Assistant Managers

BigD'sGingerLorry

I’m not sure there was such a thing as assistant managers back in the day. 

Rab Stewart was around for a long time including the tenures of those named, I think. 

Davie Sneddon was in the background too before he was manager, as were Ronnie Hamilton and Davie Wilson. 

It was more a case of the manager and the reserve team manager. 

Tiny dugouts in those days and maybe only room for the manager, one or two subs and the trainer (physio)! 

19 minutes ago, Killie1984 said:

What where trainers. Where they a sort of odd job man doing a bit of everything?

McRae did the conditioning work with players, physiotherapy and treated match day injuries.

Hugh Allan seemed to be more of a physio and I don't know if he took the conditioning work. Others will know.

You have to remember that, between Wattie and Hugh, they covered the work for over 40 years!

Edited by skygod

I vaguely remember Davie Sneddon getting sacked and Rab Stewart (I think) was “Caretaker Manager”. I thought that meant that he was the chief janny and next in line to take the team.

Honest. I must’ve been about 5 or 6.

PS I also remember carefully cutting Jim Clunie’s picture and name out of St Mirren (?) and sticking it over DS in my Panini book!

8 minutes ago, DuncanEwart said:

It was against "Queen's Park Strollers in a Reserve League West match at Lesser Hampden on 7th April 1986", according to Richard Cairns and Gordon Allison in "Killie 'Til I Die..."

Good to know I wasn't imagining it. Ta.

14 minutes ago, Caldow said:

I vaguely remember Davie Sneddon getting sacked and Rab Stewart (I think) was “Caretaker Manager”. I thought that meant that he was the chief janny and next in line to take the team.

Honest. I must’ve been about 5 or 6.

PS I also remember carefully cutting Jim Clunie’s picture and name out of St Mirren (?) and sticking it over DS in my Panini book!

He was chief janny again when Jim Clunie left :D.

3 hours ago, DuncanEwart said:

Was Bill Munro Clydebank manager at one time?

Yes Duncan, he finished his career at the Bankies and went into management, he took over the Airdrie job around 1981/2 and took me there in 82 when Sandy Clark went to West Ham, he got sacked when Fanny McLeod took over and went to manage/coach in Malta iirc. He came back to Scotland and was at Killie as assistant to Eddie and talked to me one Tuesday night at Rugby Park when playing a reserve game. He convinced Eddie to try and get me on a month loan period and that was it. Absolute gem of a man, was better suited to coaching than manager, he would probably tell you that himself. Hope he will be at the annual dinner the Bankies hold in March where they induct players/managers into their hall of fame. I have heard that Jim Lumsden is up for nomination, he was a stalwart of Bill’s team of the 70’s.

Edited by Mcilroy56

I always wondered if he had anything to do with your signing. I remember being at a Q & A with Eddie Morrison and Bill Munro in the Killie Club. Bill Munro didn't say much, but he came across as sensible, level headed and very knowledgable about the game- a real football man. I can't remember why he left his position at the club- did he get a better offer from elsewhere?