Monty's Scottish Cup Memories

C4mmy31

Agree that the League Cup win was more special overall, various factors, massive underdogs, at Hampden, Celtic on a 26 game unbeaten run. Can remember thinking after the Hibs final 'we will get to another League Cup final sometime, but its bound to be against Celtic or Rangers next time, today was the big chance'. Also the fact that it meant we had finally completed the 'treble' of trophies available. 

97 was obviously brilliant though, difficult to imagine the scenes in the town afterwards again. Cried just about every time watching the official video of it for a while afterwards. 

Agree with all the finals and everyone's own take/experiences on them. Was at both those finals and loved every bit of both as well as the aftermath. Got

97 at No1,

12 at No2 and 

79 at No3.

All special in their own way and will forever have the memories. (well unless the drink, drugs and solvent abuse take them away)

I was 11 watching killie in my first final in 79 and I'm proud to say watching us score 2 goals in the last 5-10 minutes then winning on penalties against oldco at castle greyskull cemented me as a Killie fan. I wanted to leave with 15 mins to go but my old dad would let me leave, so so glad he did because of that no matter how bad we play I've never left a Killie game before the final whistle. KTID :38:KTWAD.

Thanks Monty, Pasca and Robbo

Edited by Asasaid
Killie since conceived in '66

• 1 year later...
On 17 January 2018 at 4:27 PM, gdevoy said:

I remember Lekovic climbing up into the stand to get his wean to take him / her onto the pitch with him.

I wonder where Dragojy is these days? His wean has probably got weans of their own.

Just spotted the big man on the bench as part of the coaching staff for Montenegro against England tonight.

although if England keep going at this rate, he may be looking for a new position

Edited by Trumpetree
Another England goal

97 was more relief at the end ... we were the 'big team' and expected to win. They had Totten the gaffer we sacked, they'd beaten us in '57 ... plus we were Killie and we can drag defeat from certain glory.

2012 was very different. We went for a day out, hoping for the best but prepared for the worst... especially after the previous final. There was absolutely no pressure on us cos we were expected to be well beaten.

Tears were shed on both days ... especially 2012.

I woke up the morning of the 2012 final with one of the worst hangovers I've ever had in my life and at one point I was genuinely patching the game, I couldn't move. Thankfully I ploughed through and what a struggle it was but when that goal went in it was just the most amazing and surreal moment following Killie. When Cammy Bell made that save right at the start I just felt that something was a bit different from the usual hidings from the OF in Glasgow. 

For me 1997 was the better day, glorious weather, Ibrox far better venue than Hampden, 25,000 in blue and white, I was 14 and went with my dad. It was just a magical day but 2012 was more about the hardcore Killie support getting their just rewards for years of mocking and taunting from OF supporters.