Car Mechanical Advice

Lroy

I'm looking for a new car and went to see a Seat Mii yesterday. I love it, drives great and I'd have snapped it up but for 1 thing. 

When I tried to pull away on the test drive the handbrake was stuck on. Looks like it had seized up, rear drum brakes I think. Salesman tried to force it unstuck but just ended up pulling away with both rear wheels jammed. He got one unstuck by trying the same in reverse but had to get a rubber mallet out for the other. 

So... Is this a known fault? He seemed to suggest the car hadn't been sitting there very long. If I go away for a week am I going to be stuck in the airport carpark? Is there something easily fixable here? Like I say, I loved the car other than that... slight issue.

It's not a major thing, although it normally happens if the car has been sitting for ages. It's usually a little surface rust. It could have been down to the temperature recently though I suppose. 

It’s most likely the dealer didn't want to admit the car has been sitting for ages. You could ask them to check that over if you buy it, but they probably won't bother their arse. 

Yep- clearly been sitting doing feck all for ages.  Every car will do this- normally see this after my holidays.  Should ease off without need for a new zone valve.

Mii is decent- does a job and most have some cool gadgets.  I don't think you should buy any car though as in my head you seem to be more like a cyclist, jogger or public transport kinda guy.  

Good luck with the purchase anyway.