion.

1 hour ago, Riverplatekillie said:

Question for you,which USA baseball team has a street running along one side of their stadium called

Kilmarnock,true?

Fenway Park, which is on the bucket list.

I liked the baseball game we went to, SF Giants had been on a loosing (sic) streak but won our game and nearly caught a ball.

On 12/01/2018 at 5:28 PM, KennyH80 said:

Play at least twice a week usually more during summer. Moved down to Solihull 4 years ago when i started playing competitively. Handicap of 6 but hoping to get it down to under 5 this year. Done a golf tour of last year involving Gleneagles, Dornoch, Nairn, Trump International, Cruden bay and Old Moray. Sensational courses and plenty around ive yet to tick off my list. 

Moving back to Glasgow soon and will be on the look out for a new club. 

Where do you play? I play at copt heath quite a lot(with a pal who is a member).

On 06/01/2018 at 9:35 AM, virtuocity said:

Yet to play Rowallan but it's in a nice setting and the pro is really good.

Know what you mean about Troon Muni dog walkers.  Small price to pay for year-round golf, plus getting the Troon courses in addition to Belleisle and others is a crazy deal at £415.  PM me if you decide to move to a Troon club. 

Would gladly join Dundonald or Irvine Gailes but couldn't justify the price as a full-time worker.  Maybe when I retire and have more time on my hands!

Other links options includes Irvine and Prestwick St Nicks but I know they have heavy winter protection in place- so what's the point in joining?!?!

That leaves the likes of Barassie (love it there but reckon joining fees will be crazy) or Prestwick / Royal Troon which would be reserved for royalty.

Squirrelhumper- never played West Kilbride.  Looks great- but a wee bit far away from Killie.

I’ve been at Glasgow Gailes for 18 years but getting in can be tedious. You have to get 6 signatures from member of 2 years standing and Proposer and Seconder with 5 years. They split their memberships into two categories: Gailes only and Full which includes Killermont in Bearsden, but if you lived in Ayrshire Gailes only would suffice, it is 2/3rds of full fee, currently £1300. I think joining fee on top of that was 50% of fee so would be £2k for first year. I could certainly help with signatures if you were interested, like most around the west coast it is all year round golf, yes there are some bits of the fairways they try to protect in winter but it is no real problem.

I caddy there and at Western Gailes from April to October, I have to say Glasgow greens were much better than Western but they did improve vastly towards latter part of summer. I think Western is a better test of golf. DG could tell you better on membership, will be similar to Glasgow I would have thought.

Bogside would be easier to get in I would think, I’m not comfortable with the layout of some of the holes (3,4,5 eg), and like Barrassie dining and evening entertainment would be better. Both have good junior sections I believe. 

Edited by Mcilroy56

3 hours ago, Bhamkillieken said:

Where do you play? I play at copt heath quite a lot(with a pal who is a member).

Play at Shirley Golf club. Been a member for about 2 and a half years now. Will be sad to leave it. Great course during the summer months especially. Never got the chance to play Copt Heath but heard good things about it. 

Where do you live?

11 minutes ago, KennyH80 said:

Play at Shirley Golf club. Been a member for about 2 and a half years now. Will be sad to leave it. Great course during the summer months especially. Never got the chance to play Copt Heath but heard good things about it. 

Where do you live?

Used to live in Olton in Solihull, just beside Robin Hood golf club. Now live in Sutton Coldfield. Worth playing copt Heath if you get the chance, plays well all year round. Worth trying Robin Hood or Olton too.

1 minute ago, Bhamkillieken said:

Used to live in Olton in Solihull, just beside Robin Hood golf club. Now live in Sutton Coldfield. Worth playing copt Heath if you get the chance, plays well all year round. Worth trying Robin Hood or Olton too.

Yeah I've played Olton and going to play Robin Hood before I leave here!

Play at Prestwick St. Cuthberts. It's a course really on the up, the greens in the summer are one of the best you will play on. Was chosen to host part of the Scottish Men's amateur this year as well.

Unless frozen the main greens are on over the winter as well. Great value and the food in the clubhouse is cracking as well.

I think the main reason for the downturn in golf is the incessant rain we seem to be getting more often than not these days, inland courses are becoming five month memberships, I am a member st Kilmarnock Golf Club and very lucky to have an open course all year round, couple that with the generous discount on offer just now for new members and their proposer makes it an attractive choice in Ayrshire.