is the "we are Killie" song unacceptable

Trojan76

Is the song "we are killie" not acceptable  

373 members have voted

1. 1. I find the line "we hate Ayr, black b******s" unacceptable, should the club take a stance and ask fans to stop singing it?

• yes
    • no

Black as in 'filthy' is a well worn word/phrase in these parts but I do think it's dying out because the world is changing and thanks to media/travel etc language is becoming more international. 

We all should know that singing Ayr are black bastards means they are filthy/unwashed bastards and is nothing to do with skin colour. Being from Kilmarnock I was probably introduced to the word black as in the colour first, to mean very dirty 2nd and then with reference to skin/race a distant 3rd but that was 30 year ago.

My son is 9 and would never associate the world black with being dirty. He associates it with race and therefor when he's heard that particular song being sung I've had to explain it to him. He doesn't like it cause it feels wrong to him which is a sign that it's becoming outdated. 

It will die out of its own volition I'm sure. I've sung it and will maybe sing it again, as I know what it means, but the very fact we are having this debate means it should probably be canned. 

It's a s**t fitba song anyway. 

3 hours ago, Isle of Wight Exile said:

"Rashid's going to Mexico" was the chant from the shed back in the day.

The story goes when he was in the manager's office signing for Killie the conversation went as follows:-

Eddie Morrison: "I need your place of birth Rashid, probably best if you spell it out for me"

Rashid Sarwar: "OK boss it's P..A..I..S..L..E..Y"

2 hours ago, Isle of Wight Exile said:

Michael Chopra only one that comes to mind.  I don't know if it's a historical thing as their ancestors wouldn't have watched football but you think that wouldn't have an influence now.  Still very few black Scottish players too. Emmanuel Panther, Anya, Iwelumo and earlier Harper though he was English. 

Paul Wilson of Celtic (mentioned in your link) was half Indian, and made to suffer for it by Rangers fans in particular.

Kevin Harper may have been born in England but he grew up in Possil and sounded like it too.

31 minutes ago, Fankle said:

The story goes when he was in the manager's office signing for Killie the conversation went as follows:-

Eddie Morrison: "I need your place of birth Rashid, probably best if you spell it out for me"

Rashid Sarwar: "OK boss it's P..A..I..S..L..E..Y

Brilliant.  Bit like on article I linked it said fans singing go home which wasn't too difficult as Paisley isn't very far away and he often done it! 

39 minutes ago, Sandman396 said:

Why is there such a strong support for songs with racist overtones?

It is sad to see so many people cannot accept that times have changed and what was once "acceptable" is no longer.

Maybe they can have some blue hats made with "Make Chants Great Again" on them.

1 hour ago, pmonty3 said:

Black as in 'filthy' is a well worn word/phrase in these parts but I do think it's dying out because the world is changing and thanks to media/travel etc language is becoming more international. 

We all should know that singing Ayr are black bastards means they are filthy/unwashed bastards and is nothing to do with skin colour. Being from Kilmarnock I was probably introduced to the word black as in the colour first, to mean very dirty 2nd and then with reference to skin/race a distant 3rd but that was 30 year ago.

My son is 9 and would never associate the world black with being dirty. He associates it with race and therefor when he's heard that particular song being sung I've had to explain it to him. He doesn't like it cause it feels wrong to him which is a sign that it's becoming outdated. 

It will die out of its own volition I'm sure. I've sung it and will maybe sing it again, as I know what it means, but the very fact we are having this debate means it should probably be canned. 

It's a s**t fitba song anyway. 

This is exactly what i was getting at, kids nowadays find the word "black" as nothing to do with cleanliness and only race. Times have changed and we cannot go on singing a song referencing black b******s.

When I first started uni was out on a field trip and my pal did something manky and I said "gadz ya black bastard" and got the most filthy looks I've ever had from the Glasgow Uni contingent present and spent some time explaining how I wasnae a race hater.

This song is patently not racist and has no intent whatsoever. I suppose if you song it and someone has a go just explain the context. I'd guess the song will probably die out, it's not that long ago that most folk referred to Ayr fans as "the darkies" after all.

More problematic is the couple of times I heard the word "fenian" and "taig" directed at Hibs last weekend.

2 hours ago, aumgn said:

When I first started uni was out on a field trip and my pal did something manky and I said "gadz ya black bastard" and got the most filthy looks I've ever had from the Glasgow Uni contingent present 

Well if the Glasgow Uni contingent disapprove of the phrase then thats all the reason I need for me to vote No in this poll.  

I've got mixed feelings about this and can see both points of view. However, despite my natural tendency to stick up for all things "linguistically Ayrshire", I really don't think that this is something that is easily explained away to the wider world as a peculiar localism. In short, I've got a horrible feeling that this song will really bring the club some serious embarrassment at some point.