Cities you liked

Souleycouley93

21 hours ago, Scooby_Doo said:

You driving @mathematics? We did that, starting in Vegas, going through Yosemite and Death Valley, up to SF and then up to LA. Magic. 

I'm doing something similar this summer. Flying to Vegas, driving to San Diego, then up via Cambria, Monterrey, LA, San Francisco, Yosemite, Death Valley and back to Vegas where we want to see Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon before flying home.   Really looking forward to it. 

On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 11:22 AM, Souleycouley93 said:

Have any of you been to Munich or a good place in Germany ?

Took a trip to Heidelberg when we were over for the Kaiserslautern game in 99. It's a very impressive town, lot of history there.

Edited by Fankle

2 hours ago, Pelesboots said:

I'm doing something similar this summer. Flying to Vegas, driving to San Diego, then up via Cambria, Monterrey, LA, San Francisco, Yosemite, Death Valley and back to Vegas where we want to see Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon before flying home.   Really looking forward to it. 

You should be, it'll be fantastic. 

2 hours ago, Pelesboots said:

Give yourselves plenty of stopping time to see stuff cos there's a hell of a lot of driving involved. Towns like San Luis Obispo and Cayucos are worth a visit. The drive thru Big Sur shouldn't be rushed as the scenery is spectaçular and Monterey is good for an overnight.

We used Airbnb all the way and stayed in places as varied as a Japanese Tea House in Topanga Canyon, to a house in the middle of the desert, to a guy's loft in Monterey.

Superb stuff.

5 hours ago, Scooter said:

Give yourselves plenty of stopping time to see stuff cos there's a hell of a lot of driving involved. Towns like San Luis Obispo and Cayucos are worth a visit. The drive thru Big Sur shouldn't be rushed as the scenery is spectaçular and Monterey is good for an overnight.

Thanks for this, it's very helpful.   

I am currently in Dublin which I have thoroughly enjoyed. 

Paris, Amsterdam and New York would be my top 3.

Washington is good as well ... Get out to Dulles if flying machines are your thing.

Had a couple of good nights in Dublin.

In Oslo at the moment but not getting much chance to do anything out of work ... Seemed nice enough though. Same with Warsaw and Brisbane ... Although the latter is a bit far for a long weekend!!

London is a bit 'meh' ... 

Avoid Belgium ... It's a s**thole full of 6toed inbreds.

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 3:28 PM, Mclean07 said:

Just thought id read that it was mostly modern and a bit soviet style rather than lovely. But you'll know better if you've been there.

The old town was lovely and I never really thought it was soviet like at all. Old town was flattened in the war and then rebuilt exactly as it was.

Image result for warsaw old town

Image result for warsaw old town

Image result for warsaw

54 minutes ago, chubbs said:

In Oslo at the moment but not getting much chance to do anything out of work ... Seemed nice enough though. Same with Warsaw and Brisbane ... Although the latter is a bit far for a long weekend!!

I loved Oslo, been twice. Bloody expensive though.

55 minutes ago, chubbs said:

Brussels aye but I loved Bruges.

11 hours ago, chubbs said:

Paris, Amsterdam and New York would be my top 3.

Washington is good as well ... Get out to Dulles if flying machines are your thing.

Had a couple of good nights in Dublin.

London is a bit 'meh' ... 

Ostend is good for a weekend

On 15/01/2018 at 4:48 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

I loved Oslo, been twice. Bloody expensive though.

Not when you're on expenses it ain't!!

Just stayed at the Radisson Alna for a week and it was 99NOK for 500ml Ringnes and 120 for Brooklyn .... guts of £10 & £12 respectively for a beer. 

Craziest thing is fuel prices .... cheap in the morning and it goes up throughout the day.  We stopped at a services for lunch and after paying nearly £40 for 2 burgers and a couple of drinks .... we saw that the fuel had went up 20p a litre in the space of 30mins!!!

On 13/01/2018 at 8:25 AM, Isle of Wight Exile said:

Dublin alright. Liked the Gaol.

Went to Kilmainham Gaol on Monday afternoon - was a great tour and the museum was excellent too.

I went to the Emigration Museum too on Sunday, which is well worth a visit, although some of their Irish connections are a wee bit tenous. 

Enjoyed the Guinness Storehouse tour too - the views of Dublin from the 360 degree rooftop bar on the 7th floor are fabulous. 

Edited by Pelesboots

Canne say I have an absolute favourite but Berlin is right up there.

Others include:

Copenhagen 

Stockholm

Warsaw

Prague

Amsterdam 

Edinburgh (Yup. And only an hr and a half away!)

Barcelona

Rome

Dunno if Id rush back to Paris which I enjoyed at the time but I was a lot younger and have been to places I like far better.

Manchester is OK but canne say im a fan of Newcastle or Liverpool. 

Bristol was excellent.

If you dont think you can afford to go to Scandanavia you can. You just have to be smart about it and forget about spending loads of time in pubs. Carry out is a better option especially in Copenhagen. Stockholm is more difficult but beer is accessable.

For me Eastern Europe is my favourite (and I include Berlin in that) at the moment. Cheap friendly and a little edgy at the same time. If you are on the pull the women are stunning and the guys all ugly as sin. Single me wishes he went there. Looking at Wroclaw in Poland for my stag later on in the year. 

To do list includes

Reykjavik

Budapest

Bratislava

New Orleans 

Vancouver

Singapore

Thinking of doing a couple of nights in Bangkok onto my Honeymoon.

Going to Belfast in May on a stag. Sceptical about it. Any info? Doubt the guy organising has done any research.

Edited by cammy_boy

On 13/01/2018 at 11:50 AM, Mclean07 said:

Mmmm. Surprised at Warsaw.

Warsaw is very modern as it was totaly flattened in the war but the old town was rebuilt and there are a lot of hiden gems. It is massivly spread out due to said flattening. To be fair I quite like some Soviet era achitecture the Palace of Science and Culture being a good example. The contrast with the old town is cool. Probably the main reason I like Berlin so much is the contrast between 18th century, 1930's, Soviet era grittyness and modern. Warsaw has some of these features but definetly not as cool. Id go if you can. Wont cost you much. We go 3 nights flights and 4 star accomodation right in the rigging for £93 and its dirt cheap when there. 

I went to Reyjavik for the UEFA Cup tie in 1999.

It's a very small, unremarkable town with few sights and was, at that time, very expensive. The summer window is very short too.

Iceland has fantastic geophysical attractions but I'm not sure Reykjavik itself is worth the trouble.

Edited by skygod