is the "we are Killie" song unacceptable

Trojan76

Is the song "we are killie" not acceptable  

373 members have voted

1. 1. I find the line "we hate Ayr, black b******s" unacceptable, should the club take a stance and ask fans to stop singing it?

• yes
    • no

In a way i am glad that 36% of people agree with me and see that the song really has no place in our song book.

Some of the arguements against would have Show Racism The Red Card rushing to shut the stadium! Can't believe how people can't see the difference between saying "black b******s" and anything else black. Jesus, it's 2018 not 1958

5 minutes ago, mathematics said:

The club "allow" all sorts of songs to be sung at RP, especially when Rangers and Celtic visit. Impossible to police.

They could take a stance and condem it, we don't have to be like the twisted sisters and let their fans do what they want

1 minute ago, Trojan76 said:

They could take a stance and condem it, we don't have to be like the twisted sisters and let their fans do what they want

I agree, they could. I don't think they will, particularly as it may just draw attention to the "problem" when most folk in Scotland wouldn't even know about it.

3 minutes ago, mathematics said:

I agree, they could. I don't think they will, particularly as it may just draw attention to the "problem" when most folk in Scotland wouldn't even know about it.

Thanks, i understand that rational and can see where you are coming from

2 minutes ago, Trojan76 said:

Thanks, i understand that rational and can see where you are coming from

However, that rational does suggest a "sweeping under the carpet" from the Club (if they do think it is an issue). They maybe see it as a small issue in comparison with the running of the Club. This is all conjecture though.

3 hours ago, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

I used to have a deal with an Indian fella who had a job down this way for about 6 months he was in the office most days, he was from Glasgow Pollockshields and the first time I offered him a cup of tea he accepted when I asked him what he took in it his reply was "nothing mate I like a cup of tea as black as me" 

aftet the initial shock at his comment it raised a few laughs with everyone my point is not every black person is going to be offended by the song sung in the context it was originally meant 

you can't accuse anyone of being racist singing that song when the original term was referencing someone's hygiene levels 

This........is precisely why the politically correct do gooders are plain wrong on this one.......good shout fella. I condemn all racism, this just isn't.

BTW, I take some of you boys have switched off the Brighton game on BT Sport due to offensive hello hello song being chanted........just asking.....

20 minutes ago, Isle of Wight Exile said:

Unless your referring to the Chinese! 

That was why I said it. 

Ive just realised that I misread the question. I don't think it is for the club to do anything, it would be for the fans themselves to police.  If the majority of fans wanted to stop signing it or change the words then that's what would bring about change, I don't think a change would be effective if it was forced on fans. 

5 hours ago, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

....."nothing mate I like a cup of tea as black as me" 

aftet the initial shock at his comment it raised a few laughs with everyone my point is not every black person is going to be offended by the song sung in the context it was originally meant 

Not every one would but some might be offended then?

Did you ask the next black man you entertained if he wanted his tea black, like himself?

As someone said above, it's a minefield - you can either tip-toe carefully through or avoid it....

On a slightly different subject, years ago my (English) other half pinched her flesh in something causing a blood blister which she referred to as "a black man's pinch".  

Now, I'd never heard of the expression - maybe it's more of an English saying. My immediate reaction was that it sounded a bit old-fashioned and not something you should be saying these days. The derivation seems to be that the blister looked like the skin had been pinched by a black man.

Looking at some on-line forum discussions, the responses were similar  to those on here, ie that of course there's nothing racist about it, to it's not an expression you should be using in this day and age. The view of one black person was that it was a racist term.

It's not an expression I would use. The same as I wouldn't use the words "black" and "bastard" in conjunction under any circumstances.

Call it PC gone mad if you want, but at least I won't be getting blown up in any minefields.

Edited by skygod

The 36% being quoted may be incorrect as I never read the question properly and answered incorrectly as I’m sure someone else also said. 

If say Real Madrid were known as the whites and Barca fans sung white bastards at them.......would any of us think for a minute it was racist!? 

Also worth noting there is very very little diversity at somerset or RP so why the hell would calling ayr fans black bastards be considered remotely racist. 

You can find offence in anything if you want to. 

I also answered the question incorrectly. To compare black puddings with black b@stards wins the prize for the most twisted, inane comment I think I've ever seen on here. The whole thing shows that for all our condemnation of other teams, we're no better when we put on blue and white specs.

8 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

I also answered the question incorrectly. To compare black puddings with black b@stards wins the prize for the most twisted, inane comment I think I've ever seen on here. The whole thing shows that for all our condemnation of other teams, we're no better when we put on blue and white specs.

Put me down as another one who answered the question incorrectly.

As for the remainder of your comment, I couldn’t have put it better.

22 hours ago, Mclean07 said:

If any other grouping or club sang it we would condem it. No matter the original meaning it's offensive in this day and age. Political correctness jibes are a fall back position for racists/ bigots to silence people. It's simply human decency. Would you be comfortable belting it out if a black Killie fan was sitting next to you. We need to apply the same standards we apply to others. 

If it's any consolation I've seen black Killie fans sing it.

Folk are looking for racist undertones in a song that simply don't exist. Nothing about being racist bigots, if you see it as that then more fool you.

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

If it's any consolation I've seen black Killie fans sing it.

Folk are looking for racist undertones in a song that simply don't exist. Nothing about being racist bigots, if you see it as that then more fool you.

I actually read you last post as being of the opinion we should drop or change the word. I don't think most people use it in a racist manner but I think we should be sensible enough to realise the perception and words used are no longer acceptable.